Sextortion and shamed - RTE

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Sextortion and shamed - RTE

Post by Shan »

On RTE tonight.
A growth in the number of people being targeted by online scammers through so-called 'sextortion' rackets is causing concern among cyber security experts in Ireland.

Sextortion involves gangs posing as young women luring men and asking them to engage in sexual acts during video chats.

The gangs record the footage and then threaten to release it unless the men pay a ransom.
I'm kind of thinking of Bagsniffer here. If some gang got him to take off his kit I think they'd die of shock before they got a chance to expose him. :D :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Sextortion and shamed - RTE

Post by big mervyn »

Thought that was going to be about Janny.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:On RTE tonight.
A growth in the number of people being targeted by online scammers through so-called 'sextortion' rackets is causing concern among cyber security experts in Ireland.

Sextortion involves gangs posing as young women luring men and asking them to engage in sexual acts during video chats.

The gangs record the footage and then threaten to release it unless the men pay a ransom.
I'm kind of thinking of Bagsniffer here. If some gang got him to take off his kit I think they'd die of shock before they got a chance to expose him. :D :D
Doubt if Baggy would gave a feck if it was released :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:On RTE tonight.

Feck all I get is young ladies asking about the accident I had that wasn't my fault.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Just stumbled across this, feckin' Bogman wrong again, you are quite right Merv, they could whistle Dixie before I'd be ashamed of my ould flute, manys the fine qune played on an ould wan.

I must say, whilst I know the odd mad young ballix has topped himself, in general, I find it about as hard to be sympathetic about someone caught up in this crap as I do for the wide variety of lunatics, most it has to be said driven by extraordinary greed, who offer up their bank details to people who've just happened to call them out of the blue, or those who have lost their life savings because some clown offered them returns on investment "too good to believe" surprisingly enough.

When greed or lust overrides common sense, you should not bother making a BBC documentary, you should get the pitiful fool some mentoring or counselling, I'm available at unbelievably :roll: low rates given my mission to help the less well endowed........ in almost all respects.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster, I got so fed up with telling these people that I have had no accidents in god knows how long, that the last young unfortunate lady got both barrels: How many times do I have to tell you fu'ckers I'm the safest driver on the fu'cking road?

Mrs Trousers looked appalled until I explained it was about the 20th such call, then she appeared to nod a reluctant acceptance.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Feck all I get is young ladies asking about the accident I had that wasn't my fault.
Have tried several ploys to try to stop these, and it seems the latest GDP regulations might actually have some use after all.

Have tried (amongst others):

a) hanging up,

b) asking which accident ... as they seem to know so much, perhaps they would remind ME of the details,

c) denied having any accident, (they find that hard to believe, as EVERYONE has had an accident that wasn't their fault),

d) kept them waiting on the line while I look out my notes on the accident .... only to subsequently tell them I'm wasting their time, as they are wasting mine.

My latest was to ask them to repeat their name and company, as they do not have my permission to have and use my personal data, and I intend reporting them to the Data Commissioner. That resulted in an immediate apology, and an assurance that they would remove my name and number from their call lists.

So far more than three weeks have gone by and no more calls ..... I wonder how long that will last though, but it's probably the longest stint in months without any such calls.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:Feck all I get is young ladies asking about the accident I had that wasn't my fault.
Have tried several ploys to try to stop these, and it seems the latest GDP regulations might actually have some use after all.

Have tried (amongst others):

a) hanging up,

b) asking which accident ... as they seem to know so much, perhaps they would remind ME of the details,

c) denied having any accident, (they find that hard to believe, as EVERYONE has had an accident that wasn't their fault),

d) kept them waiting on the line while I look out my notes on the accident .... only to subsequently tell them I'm wasting their time, as they are wasting mine.

My latest was to ask them to repeat their name and company, as they do not have my permission to have and use my personal data, and I intend reporting them to the Data Commissioner. That resulted in an immediate apology, and an assurance that they would remove my name and number from their call lists.

So far more than three weeks have gone by and no more calls ..... I wonder how long that will last though, but it's probably the longest stint in months without any such calls.
I always fancied bursting into tears as I recounted the accident I had last week where my family were fatally injured.

But I'm not sure I want to descend to their level (the call centre's; not the recently buried family).

For any of those calls, if you say you are driving, they shît themselves and hang up.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Just get rid of your landline phones you old farts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote:Just get rid of your landline phones you old farts.
Ye can also get them thar calls to yer mobile, ya ageist fart! :evil:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Mine have all been to mobile. For clarity, I no longer have a landline but do have a dual sim phone. Before that I'd gone about a year without a phone call from anyone I know on a landline.

Further, on similar lines to BR, a few years back Mrs T and I were travelling through Malaga Airport and being in good humour agreed to fill in a short survey for a lady, both having worked in Market research during our lives. I completed mine without ticking the box for the chance to "win" a holiday, Mrs T took the other option.

Some months later, we had a call, on our landline :roll: , a lady wanting to speak to Mrs T and identifying herself as a rep of the company we did a survey for in Malaga. Mrs T was not home so being still in good humour I ventured, "she's not available, has she won something?"

Oh, I'm sorry, says she, I can only speak to Mrs T.

I offered, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible, she was badly burned."

Oh dear, how long would it be until I could speak to her?

Never I'm afraid, they don't fu'ck about at the crematorium.

I urge you to go for it BR, the silence at the other end of the phone was golden.......... then I hung up.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
I find the 'tell them your driving' tactic doesn't work so well if they call on the landline.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Just stumbled across this, feckin' Bogman wrong again,
Adonis speaks. Would ya ever feck away off Baggy. The sight of yer wrinkled auld árse would even have the best nurses and doctors in the world running for cover. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.