Re: Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

Post by cables »

Take it you watched the 'insight' CT.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

In the light of the past few weeks problems of Ian junior I would like to think that wingnut Poots will come clean on all his connections with the Maze site and some of the developers and those who submitted plans for the stadium and other proposals.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

I think so!
That's twice in one day I have been forced to agree with you Rooster :shock:
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Nah, they all play the ostrich game and then when the coast seems clear they will emerge to give themselves a 'well earned' 18% pay rise :roll:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GerryO' wrote:I think so!
That's twice in one day I have been forced to agree with you Rooster :shock:
That's scary :lol:
I did send an email to my assembly members of the ones I know off just in case they didn't know :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

THE former parliamentary commissioner for standards, Sir Alastair Graham, has called for the assembly to review its ministerial code of conduct.

He said it was essential to create a system where all potential conflicts of interests were removed.

"It needs to be addressed if we are going to have high ethical standards amongst politicians in NI," he said.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:
THE former parliamentary commissioner for standards, Sir Alastair Graham, has called for the assembly to review its ministerial code of conduct.

He said it was essential to create a system where all potential conflicts of interests were removed.

"It needs to be addressed if we are going to have high ethical standards amongst politicians in NI," he said.
They will all have to go :lol:
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Irish Independent wrote:Consultant's report recommends 38,000 seater stadium for Maze site

Tuesday February 19 2008

A £240 (€318) million multi-sports stadium project for Northern Ireland should be built at the former Maze prison, a leaked consultants' report revealed today.

The fully-costed feasibility study found that the site outside Lisburn represented the best value for money for a 38,500-seat venue for rugby, football and Gaelic games.

The business case, which was compiled by consultants from PricewaterhouseCoopers, is currently being reviewed by Stormont Finance Minister Peter Robinson before being passed to his Executive colleagues.

The PWC report examined a range of options, including a hypothetical stadium in north Belfast and the refurbishment of the three sporting bodies' existing venues.

It has recommended that the government press ahead with plans for the all-seater venue at the Maze/Long Kesh (MLK) site.

It is estimated that the stadium would cost £126 (€166) million to build and would need an additional £114 (€151) million investment to improve the transport infrastructure around the isolated site.

However, the consultants said a venue at Long Kesh had the potential to generate significant revenue and claimed that the overall cost to the taxpayer after the first fours years of operation would be £37 (€49) million.

It was working on the basis that the Maze venue would host 23 major sporting and music events in a year and attract just under 500,000 paying spectators. The stadium would accommodate six or seven Northern Ireland football matches, five or six GAA matches and three Ulster rugby games each year.

All three sporting bodies - the IFA, GAA and IRFU - have provisionally signed up to the Maze site.
A lot of different figures than have been quoted before although I did hear about a year ago that the entire cost including infrastructure would be in the £200 million plus bracket.
They must reckon on 8 to 10 other events other than the 3 sports mentioned and not big crowds as 23 into 500,000 works out at around 27k per event average.
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Interesting addition on the u.tv version http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=87616&pt=n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The report stated: "Our conclusion therefore is that option 5, a three sport stadium at the MLK site which has an NPC (net cost) of £36.9 million, is the preferred option."
I wonder what the other 4 options are or are there even more than 5 options ?
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Is this a new or updated "leaked PWC report" or are these figures the same as the one that was produced a few years ago...?

I don't have that one to hand to do a comparison...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:They must reckon on 8 to 10 other events other than the 3 sports mentioned and not big crowds as 23 into 500,000 works out at around 27k per event average.
This is probably for concerts. The capacity of places like Twickenham and Wembley for concerts is about two thirds of the capacity for sports events. Prices for concert tickets at these places are comparable/higher to tickets for international rugby/football at the same venues.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

It has not moved closer for me.

This view is not only my politically promted view but also specifically my view in relation to the ‘so called’ shared sporting environment as envisaged by the Maze/ Long Kesh project.

The proposed tribute to a convicted IRA bomber inside Stormont has went too far for me.

I no longer believe that a shared future can be aspired to and I am somewhat saddened by that. One would have thought that they (Sein Fein - http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=87693&pt=n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) would have been more politically aware. Perhaps they were and know what the reaction(s) to the proposal will be.

As a voter in NI, I have been ‘sold a pup’ regarding a shared future.

I have always seen the potential for a ‘conflict and resolution centre’ being used by Republicans as propaganda but I have not previously stated so.

I now add another ‘against’ box to my originally ‘rugby based’ aversion to the Maze Stadium.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Seems like this is the same 2005 PWC Report which is already available for anyone to read being spun as some new 'leaked consultants report' and as such this should be seen for what it is.

As for the siting of the National Stadium at the Maze I have many reasons why I think the case for a Belfast stadium would be better none of which are political. However the condition that a 'terrorist shrine' must be made part of any such build at the Maze is one reason why I will never cross its door. The fact that the government later moved to add 'some loyalist' part of the prison into the conflict & resolution zone IMHO only added further insult.

People will have their own views on what this so called celebration at Stormont may or may not be I for one don't want to see a National Stadium for NI being linked to such events and for me with the conditions that we can't have one without the other ensures this. The fact that to gain cross party support they also had to move the playing area to ensure it didn't actually sit on any prison ground and therefore not to offend any of those 'great war heroes' is further proof of the politics behind it. My personal view and not a political statement.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

The proposed tribute to a convicted IRA bomber inside Stormont has went too far for me.
Apparently under the guise of "International Womens Day"...................why don't they hold it in Malmaison, great deal for weemin in there. :lol:

Shared future my ar%e...............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7259858.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

browner wrote:
Shared future my ar%e...............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7259858.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WTF have sheep in the Mournes got to do with this browner :scratch:
Rory Best