Any Plumbers? - Radiator Help

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Any Plumbers? - Radiator Help

Post by fuzzylogic »

Any plumbers on the site, could use some advice. Recently had one of these vertical radiators installed, the radiator itself has 7 panels, but only 4 of them are heading up.

Any thoughts?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Any Plumbers? - Radiator Help

Post by BR »

fuzzylogic wrote:Any plumbers on the site, could use some advice. Recently had one of these vertical radiators installed, the radiator itself has 7 panels, but only 4 of them are heading up.

Any thoughts?
You've tried bleeding it?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:Any plumbers on the site, could use some advice. Recently had one of these vertical radiators installed, the radiator itself has 7 panels, but only 4 of them are heading up.

Any thoughts?
You've tried bleeding it?
If you do get a plumber, send him round to Kingspan when you've finished - we have a leaking defence that needs fixed.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: If you do get a plumber, send him round to Kingspan when you've finished - we have a leaking defence that needs fixed.
That would be some assignment. May I suggest Christopher Plummer.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Shan,
At the top of the radiator there should be a tapped screw on one of the sides that should be able to be unscrewed with a screwdriver although I have seen some that need a spanner. When the radiator is warm at the bottom gradually unscrew the screw. You should hear some hissing/gurgling. The water from the base of the radiator is now filling the top. When the water comes out of the top quickly tighten it and that should be that. Be very careful not to unscrew the top screw completely or you will have a nice shower AND be very careful that the water isn't too hot or you will scald yourself. This is what BR means by bleeding it - you don't need leeches!

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

You may also require a radiator key.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

waggonsroll wrote:Shan,
At the top of the radiator there should be a tapped screw on one of the sides that should be able to be unscrewed with a screwdriver although I have seen some that need a spanner. When the radiator is warm at the bottom gradually unscrew the screw. You should hear some hissing/gurgling. The water from the base of the radiator is now filling the top. When the water comes out of the top quickly tighten it and that should be that. Be very careful not to unscrew the top screw completely or you will have a nice shower AND be very careful that the water isn't too hot or you will scald yourself. This is what BR means by bleeding it - you don't need leeches!

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Thank you waggonsroll. I haven't an earthly what all this means but I'll file it in case I ever decide to do away with my electric heating. Fuzzy may find it immediately useful though. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

mid ulster maestro wrote:You may also require a radiator key.
Are these things created in such a way as to ensure there will always be work for some skilled folk.

Get electric heating. Water is for drinking.

>TLGH
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The rad may also need balanced. Which bit is failing to heat?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Fuzzy is the new Damo!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shan wrote:Are these things created in such a way as to ensure there will always be work for some skilled folk.
Even an unskilled person can bleed a radiator, but the stupid are always with us. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:You may also require a radiator key.
Are these things created in such a way as to ensure there will always be work for some skilled folk.

Get electric heating. Water is for drinking.

>TLGH
Be careful drinking water, fish fùck in water. :shock:

Electrically generated heat is bad for you. Fact. Ask any non-electrical engineer.

When I read the title I just assumed it was Damo, this place has been duller since Damo sorted his life out. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I would imagine most men* over a certain age in NI know how to bleed a radiator. But it's not something in our DNA, we need to learn it somewhere along the line. And if the opportunity never arises, where do we acquire the knowledge? I don't know where I learned about it. We had no central heating when I was growing up, so how did I suddenly know how to bleed a rad?
If it's not something someone has experienced, is it fair to criticize them for asking for advice? After all UAFC is better than any DIY forum.

Notwithstanding Fuzzy's problem could be a lot more complicated than a bit of trapped air.

*I know plenty of weemin who know how to bleed things too.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:If it's not something someone has experienced, is it fair to criticize them for asking for advice? After all UAFC is better than any DIY forum.
Is it?

I'm not so sure.

I would suggest the best advice on here is usually to refer to a DIY forum, or maybe Youtube, where you can get visual instruction on how to do many things.

So why not just go direct and cut out this forum?

BTW - I agree with you on all that "where did I learn how to bleed a rad" bit.I never grew up with central heating,but somewhere along the line, the knowledge of how to do that somehow worked its way into my grey matter.
BR wrote:Notwithstanding Fuzzy's problem could be a lot more complicated than a bit of trapped air.
That's true, and he may need a plumber, but still before bringing in an expensive tradesman, worth trying the little bleeder ..... it may just work and might just save a fair penny.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Electrically generated heat is bad for you. Fact.
My electric kettle hasn't done me any harm (that I know of) and it has definitely done me some good when I put my electrically heated water into a hot water bottle and placed that adjacent to my aching spine. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -