Where did it all go wrong?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ulster throw in
Initiate

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by Ulster throw in »

Very interesting to hear some of your views. I agree with what some have said here on other posts that we need to concentrate on the knock out in the Magners and use to our advantage the lack of European games in our schedule.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I think we can talk "ifs' & "buts" until the end of the season but the reality is that our European adventure is over .... for this year anyway.

I really feel that the team, both on the pitch and the coaches off it have really given us something to cheer and be proud of this season. But it ain't over yet!! This young squad can only learn from the experience in Europe this year and hopefully the so near yet so far scenario of the past 2 days will spur them on to make sure we're in the top four come the playoffs!!

Come on ULSTERRRRRRRRRRR!!!

ps yea probably not closing out the Embra match
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We are not a great expansive team home or away, but we are hard to beat.
We don’t score many tries, we never did, but we don’t concede many either. Humph used to kick teams into submission.
The BP and tries scored criteria are both against us.

What do we need to change this?
quicker delivery and a better Flyhalf....
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Perhaps a tad harsh. But the truth is we did fall short of the mark. I wonder whether the monkey on their back played a part on any conservatism on behalf of BMc. Was he scared of playing an open game like the Blues did today and getting thumped by Bath, still no win on English soil, and out to boot. I dont know only the man himself can answer that one?!
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Am I the only person who really isn't that fussed about missing the Amlin cup?

Of course it would be a great away trip and playing a 1/4 final in Europe but for me it's all about the Heineken Cup or nothing.

At least this way we showed good progression from previous seasons and can focus fully on the magners. We have to push and make sure we make the top 4 in the league this season.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

The Amlin is like the Carling Cup in football. Nice if your team wins it but you don't give a ># about it if your side's not involved. Bar Northampton last year (as I watched the game drunk in a pub) I couldn't tell you - or care - who won the previous tournaments
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

The last time I saw UIster win away in a European game was Treviso, and how many years ago was that???????

So to win, and to win in style on Saturday was absolutely fantastic. The boys did us proud, and frankly, I'm not that bothered re playing some naff team like Newcastle in the Amblin.

Surely this is a turning point for Ulster, and next year will be even better.

I can feel it....and besides I dropped two quid into the wishing pool in the Roman baths, hence the Goddess Minerva owes me one!

pip pip. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

RHH - wind yer neck in

BMcL was entirely right to select NO'C ahead of iHumph for several reasons.
NO'C played well and gave us the territory in the first half when we dominated.
NO'C defended the '10 channel' admirably - could have been a v different story early on if IH was defending Little and Hape coming down and through and over him.
IH was carrying an injury - suspect that was why he was not brought on for last 10-15.

BPs are were it is at unless you can win 2 away games. Which we should have done. Losing BP in Paris would also have got us through on match differential v SDF.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Freddie Benson wrote:RHH - wind yer neck in

NO'C defended the '10 channel' admirably - could have been a v different story early on if IH was defending Little and Hape coming down and through and over him.
IH was carrying an injury - suspect that was why he was not brought on for last 10-15.

BPs are were it is at unless you can win 2 away games. Which we should have done. Losing BP in Paris would also have got us through on match differential v SDF.

On the money there FB.

Of course McL isnt going to tell folk in a pub that he picked a (half)crocked outhalf on the bench because he has no-one else to call on.

NOC was feeling his way a bit, and had more encouraging moments than i can rememeber all last season. A couple of kicks and restarts aside, he wasnt bad. He was given a strict gameplan and for a man of his age and inexperience thats what he needs, so well done to the coaching staff for pulling that one off.

Anyone stopped to think about the sending off? Ulster therafter were deprived of their major source of penalties :P
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
If Humph was injured, which i don't think he was, it can't have been that serious or else he would not have been on the bench and qualification is certainly something he could/should have been risked for. Paddy illustrated, albeit too late, what a bit pf unpredictability could do to their, understandably, tiring defence. Humphreys would have been in his element.

The failure to progress beyond the group stages is not the end of the world but it should not be skimmed over either.
Agree- my thoughts too- especially regarding having an injured player on the bench- no point in naming him if he can't play?
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
Freddie Benson wrote:RHH - wind yer neck in

If Humph was injured, which i don't think he was, it can't have been that serious or else he would not have been on the bench and qualification is certainly something he could/should have been risked for.
Humphries had the flu last week and hadnt fully shaken it off.

Come on guys....
With the amount of negativity and pessimism at the start of the season, I personally think that we really should feel that our glass is half full. We have a platform to progress over the next few seasons, young players have been blooded and this will stand us in good stead. A few top quality signings in the right areas will give us a real shot of mounting a serious challenge on all fronts.

On another note, I wonder will Brian give a quiet mention to Dainelli this morning about his missed opportunity to send Smith in under the posts.... :oops:
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I still think lack of experience at this level of rugby is a factor... it is this sort of experience that means Leinster or Munster can close out a winning position in the last quarter, or salvage a losing BP, or grab a try BP, because they've been there before and know they can do it. The return of Rory and an "enforcer" type of second row should provide lots of leadership in the pack, but there is still the lack of a "go to" player in the backs.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Mikerob - I agree

Rory and a good 2nd row will add a lot to this team however it was very obvious on saturday that our midfield players are far too small, most teams have centres as big as backrow forwards, although I suppose having 2 100kg+ wings compensates that
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Humphreys was 100% fit.

There was a close-up of Ian on Sky when there was about 15 minutes to go and he looked so relaxed and laid back. He certainly didn't look like a guy who was "chomping at the bit" or even expecting to go onto the field to play.

The mystery is - if he was injured why didn't McLoughlin put Whitton on the bench?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Off the Top wrote: if he was injured why didn't McLoughlin put Whitton on the bench?
Calculated gamble. If IH is 70% or 80% fit, he's a better fly half than the other options, of which there is only Paddy i guess.