What are you listening to?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by big mervyn »

Stax at the Proms on iPlayer. Tremendous stuff.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'm listening to the greatest band (duo plus innumerable musicians) who ever played - some may think this hyperbole but it's simple fact - Steely Dan. Feeling a tad morose at the sad news that Walter Becker died today (ok yesterday) and sorry that some friends who have admired them for life and thought they would finally get to see them play in Ireland in October will now at best see Donald Fagan & friends.

I've been listening to them since the 1970's, bought everything they ever issued. They rarely toured or played live events, they never felt they could recreate perfection of the studio live, and for years, wouldn't settle for less. Great music, clever lyrics & to my ears, unique sound, genuinely unique, I've never heard any one or band remotely like them.

I had been sad anyway given the death of my pet rat Elvis, what were the odds he would go that way - caught in a trap. Frigging show off.

Anyway, Walter, Walter, Walter, why did you have to go, so sad, hoped to get another album or two out of you. :(

RIP Walter Becker.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

Listening to The Royal Scam and Aja my two fave SD albums. Fond memories of rushing into the Gramophone shop in city centre to buy them on vinyl when they came out.

RIP Mr Becker.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

6 albums in 6 years culminating in Aja, all of them excellent though they hated the recording of Katy Lied which was done on some new fangled system. Nothing then for 3 years and Gaucho was ok but not magic. Then a 20-year wait & 2 more albums in 3 years, both enjoyable and then................ that was it.

I'm very fond of Pretzel Logic, very whimsical lyrics and great music, but Aja is the one everybody seems to regard as the peak. Maybe that's why they only ever recorded three more albums in 30 years and more. Very tough for perfectionists who think they have produced their perfection.

Never had any sort of number one anywhere in the world as far as I know, my type of band. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

caledoniancelt wrote:Listening to The Royal Scam and Aja my two fave SD albums. Fond memories of rushing into the Gramophone shop in city centre to buy them on vinyl when they came out.

RIP Mr Becker.
Can't remember the name of the record shop on Carlisle Road in the 70s in Derry, the guy was well known in music circles. That is where we got most of ours, Mrs T also an aficionado, indeed as she is of John Martyn, I think it must have been her taste in music that did the trick. If she'd owned Beatles albums it would never have worked.

Living in Derry in the seventies, of course, we both loved the Undertones, I still do, her not so much. They were about as far from sophisticated Steely Dan as you'd get at the time. :lol:

I know of one other man who is saddened here Celt apart from us. I'm cooking a roast of beef tonight that I couldn't be bothered cooking yesterday, think I know what I'll be listening to whilst cooking, 2-3 hours of pure class. :thumleft:
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
caledoniancelt wrote:Listening to The Royal Scam and Aja my two fave SD albums. Fond memories of rushing into the Gramophone shop in city centre to buy them on vinyl when they came out.

RIP Mr Becker.
Can't remember the name of the record shop on Carlisle Road in the 70s in Derry, the guy was well known in music circles. That is where we got most of ours, Mrs T also an aficionado, indeed as she is of John Martyn, I think it must have been her taste in music that did the trick. If she'd owned Beatles albums it would never have worked.

Living in Derry in the seventies, of course, we both loved the Undertones, I still do, her not so much. They were about as far from sophisticated Steely Dan as you'd get at the time. :lol:

I know of one other man who is saddened here Celt apart from us. I'm cooking a roast of beef tonight that I couldn't be bothered cooking yesterday, think I know what I'll be listening to whilst cooking, 2-3 hours of pure class. :thumleft:
I intend revisiting the other Steely Dan catalogue over the next week or two which involves
rummaging through boxes of CDs in my spare room. If I had only had all my collection on shelves in alphabetical or chronological order it would be so much easier. Enjoy your roast beef and . whatever liquid you wash it down with. I'm driving daughter around tonight so tee total and Pretzel Logic in the car CD player.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Whilst obviously not a Steely Dan album, I think that Donald Fagans 'The Nightfly' is one of the best albums of all time.
>you_rock
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

colind wrote:Whilst obviously not a Steely Dan album, I think that Donald Fagans 'The Nightfly' is one of the best albums of all time.
>you_rock

Couldn't agree more, it's an amazing listen.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

caledoniancelt wrote:
colind wrote:Whilst obviously not a Steely Dan album, I think that Donald Fagans 'The Nightfly' is one of the best albums of all time.
>you_rock

Couldn't agree more, it's an amazing listen.
Let's put it this way if one of them had to go, sorry Walter but it's you. Fagen is the voice of 99% of the classics they co-wrote. Walter without Donald wouldn't work, Donald without Walter still has chops and as you gents confirm, Fagen has produced some tasty stuff solo.

Sorry, Walter, it's a pretty cold way to look at it but accurate.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Having availed of tickets for their show in Dublin on 30th October, I am somewhat gutted to hear the sad news but relieved to hear that DF and the band are going to keep bringing their glorious music to the fans.
His death at 68 was too early and the same can be said of a lot of the musicians who became legends in the 1970s, Glen Frey pretty recently, too.
On the other hand, how Uncle Joe Walsh remains upright (more or less) is something of a latter-day miracle - but we don't believe in miracles so it must be the preservative effect of several million gallons of the hard stuff.
Anyway, rock on, Walter!!!
Bo***cks to Brexit
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

caledoniancelt wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

RIP Mr Becker.

I intend revisiting the other Steely Dan catalogue over the next week or two which involves
rummaging through boxes of CDs in my spare room. If I had only had all my collection on shelves in alphabetical or chronological order it would be so much easier. Enjoy your roast beef and . whatever liquid you wash it down with. I'm driving daughter around tonight so tee total and Pretzel Logic in the car CD player.
The beef was lovely washed down with a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape that my son bought me for my birthday. Aja, followed by a mix I have saved on Amazon Prime. A good night. :thumleft:

Hope you enjoyed Pretzel Logic if not the chauffeur duty. I listened to Charlie Freak amongst my compilation. A salutary tale of the depths of misfortune, the opportunistic behaviour of a scoundrel & ultimate goodness of the human spirit coming through, pure gold.

Charlie Freak had but one thing to call his own
Three weight ounce pure golden ring no precious stone
Five nights without a bite
No place to lay his head

And if nobody takes him in
He'll soon be dead
On the street he spied my face I heard him hail
In our plot of frozen space he told his tale

Poor man, he showed his hand
So righteous was his need
And me so wise I bought his prize
For chicken feed

Newfound cash soon begs to smash a state of mind
Close inspection fast revealed his favorite kind
Poor kid, he overdid
Embraced the spreading haze

And while he sighed his body died
In fifteen ways

When I heard I grabbed a cab to where he lay
'Round his arm the plastic tag read D.O.A.
Yes Jack, I gave it back
The ring I could not own

Now come my friend I'll take your hand
And lead you home
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The new Morrissey single :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bit of Pat McManus. Went to see the man himself at the Empire on Saturday. Always excellent - has to be one of the best rock musicians currently drawing breath on this island.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Grainne Duffy launches her new album in the Black Box on Thursday night.

Should be a good evening if past performances are anything to go by.

>you_rock
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Good lineup for 25th Anniversary of Jools Hollands 'Later' show from Royal Albert Hall. BBC2 tomorrow night (Sat 23rd)

Foo Fighters, Paul Weller, Van Morrison, Dizzee Rascal, KT Tunstall, Gregory Porter amongst others >elvis (not Elvis as he wasn't available)