Image
Image
Image

Topics Calendar

July 2018

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Who is online

In total there are 20 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests

Most users ever online was 454 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Jackie Brown, SemrushBot, UlsterNo9, YandexBot


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 646144
Total topics 18998
Total members 2912
Our newest member Parga 99

William Dunlop

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • Not rated
  

William Dunlop

Postby CIMANFOREVER » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Sad news that William Dunlop was killed during practice at Skerries 100 today. RIP with Joey, Robert and the rest of the Armoy Armada, William. :salut:
Sadly his wife's expecting their second child. Love Road Racing, hate the losses.
Exterminate all rational thought
User avatar
CIMANFOREVER
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: The Dufferin

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Tazz #15 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:09 pm

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Sad news that William Dunlop was killed during practice at Skerries 100 today. RIP with Joey, Robert and the rest of the Armoy Armada, William. :salut:
Sadly his wife's expecting their second child. Love Road Racing, hate the losses.


Seconded, devastating news.
User avatar
Tazz #15
Initiate
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:34 am
Location: Newcastle, co. Down

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Liz Fraser » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Can't believe this.
Hard to get your head round it all.
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Initiate
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby ColinM » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Hard to believe he pulled out of IoM but then went in for this weekend with his wife still pregnant. I was not brought up in road racing and so find it hard to comprehend the decisions these families make. After how many losses will one family say that road racing is too cruel a mistress?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
User avatar
ColinM
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 7844
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby BaggyTrousers » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:39 pm

The Dunlops will never give up no matter how many lose their lives. Very sad news. I'd love Michael to give up now but don't think there is any way that will happen.

Speed is an addiction, not much different to drink or any other drug.
SUPPORT THE TEAM, FU'CK THE REGIME - UNTIL TERRY SHAME SLOGAN IS GASSED

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 28987
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby justinr73 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Awful news.

Three of us we were talking about how crazy bikers were as we started our fifth bottle of wine this very afternoon.
User avatar
justinr73
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Snipe Watson » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:30 am

How much tragedy does one family have to take in the name of sport?

The sport is impossible to make safe, even relatively safe, but then the danger is part of the attraction.
Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.
Roadracing on public roads with limited budgets is sheer madness.
The riders are, as Baggy says, addicted to the adrenalin so they'll not stop.

At what point do the authorities stop granting road closure permits?
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22736
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:53 am

How on earth can road racing be worth dying for? I have every sympathy for their loss but please stop.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 16747
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby mid ulster maestro » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:29 am

Very sad news indeed. Unfortunately there are a lot of sports that can lead to life threatening or life changing situations, rugby included. I did have a friend who was a road racer and he told me that it was safer racing than riding on the road. He deemed that too dangerous.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
User avatar
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: The Sticks

Re: William Dunlop

Postby big mervyn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 am

Snipe Watson wrote:Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.

True, but deaths are rare. The run offs make the tracks very safe. I think the biggest threat to life is from the other bikes.

The stats at the IOM are crazy - about 2-3 fatalities per year is the norm.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 10155
Images: 8
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Rooster » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:13 pm

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.

True, but deaths are rare. The run offs make the tracks very safe. I think the biggest threat to life is from the other bikes.

The stats at the IOM are crazy - about 2-3 fatalities per year is the norm.
The track racing has a very good record recently with all their runoff zones, surfaces and the safety kit the riders wear plus the bikes are prepared to perfection by manufacturer mechanics. As you say Merv the biggest risk is coming off and another bike hitting you and I think that was actually the last death and it is even rare to get hit, it is close contact but the racers are pros and actually know when enough is enough.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 39488
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Snipe Watson » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.

True, but deaths are rare. The run offs make the tracks very safe. I think the biggest threat to life is from the other bikes.

The stats at the IOM are crazy - about 2-3 fatalities per year is the norm.
The track racing has a very good record recently with all their runoff zones, surfaces and the safety kit the riders wear plus the bikes are prepared to perfection by manufacturer mechanics. As you say Merv the biggest risk is coming off and another bike hitting you and I think that was actually the last death and it is even rare to get hit, it is close contact but the racers are pros and actually know when enough is enough.

The difference between bikes prepared to the highest standards by full factory teams and the second hand gear used and prepared by road racers and their part time mechanics in a shed at their house has to be massive. I don't know the stats, but I believe Robert Dunlop's fatal crash was caused by a seized engine. These guys are pushing to the very edge on gear that isn't as good as it once was. Not to mention lamp posts, trees, ditches and curbs.
There are a number of factors that are not as good or safe as they should be before a sane person would saddle up.
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22736
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby 222toHounslow » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

I don’t understand the attraction but I’m not going to criticise those who do.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
User avatar
222toHounslow
Warrior
 
Posts: 1227
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby Snipe Watson » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:55 pm

222toHounslow wrote:Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

I don’t understand the attraction but I’m not going to criticise those who do.

That's what they all say, coupled with "they know the dangers".

My issue is that the government are facilitating the madness.
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22736
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: William Dunlop

Postby BaggyTrousers » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 pm

222toHounslow wrote:Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

I don’t understand the attraction but I’m not going to criticise those who do.


Exackerly 222. I have been known to be a bit judgy, but not on this, I admire them but think them crazy, they provide an amazing spectacle, are loved by hordes, I just wish it could be less tragic.
SUPPORT THE TEAM, FU'CK THE REGIME - UNTIL TERRY SHAME SLOGAN IS GASSED

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 28987
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Next


  • Advertisement

Return to The Back Room 'Lock In'

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Recent Forum Topics

!-- Piwik -->