ROMAN POITE - GREAT SCRUMMAGE EXPERT OR NUMPTY ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: ROMAN POITE - GREAT SCRUMMAGE EXPERT OR NUMPTY ?

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:I think so, but they are large files so not certain if the email will accept them. I can but try. Hand delivery always possible. :wink:
You can use something like http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx which makes the file much smaller.

Thanks Lad.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Poite is having a great game in the European Cup final at the moment. I personally think he is a great ref.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Have to agree. He is not there because he is a numpty.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

gannonman wrote:Poite is having a great game in the European Cup final at the moment. I personally think he is a great ref.
Illegal scrummaging - both sides - ignored all game

First Northampton try resulted from off the ball tackle

Cynical off the ball play from Nhampton - including massive hit on sexton at 35 mins - ignored

Heaslip blocking for first two Leinster tries

Yeah, he's great.

The best you can say about him is that he misses so much he at least lets the game flow.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

aarons wrote:
gannonman wrote:Poite is having a great game in the European Cup final at the moment. I personally think he is a great ref.

Cynical off the ball play from Nhampton - including massive hit on sexton at 35 mins - ignored

Yeah, he's great.

The best you can say about him is that he misses so much he at least lets the game flow.
Just to add, his refereeing of the break down is bizarre. Missed a lot of coming in from the side, tackler not rolling away, tackler not releasing and then competing for breakdown, players competing off their feet, players going off their feet, but then again, he's not alone in this. Would definitely agree that his laissez-faire attitude helped the game to be a cracker but playing him would be a nightmare. Thought he was going to give Cullen the POC treatment when he started asking for a review of a possible try.

Still can't forgive him for his " i didn't give it because you asked for it" BS when we played N'hampton. Deserves a slap with a wet baguette just for that.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

stickinout wrote:
aarons wrote:

Yeah, he's great.

Just to add, his refereeing of the break down is bizarre. Missed a lot of coming in from the side, tackler not rolling away, tackler not releasing and then competing for breakdown, players competing off their feet, players going off their feet, but then again, he's not alone in this. Would definitely agree that his laissez-faire attitude helped the game to be a cracker but playing him would be a nightmare. Thought he was going to give Cullen the POC treatment when he started asking for a review of a possible try.

Still can't forgive him for his " i didn't give it because you asked for it" BS when we played N'hampton. Deserves a slap with a wet baguette just for that.

you should really hide this thread in case Neilf sees it. :wink: :lol:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
UtahOne
Novice

Post by UtahOne »

I said on another thread that other some sports, mainly US sports, have more officials/judges/referees.

I think that a rugby ref needs more eyes than humans are equipped with, so the best that can be hoped for is that they apply the rules impartially and that the fad in the media for hanging them out to dry for anything they miss or get wrong is removed. It just encourages everyone who thinks they know anything about the game of rugby to lash out at officials.

If you analyse how you watch sport, you mainly watch your own players in a positive expectation & airbrush their illegalities while you take offense at every illegality against them & store it. At the end of every game you decide that your guys have had a bum deal from the official, specially if you are on the wrong side of the result. Pretty sure that if you ever objectively think about it, thats what you do - everyone does, its what being a supporter makes you do.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

UtahOne wrote:I said on another thread that other some sports, mainly US sports, have more officials/judges/referees.

I think that a rugby ref needs more eyes than humans are equipped with, so the best that can be hoped for is that they apply the rules impartially and that the fad in the media for hanging them out to dry for anything they miss or get wrong is removed. It just encourages everyone who thinks they know anything about the game of rugby to lash out at officials.

If you analyse how you watch sport, you mainly watch your own players in a positive expectation & airbrush their illegalities while you take offense at every illegality against them & store it. At the end of every game you decide that your guys have had a bum deal from the official, specially if you are on the wrong side of the result. Pretty sure that if you ever objectively think about it, thats what you do - everyone does, its what being a supporter makes you do.
Yes.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Did anyone watch England v Tonga

where the above ref gave 3 penalty trys to the team who was the most illegal.

ie not once did the English front row push forward . Stevens and the hooker in every scrum were pushing to the left which is illegal

Law 20 8 (i) lift or forcing an opponent up
A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum either when the ball is being trown in or afterwards this dangerous play
thus the penalty should have been awarded against the English for forcing their opponents out of the scrum not against the tongans for coming up when forced out of the scrum.

At least he was consistantly wrong but to get 21 points for illegal play is a unforgiveably bad refereeing
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lanzaman
Initiate

Post by Lanzaman »

rumncoke wrote: Law 20 8 (i) lift or forcing an opponent up
A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum either when the ball is being trown in or afterwards this dangerous play
thus the penalty should have been awarded against the English for forcing their opponents out of the scrum not against the tongans for coming up when forced out of the scrum.
Didn't see that game, but in any games I've watched on telly, it seems to always be the 'popper-upper' in the front row who gets pinged. So, does the opposition just force them up very slyly or is it being refereed incorrectly?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Exactly the guy whp pops get pinged ,but nine times out of ten it is due to boring ie pushing to either the left or right in an upward direction by his opposite number The Saints used their loosehead and hooker England were using the tighthead and hooker the result is usually the same - A prop and hooker have to come up out of the scrum and the front row breaks apart as the law states it is dangerous play its only because the props weigh in at 18stone plus that they are not lifted off their feet and with full weight of the scrum on their neck.

Normally a prop on his line would not want to come up because if you do there is no resistance to the shove of the opposition.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

I watched the Baby Boks v Ireland U20 game last night

same thing - the huge SA pack were actually not very good at scrumtime and to counter the strong irish push the front rows kept standing up straight after the ball was delivered. Only once did i recall the referee pinging the baby boks, mostly it was resets with a warning to the boks!

really gets my goat, reset with warning. If that's not penalising territory, I don't know what is.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

But John -e where the Irish forcing them up that is the question

MY view of it was that the Irish were actually second best in the srcum and going back with both number 8 and scrum half under pressure at the base .

Again SA got away with the early shove

Law 20 1 (i)

Stationery and parrallel Until the ball Leaves the scrum half's hands the scrum must be stationery and the mi ... goal line A team must not shove the scrum away from the mark before the ball is throw in
free kick.

Of course the feed by both sides was nearly into the second rows but the put in is seldom refereed which is to a degree understandable assuming that during the course of a game the offences should balance.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

rumncoke wrote:But John -e where the Irish forcing them up that is the question

MY view of it was that the Irish were actually second best in the srcum and going back with both number 8 and scrum half under pressure at the base .

Again SA got away with the early shove

Law 20 1 (i)

Stationery and parrallel Until the ball Leaves the scrum half's hands the scrum must be stationery and the mi ... goal line A team must not shove the scrum away from the mark before the ball is throw in
free kick.

Of course the feed by both sides was nearly into the second rows but the put in is seldom refereed which is to a degree understandable assuming that during the course of a game the offences should balance.
no they weren't. Quite clearly no. The SA scrum poppped up in unison each time and very quickly to boot. There wasn't enough time for Ireland to force the pop by exerting upward motion. It was an obvious ploy to combat a front row shove that these big guys were quite simply unprepared for