Query

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Query

Post by browner »

I have a Sony dvd recorder...model rdr-hxd770 that i haven't used for a few years as i have a Virgin V+ hd box.

Anyway...i've decided to connect it to another tv so i can record off it but have discovered it needs a firmware update...now i've downloaded the update to a laptop...i now have to burn it to a CD-R but it states and i quote "Burn the update file onto a new blank CD-R or completely erased CD-RW disc using disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format.

I can burn to a disc...how can i be sure it complys with words underlined?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Query

Post by mikerob »

Disc-at-once means it records the content as one continuous file, compared to track-at-once which separates the files with a gap (as you can get between tracks on an audio CD)

ISO 9660 is a standard for how information is stored on a CD (the file system)

The application you are using to burn the CD should have preferences or settings that would allow you to change how it burns a CD so it is difficult to comment further without seeing what options the application has.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Cheers Mike...I'm going to download this http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home seems it will allow me to apply the settings I need.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Quote...
Burning the update disc using a packet writing software is not supported. (Packet writing is an optical disc recording technology used to allow writeable CD and DVD media to be used in a similar manner to a floppy disk).
How do you know if your burning software is PACKET WRITING?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Erm...I've never heard of packet writing before!
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

mikerob wrote:Erm...I've never heard of packet writing before!

Hmmmm...don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've set the burn to disc at once...can't see how to set the iso 9660...I've burned 2 discs neither of which work.

Thanks anyway Mike.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
V O R
Novice

Post by V O R »

Try going to imgburn.com. Download and install the free software. Open the programme and select write image file to disc. Select your file to be burnt under "source" using the browse for a file icon. Then hit the big icon at the bottom (looks like a page with an arrow to a disc) to burn the disc. Used this before for making firmware discs and usually works.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Possibly a silly question, but you are writing the image file to disc rather than saving the image file on to the disc?

I've seen this cause confusion in the past. As regards the the ISO standard, it's unlikely your software will write anything other than 9660 as default.

Edit:- BTW if it's Sony kit and you're prone to watching films from an "unapproved source" as it were, try to avoid upgrading the firmware if possible.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

V O R wrote:Try going to imgburn.com. Download and install the free software. Open the programme and select write image file to disc. Select your file to be burnt under "source" using the browse for a file icon. Then hit the big icon at the bottom (looks like a page with an arrow to a disc) to burn the disc. Used this before for making firmware discs and usually works.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
If I get a chance I'll try that today...thanks V O R.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Be wary Browner, do you really need the update ? I have a Toshiba DVD recorder and it used to record all Sky movies direct from box then it updated itself and now the vast majority, even old films, show as copy protected, can't be sure though if it was the update or something Sky did.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

It won't change my life if I can't update....it just means I'll be able to set recordings on the "guide plus" system and probably a few other things that I'm not aware of at the moment.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

AyeYerMa wrote:Possibly a silly question, but you are writing the image file to disc rather than saving the image file on to the disc?

I've seen this cause confusion in the past. As regards the the ISO standard, it's unlikely your software will write anything other than 9660 as default.

Edit:- BTW if it's Sony kit and you're prone to watching films from an "unapproved source" as it were, try to avoid upgrading the firmware if possible.
I think I'm writing it as opposed to saving it...also would this not be a data file as opposed to an image file?
Your wee edit does not apply...anyway here's the page I'm working off...
Sony Home Audio and Video : Firmware Download

09/02/2010
About this update :

RDR-HXD770 / 870 / 970 / 1070 as sold in all countries have a problem that Digital channel disappear . In order to resolve this issue, we have provided a firmware update to version 1.70 .

We at Sony apologise for any inconvenience you may have suffered as a result of the problem. Please be sure that updating the firmware will optimise the performance of your recorder and is part of our ongoing effort to maintain high product quality.

Warning:

Please confirm your recorder's model name on the front panel.

Please follow the update instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may interrupt the update process and may cause the recorder to be unresponsive or to require repair.
Do not power off the recorder or disconnect it from the AC power outlet. Loss of power during the installation of the firmware update may cause the recorder to be unresponsive or to require repair.
Before you start :

Use a good quality branded blank CD-R disc or completely erased CD-RW disc to burn the firmware update.
The recorder may not be able to correctly read a dirty disc or a disc with scratches.
You need a computer with a CD-R or CD-RW writer with burning software.

Check the recorder firmware version:

Power on the television and make sure it is tuned to the inputs to which the DVD recorder is connected.
Power on the DVD recorder.
On the remote control, press the SYSTEM MENU button.
Select Initial Setup .
Press the ENTER button.
Select Audio Out .
Press the ENTER button.
Select Dolby Digital Output .
Press the ENTER button.
Highlight Dolby Digital and press the ANGLE button.
The firmware version currently installed on the DVD recorder will be listed on the television screen as VERSION: . If the version number is 1.70 or higher , your DVD recorder does not need to be updated.
To exit, press the SYSTEM MENU button.
Download procedure :

You need to accept the disclaimer below before downloading the file.
Please read all the information carefully and thoroughly before downloading and installing any file. Failure to follow the instructions may cause the DVD recorder to be unresponsive or to require repair.
After you have accepted the disclaimer, save the update file to your computer Desktop.
When the update is complete, check that the file is 14,845,952 bytes.
To do so, right click the file, select "properties" and check that the "General" tab displays the following size information:

If the size information displayed on your computer is different, delete the downloaded file, clear your internet browser's cache and download it again.

Burn the update file onto a new blank CD-R disc or completely erased CD-RW disc using disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format.

Important notes:
Make sure that the disc session is closed / the disc is finalized.
Make sure the disc creation was correctly done without any error. In case of doubt, recreate a new update disc.
Burning the update disc using a packet writing software is not supported. (Packet writing is an optical disc recording technology used to allow writeable CD and DVD media to be used in a similar manner to a floppy disk).
Do not create the update disc using another process than the one described above.
Firmware update procedure

Do not turn off the DVD recorder or disconnect the DVD recorder from the power supply during the update process.
Doing so may damage your recorder and make it unusable, and would require a repair of DVD recorder.
Do not press any button, except as instructed, until the update is complete.
Doing so may damage your recorder and make it unusable, and would require a repair of DVD recorder.
The firmware update process may take approximately 8 minutes. First read the whole procedure before starting to update the firmware of your recorder.
The disc tray will automatically open during update. Please remove anything that could potentially obstruct the disc tray before updating.
Your DVD recorder will be reset to the factory default settings. After installing the update you will need to reconfigure your recorder.
Make sure that your TV set is correctly connected to your DVD recorder.
Power on your DVD recorder by pressing the POWER button.
Press the OPEN/ CLOSE button to open the disc tray.
Place the update disc on the disc tray.
On the DVD recorder , press the REC-STOP button at first, then press (Play) button at the same time. The tray closes automatically.
Do not perform any operations until update completes. When update starts, the TV's screen will disappear and will become black
The update starts automatically. "DISC-DWLD" appears on the front panel display.
(takes approximately 2 minutes.)
The tray opens automatically.

Remove the disc. Do not push the disc tray.
Please leave your DVD recorder as it is.
Do not turn off the DVD recorder or disconnect the DVD recorder from the power supply.
A series of different messages will appear on the front panel display. This is normal. Do not operate the recorder during that time.
(takes approximately 6 minutes.)
The tray closes automatically and the power turns off.
The update is complete now.

Note: if an error message appears, power off your DVD recorder and repeat the update procedure from the beginning.

Check the recorder firmware version:
Power on the television and make sure it is tuned to the inputs to which the DVD recorder is connected.
Power on the DVD recorder.
On the remote control, press the SYSTEM MENU button.
Select Initial Setup .
Press the ENTER button.
Select Audio Out .
Press the ENTER button.
Select Dolby Digital Output .
Press the ENTER button.
Highlight Dolby Digital and press the ANGLE button.
The firmware version currently installed on the DVD recorder will be listed on the television screen as VERSION: . If the version number is not 1.70 , repeat the update procedure from the beginning.
To exit, press the SYSTEM MENU button.

I have read the disclaimer and agree to the terms and conditions.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

When you download the update file, what is it called, or specifically what is the file extension (the bit after the . in the file name)?

Once you have the disc burned, if you open it on your PC what does the contents of the disk show?
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Mem for the first part and nothing for the second.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

browner wrote:Mem for the first part and nothing for the second.
Ah. There's been a degree of talking at cross purposes here then, I'd assumed it would be a disk image.

In that case all you need to do is write that file to an otherwise blank disk.

With cdburnerxp it should be a simple case of dragging and dropping the file, I wouldn't bother with any of the other settings mentioned as the default should be what you need.

I assume though that you've tried that!