How To Honour Nevin

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: How To Honour Nevin

Post by breakdown »

Too soon for talking about games etc but having Nevins name under the red hand would be nice.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I hope there will be some kind of tribute at our next home game v Connacht, like a minute's applause or silence for the fans to pay their respects.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

I'd be amazed if there wasn't a minutes silence / applause at every game in the league at the next round and black armbands worn by all sides also.

I'm sure the Ulster men behind the scenes will formulate an appropriate tribute to honor his memory.
horse
Novice

Post by horse »

it's going to be difficult to honour and properly prepare for the fixture and attend the funeral you would think- either decision would be understandable.

(also, maybe name the academy after him?)
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think the team should have their say.
I only hope this calamity serves to inspire rather than have the reverse effect.
He was all heart the fella and there was few more commited to the cause than he.
Thats why we all loved him.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Some of the interprovincials have trophys as far as I can remember from years ago ? Perhaps the Ravens v Munster fixture should be held each year for a trophy in his name ? In addition part of the takings for the day or a collection at the gate could be sent to the Ulster Farmers Union charity appeal they aid through Fields of Life http://www.ufuni.org/Africa_Appeal.aspx
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Some of the interprovincials have trophys as far as I can remember from years ago ? Perhaps the Ravens v Munster fixture should be held each year for a trophy in his name ? In addition part of the takings for the day or a collection at the gate could be sent to the Ulster Farmers Union charity appeal they aid through Fields of Life http://www.ufuni.org/Africa_Appeal.aspx
I didn't know Nevin, but I imagine, given the way he lived his life, that a fields of life collection and contribution would be an appropriate memorial.

They need £140,000. There's the target for the Nevin Spence School. I'm sure the other Irish team's fans could and would back this idea.
This is something the URSC could look at.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Rooster wrote:Some of the interprovincials have trophys as far as I can remember from years ago ? Perhaps the Ravens v Munster fixture should be held each year for a trophy in his name ? In addition part of the takings for the day or a collection at the gate could be sent to the Ulster Farmers Union charity appeal they aid through Fields of Life http://www.ufuni.org/Africa_Appeal.aspx
that is a good idea..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

I've only just heard the news,so sad, commiserations to his family.R.I.P.
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

Whilst a lot, if not all, of these suggestions have merit we are getting way ahead of ourselves I think. I do not know the Spence family but their feelings on this matter are paramount IMHO and I would imagine that it may be some time before they are in a position able to concentrate on how to honour the young man given the enormity of the loss they have suffered. Indeed, the family may choose to honour Noel, Graham & Nevin collectively away from rugby. Who knows?

Anyway, the family, who knew Nevin him better than any, are best placed to decide how he should be honoured/remembered by UR. We, and UR, will simply have to respect their wishes and support what decision is made. :red:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Issue a 'memorial programme "for the next game proceeds to go to an appropriate charity.

I would suggest that a Nevin Spence Thread of Remembrance be open on the this board for any messages etc
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Agree with FRB, let the family and if they want to involve UR decide how to remember the three that have passed.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I guess as fans, we all a touched with the grief and just feel that we want to contribute something. Since i heard the news this morning, I have had a tear in my eye and a sick feeling in my stomach. I can't even begin to imagine what the family and his friends are going through. I agree it's too early to be planning tributes and as FRB says, it's entirely up the family.

Gutted.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I hope the pro 12 will allow Ulster to cancel this weeks match because i can't see the squad training or playing with any real conviction this week.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I'm not sure if I'm breaking any confidences here, so won't name names, but a very high profile person within UR is heavily involved with that charity and has recently been to Uganda in support of it - it could be a runner.

However, FRB is correct - it is too soon, and the family's wishes should be paramount. It may be some time before they can even contemplate any such issues.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right