Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by Beattiespastie »

CCB shaded it...just...
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

YoungMan wrote:Well done Campbell Just CI to win Q2 :wink:
well provided they can keep on dodging their games against donaghadee they should be alright
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

CCB thoroughly deserved their win... although Crooks was really lucky not to be given a red card rather than a yellow. Scholes looked to be the best player on the pitch by far and maybe the only one who might have the ability to play at a higher level. At least unlike other boy Jamie Smith he has a bit of size.
The future isn't what it used to be
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

Scholes looked like a very good player indeed, also impressed with both blindsides, some good tackling and breakdown work.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Fly Half wrote:CCB thoroughly deserved their win... although Crooks was really lucky not to be given a red card rather than a yellow. Scholes looked to be the best player on the pitch by far and maybe the only one who might have the ability to play at a higher level. At least unlike other boy Jamie Smith he has a bit of size.
Couldnt see what Crooks done maybe someone could enlighten me. But I had a clear view of a neck breaking tackle that deserved a red but no yellow not even a talking to ?????????? I though the ref had a poor game

Bit disappointed at the cheering of an element of the CCB crowd first half and the RBAI second half.

It was a nervy match (not helped by the ref slowing things down) but CCB were frightening when the backs got a run. :cheers: CCB deserved it.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

rugbymad wrote:Couldnt see what Crooks done maybe someone could enlighten me. Knee to head (possibly twice). But I had a clear view of a neck breaking tackle I am sure on reflection that you did not intend 'neck breaking' - perhaps 'high'?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I thought RBAI battled well and for all the talk this season CCB were not anything special but just deserved the win thanks to the excellent Scholes who looks a good prospect. I thought the referee had a good game and his only glaring mistake was not sin binning the Inst lad for the accidental high tackle which had more to do with the CCB players quick feet and movement. How anyone can claim to have missed the CCB player kneeing the INST player on the ground especially after the slow motion reply is a mystery to me....it should have been a straight red.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Beattiespastie wrote:I thought RBAI battled well and for all the talk this season CCB were not anything special but just deserved the win thanks to the excellent Scholes who looks a good prospect. I thought the referee had a good game and his only glaring mistake was not sin binning the Inst lad for the accidental high tackle which had more to do with the CCB players quick feet and movement. How anyone can claim to have missed the CCB player kneeing the INST player on the ground especially after the slow motion reply is a mystery to me....it should have been a straight red.
horlix that was never a red and the tackle was not worth a yellow either, right decision on both I thought as a neutral.
Slow motion always looks far worse than it is in something like that and the amount of knee movement was not great.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Well done to all involved--win or lose it is an exceptional achievement that you will never forget.

I'm concerned by the Belfast dominance in recent years---it must be quite tempting for the better players in other schools not to consider moving to another school after GCSEs for a better opportunity in the school's cup.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Rooster wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:I thought RBAI battled well and for all the talk this season CCB were not anything special but just deserved the win thanks to the excellent Scholes who looks a good prospect. I thought the referee had a good game and his only glaring mistake was not sin binning the Inst lad for the accidental high tackle which had more to do with the CCB players quick feet and movement. How anyone can claim to have missed the CCB player kneeing the INST player on the ground especially after the slow motion reply is a mystery to me....it should have been a straight red.
horlix that was never a red and the tackle was not worth a yellow either, right decision on both I thought as a neutral.
Slow motion always looks far worse than it is in something like that and the amount of knee movement was not great.
I did not see the match on tv, I failed to see the knee but had a clear veiw of the high tackle I would have thought it deserved a word from the ref, but ill bow to the neutral opinion on both counts.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

rugbymad wrote:
Rooster wrote:
I did not see the match on tv, I failed to see the knee but had a clear veiw of the high tackle I would have thought it deserved a word from the ref, but ill bow to the neutral opinion on both counts.
To be honest I think he almost forgot what the penalty was for due to sorting out the handbags that ensued after the high tackle thereby explaining the lack of talking too - haven't seen replay but it looked really bad live and have seen yellow's for less. Also haven't seen the replay of the yellow card incident but if it was a knee to the head as described then it should have been red.

Campbell looked nervous first half but when they got some ball they were always threatening. RBAI were 1 dimensional and seemed to be playing for penalties - they improved massively after changing their scrum half and it would have been interesting if they had played like that for the whole game - have heard the grounding of their try though has been questioned - any views on that?

Think the right team won on the day
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

The right team won as when they got the ball wide CCB always threatened but it was a valiant effort by the INST lads who made it into a good final. I completely stand by what I said in relation to the knee to head incident as you clearly had an INST lad on the floor who couldnt get out of the way and the CCB player used his knee twice and could have struck the INST lad on the temple and we would have had a serious injury..it was malicious and deserved red and it really annoys me when people try to defend that behaviour on ANY rugby field. Rugby is a good old rough and tumble contact sport but when defensless players are targetted on the ground,as in this instance,it has to be frowned upon and cards issued.Well done Campbell on a good win and a hard fought campaign.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

the ccb full-back looked a serious player.
seemed to be head and shoulders above everyone else on the field

both campbell centres impressed, as did both ccb flankers.

at schools level there will always be a few who look to be a bit small and both sets of halfbacks did.
wingers - for both teams - didnt actually have a great deal of involvement although the ccb score at the end was taken very well...

======

sadly for rugby a lot of these guys will now have taken rugby as far as they ever will and wont bother playing it again. its understandable given the focus that the 'big rugby schools' put on the schools cup sides - early morning fitness/weights, after school sessions - totaling a serious amount of hours/week on top of A levels.

some will go to uni and play for social sides - eg queens 4ths are a serious outfit who train once a week and duff most teams on a saturday. some will play qualifying rugby because it wont take up their life.

I'd suspect a small number will end up in senior rugby

of the 30 players on show - probably about 2-3 will end up playing professional rugby?

but the vast majority of these guys - for their age the most talented players in the country/province - will be kissing serious rugby goodbye
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Beattiespastie wrote:The right team won as when they got the ball wide CCB always threatened but it was a valiant effort by the INST lads who made it into a good final. I completely stand by what I said in relation to the knee to head incident as you clearly had an INST lad on the floor who couldnt get out of the way and the CCB player used his knee twice and could have struck the INST lad on the temple and we would have had a serious injury..it was malicious and deserved red and it really annoys me when people try to defend that behaviour on ANY rugby field. Rugby is a good old rough and tumble contact sport but when defensless players are targetted on the ground,as in this instance,it has to be frowned upon and cards issued.Well done Campbell on a good win and a hard fought campaign.
No one defended "that behaviour" I asked did anyone see the yellow card. In fact you were the one defending high tackles. I know a lad who had serious spinal injury from one such tackle so I'm sorry if im a tad touchy there. I would prefer to think there was no mallice in either incident.

It was a fair game of rugby, well worth watching and well done both sets of boys.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

if you're talking about 'malice' or intent

the knee from the ccb player was intended. INST lad was probably trying to spoil and it was a not-so-gentle warning to stop it.
either that or the INST lad threw an egg a few years ago, caught this lad on the jumper.... or maybe a bit of previous between the 2 in another form

the high tackle that led to the scuffle - that was a mistake
he was stepped and just threw himself at the guy; that he laid hands on him at all was quite remarkable

i saw that one as no intent of tacking high - rather just one of those things that can happen.

gushers comments though about tackling from the front being the dangerous one and from the back - ie not at the throat - wasnt so bad... stupid gusher stupid
both can be dangerous and both can result in a guys head snapping backwards...