Have we become desensitized to terrorism?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Have we become desensitized to terrorism?

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote: All eyes surely on Lionel Blair now if the intelligence agencies have any sense.
Rumoured to be operating in a cell with Unabomber Stubbs.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:All eyes surely on Lionel Blair now if the intelligence agencies have any sense.
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've just taken a break from being roasted, to being amused, hats off Jizzer et al. :lol:

Mind you in case anyone thinks I'd do something as idiotic as sunbathing, I am sitting under a covered terrace with a ceiling fan going at a bloody good lick, and considering the merits of a first gin of the day.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bazzaj wrote:All eyes surely on Lionel Blair now if the intelligence agencies have any sense.
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
Sure Tony is Una's son-in-law. Her and the Scouse git.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
Sure Tony is Una's son-in-law. Her and the Scouse git.
Her and him Booth. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
Lionel, eh? Great name, I think all English people should answer to the name Lionel, must try it out on Justin this season.

Of course being gayer than most, my favourite Lionel is not even English though. Nope sirree Bob, my favourite Lionel was as American as mama's apple pie, Lionel Bender.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
Lionel, eh? Great name, I think all English people should answer to the name Lionel, must try it out on Justin this season.
That's a bit harsh on the Ruperts and Tarquins
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I think we still get a small bit of a shock when it happens in Europe.

Thinking back to when there was lots of terrorist activities going on in Northern Ireland and there were definitely times when we watched the news, heard of some bomb which killed a number of people and we just barely shook our heads and thought "Nordies at it again". It wasn't that we didn't care but it just wasn't a surprise. Many people are now just thinking "Snackbars at it again"
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Finland ...
Russia ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Finland ...
Russia ...

Bad sh1t happens.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Lionel?

Tony? >EW
That's a bit harsh on the Ruperts and Tarquins
Fit was a Rupert

Just saying, like ...
I'm not arguing -
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Russ wrote:Finland ...
Russia ...

Bad sh1t happens.
Alright Sadiq

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ is correct, we are. Empathy is closely linked to risk assessment, as are all emotions in the context of human survival. We will show more or less empathy depending on differing variables, such as location, how far away it is, the level of violence, number of casualties, how much we identify with the victims (skin colour etc), etc... This is isn't racism, most risk assessing is performed in higher levels of cognition than conscious thought. The bottom line, as far as measuring these variables, is 'how likely is it, that this may happen to me?'.

If we consider that a certain threat is not likely to effect me, because for example 'I live in a farm in fermanagh' (I don't). The repetition of these attacks abroad will reinforce our perceived safety and thus we have become desensitized. Should factors change, ie an attack closer to home, we have more empathy as the attacks are getting closer, risk assessing functions in the brain have to reanalyze the threat causing more alarm. Basically the brain likes to have cues to known threats, it wants to know all possible threats as then it can respond faster. New threats or change in variables, such as increased scale and this causes a higher level emotional response. We all react differently but the basic response is the same.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Modern terrorism receives attention because most of it seems totally pointless there is no obvious goal and no obvious target .Thus there is little or no defence or action one can take to avoid being a victim and to some extent that is why the public has a degree of empathy with the victims but because the risk of being a victim is relatively small our empathy is decreased and becomes based on method ,targeted location ,timing and type of victim .
The other factor which comes into the equation is the fact that success of terrorism is measured by the headlines it inspires if it only makes page 4 it ceases to be terrorism but murder .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Lionel?

Tony? >EW

Of course being gayer than most, my favourite Lionel is not even English though. Nope sirree Bob, my favourite Lionel was as American as mama's apple pie, Lionel Bender.
Is that Lionel Blair, the Canadian born son of Russian Jews?!

I'll give you Lionel Jeffries from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I don't think Richie and Messi are English either!