President

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: President

Post by Shan »

She sure as hell isn't the brightest star in the sky my feathered friend. She did manage to poll some 15% of first preferences last time she went for the Presidential election and of course was elected an MEP. Mind you looking around the political class all over this dear isle she is not that badly out of place. Now that should be a concern but we are so used to having zero to low expectations of our elected representatives it isn't shocking.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan, I may be a know-nuttin' Nordybarsteward but I believe Dana's only constituency is the section of the population roughly located on the lunatic fringe of right wing catholicism. That that crowd were numbered at 15% of the voting public is or should be a matter of great concern for the immoral majority in your fair partitioned land.

I wonder has this "moral catholic mother" candidate made her views on clerical abuse clear ? I am at a loss to understand what she feels she potentially brings to the office of President.

Then again you could say that about most of the candidates - vote Michael D.

Keep the gunman out of Aras an Uachtarain. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

To an extent I agree Baggy but I wouldn't think the number of far right Catholics would be quite that high. She's also getting votes, in my opinion, from people who think she gives a sh1t about them because of the way she comes across as a non-threatening all loving individual.

It could be that high though and that would be a concern.

As for her views I have concerns about that in that she claims the accusations made against her brother are evil. This suggests to me that she thinks her niece was lying. This would be typical of right wing Catholics who think the reporting of family sexual abuse is worse than the abuse itself. That said there is currently no proof one way or the other.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Danas- ... 38148.html

Anyway f-ck her she has no hope of being elected. She can go back to America where she belongs as far as I'm concerned. Fecking ould traitor. :D
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Q: What's the difference between Dana and Marty?

A: Dana remembers all her hits!

apparently ....... allegedly
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

A joke from our dearly beloved and now safely returned Cap'n !! You been on the happy pills mate??

Anyway Cap'n dont 4get it's PR (or AV, STD or something like that) so i suggest

David Norris 1
Michael Higgins 2 (but dont forget the D)
Gay Mitchell 3
Mary Davis 4

Forget the rest. Vote for the best.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well polls about to close - the bag man or Michael D?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well polls about to close - the bag man or Michael D?
Give em a chance to count the votes--if this was our election we would know the result sometime on Monday!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jockster I was attempting to canvas opinion not an early declarAtion for this election
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

By all accounts it's over. Higgins walking it by a mile on early tallies. Gallagher needed to be at least 5% ahead on first tallies to stand a chance. Marty on about 15% so we'll soon have our Deputy Prime Minister back.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Buy Marty may "win" Donegal and possibly some other border counties too so he'll be happy enough.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Buy Marty may "win" Donegal and possibly some other border counties too so he'll be happy enough.
If Marty "Wins" Donegal can we have a 7 county NI? Sure NI folk own most of it already anyway :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Michael D Higgins has reportedly polled 50% in Limerick. Delighted to be able to say that for once Limerick people showing they support one of the better candidates rather than the dodgemerchant FF Gallagher or the usual FG vote in these parts.

Around the country he is polling very well and it looks like we have managed to defeat Gallagher, thank feck.

It will be interesting to see how the rest breaks down though. I'd actually take pleasure from McGuinness finishing ahead of the horrible and incredibly banal Mitchell. Mitchell's only interest all the way through this election was slagging off McGuinness and SF in general. Now I know they can look after themselves and I wouldn't lose any sleep about any politician getting a hard time but I'd prefer if Mitchell had been able to stick to telling us the reasons he is a suitable candidate. Then again this is impossible as there's simply no reason at all. At least Marty more or less did that plus he also dealt the hand that stopped Gallagher so gets a few positive points.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Buy Marty may "win" Donegal and possibly some other border counties too so he'll be happy enough.
And this is partly what it was about. Testing the water to see how SF are doing nationwide.

The attack on Gallagher was an attempt by SF to expose FF as the corrupt f-ckers they still are. It showed that it's not just Bertie and his crew but all of them who are dodge and cannot be trusted. FF are a danger to SF vote in the border areas. They have to be stopped, from SF's perspective. Also it does no harm at all to allow the rest of the country see what they are in case anybody was thinking about reclaiming their FF security blanket at the next election.

I expect SF to up their efforts significantly when it comes to the next General Election in Éire. It will be up to the people to decide whether they are ready to have SF increase their influence or not. Eventually as we go further down the road and some of the prominent figures start to fade away they will become just another political party, albeit a 32 county one IMO.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pwrmoore wrote:
If Marty "Wins" Donegal can we have a 7 county NI? Sure NI folk own most of it already anyway :lol:
There's plenty of apes in this part of the world who already think Donegal is "in the north". Even former leader Bertie thought Cavan was in NI. Now all that is left for ye to get yer grubby little paws on is Monaghan. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

:lol: :lol:

>TH >TH >TH
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Jockster I was attempting to canvas opinion not an early declarAtion for this election
Looks like it will be offically declared about 9 o'clock tonight.

Michael D Higgins 9th President of Ireland.

Born in Limerick, raised in Clare. You can't get too much better than that.
>TH