Tom Humphries - Paedophile Ballix

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Tom Humphries - Paedophile Ballix

Post by BaggyTrousers »

There has been no comment here this week about the disgraced Irish Times journalist who was this week given an outrageously lenient sentence of two and a half years for his grooming and abuse of a young girl.

There are a couple of points of irony:

1) he wrote these words as a sports journalist:
“Sport, with … its opportunity for building relationships between coaches and participants, is a fine feeding ground for those few sick minds who prey on kids. No amount of extra trouble in screening coaches and enforcing guidelines and watching our kids is too much to avoid the grim spectacle of wrecked lives.”
2) He was brought down by his own daughter who in the charitable act of seeking to donate old mobile phones for charity, powered up his cast off and found over 16000 texts including overtly sexual and pictures of his inadequate appendage to her whilst grooming and then abusing a young 14-year old sportswoman. To her enormous credit, his daughter did the right thing but what must have been very tough to do, and ratted out her father. His wife, from whom he was separated, and her brother confronted him.

To this ballix's credit, he has twice tried to commit suicide, I hope he has better luck on his next attempt.

I urge all people here to take very careful cognisance of who their kids are involved with within any organisation, be that sporting, church or any organisation where volunteering adults are in charge of groups of children.

I don't believe there is a paedophile around every corner or behind every bush, but it is beyond doubt that too many gravitate to such organisations where they have a position of power and the ability to foster or destroy the ambitions of the kids in their charge. At the same time, we all know that volunteers, in general, do a great job overall in making good choices available to kids to fill their days.

Just take good care of your kids, know who is involved and be watchful, don't assume that it can't happen to them.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Tom Humphries - Paedophile Ballix

Post by Shan »

There was a woman on Ray Darcy's show last night who had been the victim of the monster Derry O'Rourke, Irish swimming coach, starting from the age of ten. Her story was harrowing and it brought to attention again how easy it is for these predators to operate and take what they want. Her life was destroyed as were those of her fellow victims of this individual. He served just 9 years.

The sentencing for this type of crime is extremely lenient and we can see that with the Humphries case. The only thing one can say is that at least he is too well known to be able to just blend into the crowd when he is released.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:There was a woman on Ray Darcy's show last night who had been the victim of the monster Derry O'Rourke, Irish swimming coach, starting from the age of ten. Her story was harrowing and it brought to attention again how easy it is for these predators to operate and take what they want. Her life was destroyed as were those of her fellow victims of this individual. He served just 9 years.

The sentencing for this type of crime is extremely lenient and we can see that with the Humphries case. The only thing one can say is that at least he is too well known to be able to just blend into the crowd when he is released.
I saw some of it when I got back from Spanners Shan, that is what reminded me of Humphries. Brave woman doing a brave thing.

It wrecks lives, that is why I decided to add my own warning to folk here with young kids.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A swift cut with a knife would sort a lot of the perverts out

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:There was a woman on Ray Darcy's show last night who had been the victim of the monster Derry O'Rourke, Irish swimming coach, starting from the age of ten. Her story was harrowing and it brought to attention again how easy it is for these predators to operate and take what they want. Her life was destroyed as were those of her fellow victims of this individual. He served just 9 years.

The sentencing for all crimes is considered lenient by the general public.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The first 15 mins of the 6pm news was devoted to sexual misdemeanours by assorted celebs and politicians.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:The first 15 mins of the 6pm news was devoted to sexual misdemeanours by assorted celebs and politicians.
Powerful people use their status in an industry to encourage acceptance of their sexual advances - shock!
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You may be right BR but as far as I'm aware Humphries sentence will be reviewed such is the level of amazement at its brevity. The guy Shan spoke if was a serial offender ruining many lives. Humphries as far as we know just ruined one life aged 14, the young lady will still be trying to cope as he saunters free in a couple of years. As I said I wish him well in his next suicide attempt.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:You may be right BR but as far as I'm aware Humphries sentence will be reviewed such is the level of amazement at its brevity. The guy Shan spoke if was a serial offender ruining many lives. Humphries as far as we know just ruined one life aged 14, the young lady will still be trying to cope as he saunters free in a couple of years. As I said I wish him well in his next suicide attempt.
I do not wish to downplay the offenses of those who have committed rape related offences.

[edit for clarity]
But in relation to the reported sexual misdemeanors that Mervyn mentions:

I just wonder about the moral indignation being displayed by the popular media about the 'revelations' of relatively* minor misdemeanors.

* relative to the serious offences originally discussed in this thread
Last edited by BR on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:You may be right BR but as far as I'm aware Humphries sentence will be reviewed such is the level of amazement at its brevity. The guy Shan spoke if was a serial offender ruining many lives. Humphries as far as we know just ruined one life aged 14, the young lady will still be trying to cope as he saunters free in a couple of years. As I said I wish him well in his next suicide attempt.
There's potentially more to come Baggy. Probably need to be careful what we say but this ballix may not get out as early as he expects currently.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote: I do not wish to downplay the offenses of those who have committed rape related offences.

I just wonder about the moral indignation being displayed by the popular media about the 'revelations' of relatively minor misdemeanors.
BR - What we are discussing is serious crimes. Are there sex crimes which are relatively minor which the media or the public are getting unduly energised about?

Also as far as I know many sentences in the UK carry a minimum term. That does not exist here so we are annoyed not just about the leniency but also about the fact that we know the term of sentence is only a load of w-nk. Proper minimum sentencing is not too much to ask for those who will abuse our children or our adults for that matter.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:A swift cut with a knife would sort a lot of the perverts out
I reckon in the future we will be able to detect some kind of pervert gene in a foetus. Then we can just abort the b-stards. Will save so much trouble later.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
I do not wish to downplay the offenses of those who have committed rape related offences.

I just wonder about the moral indignation being displayed by the popular media about the 'revelations' of relatively minor misdemeanors.
BR, none of the offences under discussion on this thread are minor misdemeanours, if you knew or were related to anyone who has suffered sexual abuse as a child, you would understand that it is a life sentence, something like a scar to the lucky ones, never quite fades away, always there for them to scratch, the less fortunate ones just kill themselves when they can cope no longer.

Can I politely suggest that for this particular thread, which I didn't expect to be active even the next day, could it be left apart from a more general discussion on media reactions to any crime.

I suppose my own motivation in posting it is as just a reminder to parents of young kids that you can assume nothing, these people are about and are generally very very plausible. Be watchful.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:
BR wrote: I do not wish to downplay the offenses of those who have committed rape related offences.

BR - What we are discussing is serious crimes. Are there sex crimes which are relatively minor which the media or the public are getting unduly energised about?

Also as far as I know many sentences in the UK carry a minimum term. That does not exist here so we are annoyed not just about the leniency but also about the fact that we know the term of sentence is only a load of w-nk. Proper minimum sentencing is not too much to ask for those who will abuse our children or our adults for that matter.
I think I may have answered two points on this thread.

One - the serious sex CRIMES which to be fair, were the original focus of the thread - see comment about not downplaying those.

Two - the opening 15 minutes of the news (or whatever the quote was). This was largely the casting couch/harassment at work stuff. Largely consenting adults, so no crime, but questionable in terms of employment law, etc and still certainly in appropriate. (And no doubt there could be individual arguments made about 'consent under duress').

So yes - I was referring to actions which were less serious. Hence I did attempt to separate them. I probably could have done that better.

In some ways it serves to demonstrate the problem - a lot of the coverage ranges from statutory rape through to inappropriate/unwelcome sexual advances which were successfully nipped in the bud. I suspect people guilty of no actual crime , will get caught up with the paedos in the way some agencies are covering this (Agencies which have been fully aware of a lot of these behaviours for a long time, and may even have their own skeletons in the wardrobes).

I would rather expand on any of this further if my intentions are still unclear, rather than have people think I am in any way condoning serious criminal activity.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote: BR, none of the offences under discussion on this thread are minor misdemeanours, ...
To clarify this was the post I was responding to:
big mervyn wrote:The first 15 mins of the 6pm news was devoted to sexual misdemeanours by assorted celebs and politicians.
See response to Shan.
www.stoutboys.co.uk