Ulster Schools 2012-2013.

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Ulster Schools 2012-2013.

Post by Beattiespastie »

I have to agree with the Ulster schools selection as it is nothing short of puzzling? I do not get the RBAI over representation and the MCB under representation? MCB swept the board this year and surely deserve a little bit more recognition on the team as do Ballyclare? .....strange :(
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I would think with McL involved more with the schools that will change (john21:6) :thumleft:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
sus5
Novice

Post by sus5 »

Well apparently the beat a poor Connaught Schools team on Wed........and thats good.....but I fear for them with the Munster game coming up next week.....with the Wooden Spoon last year surely our schools rugby is better that the results suggest ????
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Beattiespastie wrote:I have to agree with the Ulster schools selection as it is nothing short of puzzling? I do not get the RBAI over representation and the MCB under representation? MCB swept the board this year and surely deserve a little bit more recognition on the team as do Ballyclare? .....strange :(
What's the puzzle in this ?
An individual school can have a good team in general but other schools may have better individual players, many of our existing players didn't come from schools competition winning sides primarily because they were perhaps a standout individual in their side but overall the school had a crap team. MCB or any other side for that matter could sweep the boards this year but they could actually do it with a pretty average bunch of players who happen to play well together yet none of them could be the top players in their position in the provinces schools.
Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Rory Best and Stephen Ferris were not from all conquering schools sides, proof of what I have just tried to explain.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

exactly rooster. BP there are other schools apart from MCB!
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

sus5 wrote:Well apparently the beat a poor Connaught Schools team on Wed........and thats good.....but I fear for them with the Munster game coming up next week.....with the Wooden Spoon last year surely our schools rugby is better that the results suggest ????
Where did it say that it was a poor Connacht side ? What evidence have you. Their website said that they should have beaten Munster, yet you " fear for them ". Apparently they lost 2 forwards after 14 minutes and another one after 20 mts, including two props. That would suggest that they have done ok. No team gets a cheap victory in Galway at any level nowadays. After the pummeling they took against Leinster, I congratulate them on this result.
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

Beattiespastie wrote:I have to agree with the Ulster schools selection as it is nothing short of puzzling? I do not get the RBAI over representation and the MCB under representation? MCB swept the board this year and surely deserve a little bit more recognition on the team as do Ballyclare? .....strange :(
Because a school wins most of their competitive games, this does not give them the right to Representative selection. Please, as one who has knowledge of all things "Methody", let us know of the players you believe have been overlooked.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

The MCB side that won this years schools cup was pretty strong across the board but I am not going to split hairs over selection as the usual anti Methody cronies jump in and it gets daft. Let's hope they give a good account of themselves against Munster and perhaps young Gallagher can get. Run out :D
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

And I hope Methody retain the trophy this year but as ever the competition will be mighty!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote: but I am not going to split hairs over selection as the usual anti Methody cronies jump in and it gets daft.
What a load of crap.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

Beattiespastie wrote:The MCB side that won this years schools cup was pretty strong across the board but I am not going to split hairs over selection as the usual anti Methody cronies jump in and it gets daft. Let's hope they give a good account of themselves against Munster and perhaps young Gallagher can get. Run out :D
The MCB team that won the 2012 Schools Cup may well have been strong accross the board but the vast majority of them are also ineligible for this Ulster Schools U18 side due to their age. not sure what the are referred to in new money but most of the boys on this panel will be the 5th form or lower sixth in the previous school year

I'm with Rooster on this one. Let the powers that be (who watch a lot more schools rugby than you or I) select the best players available on merit, not on the back of what their all powerful school may or may not have achieved in the Schools Cup
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ringer wrote: I'm with Rooster on this one. Let the powers that be (who watch a lot more schools rugby than you or I) select the best players available on merit, not on the back of what their all powerful school may or may not have achieved in the Schools Cup
Problem is Ringer that did not always happen but it would appear the worm is turning, won't please some people but if it gets results long term so what .
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote: but I am not going to split hairs over selection as the usual anti Methody cronies jump in and it gets daft.
What a load of crap.
Totally agree, I don't care which schools they get the players from as long as they get the right ones, good grief they might even find kids in secondary schools :shock:
Rory Best
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Lets hope The selection process identifies the future stars of Ulster/ Irish rugby regardless of their school. I meant no disrespect to any of the lads currently selected for the Ulster schools squad as I have watched them all play for their schools and they are fine players to a man. I apologize for the anti Methody cronies remark as it was foolish and harsh, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it was fair to say I was 'talking crap' in this regard. Clearly the Ulster schools set up needs tweaking to make it competitive against the likes of Leinster schools. Having watched BLackrock down in Dublin this year it struck me how physically mature and conditioned the vast majority of players were...I could see our lads looking around for the schools team and then seeing the look on their faces change to despair when they realized the team they were looking at was roughly the same age as them ( six months older roughly). I don't know what they do differently at BLackrock but their side was huge and made our lads look like schoolboys playing men. Our boys gave a great account of themselves and the skill sets were on a par with BLackrock but size and conditioning was different level.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Beattiespastie wrote:. I don't know what they do differently at BLackrock but their side was huge and made our lads look like schoolboys playing men. Our boys gave a great account of themselves and the skill sets were on a par with BLackrock but size and conditioning was different level.
Older as you say plus dedicated rugby coaches in some of those private schools, they are treated and fed like professionals from early in their school life, wonder long term though is it good for the kids ?
Rory Best