The End of an Era

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

The End of an Era

Post by scrum5 »

What a season it has been, one that I would rather put behind us and look forward to the one that lies ahead. We have had a change with Matt Williams eventually replacing Mark McCall even though it took more time than it should have. The season was long gone by the time MW took control. Also the delay and uncertainty of him being appointed head coach had a knock on effect with players coming to the end of contracts not knowing what was happening they looked elsewhere and many got themselves new clubs, Tommy Bowe, Roger Wilson, Neil Best, Neil McMillan, Kieran Campbell, Mark Bartholomeusz and the fans favourite Justin Harrison (even though he wanted to stay) these players will be missed and for all of them I wish them well for the future and hope to see some of them back again wearing the white of Ulster Rugby. While these players are leaving to further their career others are leaving for different reasons, Simon Best for medical reasons and David Humphreys after many years service at Ravenhill is hanging up his boots, we wish both of these players all the best for the future and to let them know that there will always be a place for them in the hearts of the Ulster Supporters. While some are leaving others are staying, Rory Best, Ryan Caldwell, Tom Court, Matt McCullough, Paddy Wallace and Kieron Dawson have all signed up for a few more seasons and we thank them for their loyalty to UR. When MW arrived he made it a priority to blood some of the younger members of the squad such as Darren Cave, Declan Fitzpatrick, Paul Marshall, Chris Henry and Mark McCrea, this will hopefully benefit them in the long term as they establish themselves as first team regulars. Even with all the turmoil we still managed to secure Heineken Cup rugby for next season and I would have gladly settled for that mid season when we were rooted to the bottom of the Magners and out of the Heineken with only 3 wins, 1 draw and 11 defeats up to that point. Hopefully MW will be able to start building a team with the players we have, those who are coming through and some quality new signings, we will once again be a team challenging for silverware both home and in Europe, I don’t think it will be next season or even the next and possibly not even the one after that, but as long as there is progress each season and MW is given the time and the resources I do believe that the good times will be back and that we will have a team that we the supporters will be proud of. In closing even though it has not been a great year for the team I would like to thank everyone that makes up Ulster Rugby whither they are leaving, retiring or staying and wish them well in the future wherever they will be.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
rugbymunchkin
Initiate
Location: Between South Belfast and Larne... About ballyclare!

Re: The End of an Era

Post by rugbymunchkin »

hear hear! definitely not going to be a quick fix, and amazing turnaround next season! lets hope the young boyos come good though :)
If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, but you'll be hard to beat!!!
http://nazwarner.bebo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Dont know about the rest of you but im certainly lookinf forward to the 2008/2009 GP to begin to see how Rog, Neil and Neil get on against some seriously big boys week in week out instead of the odd big guy in the ML!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
LB06
Novice

Post by LB06 »

This next season will be important to see how the team regroups and collects themselves from all the turbulence this previous season has provided. It may be an end of the era, however I like to look at it is a new and exciting time for the team to develop and move forward.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Best wishes and good health to all those who have retired or moved on, as they say in the East............

" the heel of a wee brown loaf " lads! :salut:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

fuzzylogic wrote:Dont know about the rest of you but im certainly lookinf forward to the 2008/2009 GP to begin to see how Rog, Neil and Neil get on against some seriously big boys week in week out instead of the odd big guy in the ML!
I really don't think you'll be seeing much of them in the GP next year. Apart from Neil Best the others will be lucky to get the odd bench appearance.