Wimbledon

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Wimbledon

Post by Russ »

Equal pay for equal play

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Re: Wimbledon

Post by 222toHounslow »

Just have the one championship for all to enter. End of problem.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Still waiting to hear how 10 = 3 ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No no...let's punish women for having reproductive organs.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Could not field a decent front-row from the lot of them - wait.... Serena?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:No no...let's punish women for having reproductive organs.

Dave, I'm seldom not supportive of women, but I think this is the classic case of where there is no equality, it is simply a different game. Football or Rugby are examples of where ladies play exactly the same game and I see no hint of folk (not FOLK) suggesting that there should be equal reward for Ladies in those or cricket for that matter.

Where women have played in golf with men they cannot compete, but as I've said previously top class women golfers are superb and are what all amateurs should attempt to mimic as their game involves a greater reliance on accuracy and control. They are rewarded fabulously for their ability but considerably less so than men, it's a game that looks the same, like tennis, but men and women play very differently.

Fair play to the women, I don't resent them getting whatever they can get, I just see no genuine equivalence.

That said, I expect to see little or none of weemin nor men for tennis is another sport I've more or less lost interest in allied to the fact that it clashes with my preparation for the twelfth... sorry, holidays for this day week I'm heading to the wee hovel via Madrid and a couple of days in Holy Toledo. :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Dave, I'm seldom not supportive of women, but I think this is the classic case of where there is no equality, it is simply a different game. Football or Rugby are examples of where ladies play exactly the same game and I see no hint of folk (not FOLK) suggesting that there should be equal reward for Ladies in those or cricket for that matter.

Where women have played in golf with men they cannot compete, but as I've said previously top class women golfers are superb and are what all amateurs should attempt to mimic as their game involves a greater reliance on accuracy and control. They are rewarded fabulously for their ability but considerably less so than men, it's a game that looks the same, like tennis, but men and women play very differently.

Fair play to the women, I don't resent them getting whatever they can get, I just see no genuine equivalence.

That said, I expect to see little or none of weemin nor men for tennis is another sport I've more or less lost interest in allied to the fact that it clashes with my preparation for the twelfth... sorry, holidays for this day week I'm heading to the wee hovel via Madrid and a couple of days in Holy Toledo. :cheers:
Baggy, other sports are different, you have to consider Wimbledon as unique from other events. Women's football, for example, does not draw the same interest and therefore, not the same revenue from attendances and TV rights. Equivalency isn't financially viable. The same goes for other sports, although I've no clue about golf.

Wimbledon, is a tournament with different events for each gender. Yet the women and men's competitions draw the same crowds. I think it's just mean and discriminatory. I can't see any compelling argument not to award each event an equal share of the pot. Any argument based on, 'shouldn't they play the one comp' is completely ignorant of major physiological differences, which I hopefully don't need to explain. If that is ignored, why not let cheetahs in the 100 metres?
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Dave wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Baggy, other sports are different, you have to consider Wimbledon as unique from other events. Women's football, for example, does not draw the same interest and therefore, not the same revenue from attendances and TV rights. Equivalency isn't financially viable. The same goes for other sports, although I've no clue about golf.

Wimbledon, is a tournament with different events for each gender. Yet the women and men's competitions draw the same crowds. I think it's just mean and discriminatory. I can't see any compelling argument not to award each event an equal share of the pot. Any argument based on, 'shouldn't they play the one comp' is completely ignorant of major physiological differences, which I hopefully don't need to explain. If that is ignored, why not let cheetahs in the 100 metres?
You mean like Ben Johnson?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well played sir
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

When women can celebrate like Itoje ... then THEN and only THEN should they get equal pay!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Women should get more money than men. They may not play as many sets but their grunting abilities are far superior. Plus plenty of them these days are fairly handy which keeps one interested even if tennis is not exactly something one loves.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Thanks for the biology lesson, you learn something new every day.

Any facts or figures for stand alone tennis events? Attendance or prize money for the separate mens and ladies tours?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

222toHounslow wrote:Thanks for the biology lesson, you learn something new every day.
Any facts or figures for stand alone t ... ize-money/
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If women got equal prize money at Wimbledon, I'd be really pisssed off. It directly effects me in the following ways........well I mean, I'm going to vehemently oppose this online because of some very important reasons that I feel very very strongly about. For one, it would be extremely very, and I mean very... very, very terrible and also entirely awful. Things like this cannot happen, I'd be outraged and affronted.

Let's agree to stop this from happening now and forever. Ultimately, it is crucial and also quite so extremely necessary. I feel the matter is now settled and I'll write to women to let them know my decision.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:If women got equal prize money at Wimbledon, I'd be really pisssed off. It directly effect me in the following ways........well I mean, I'm going to vehemently oppose this online because of some very important reasons that I feel very very strongly about. For one, it would be extremely very, and I mean very... very, very terrible and also entirely awful. Things like this cannot happen, I'd be outraged and affronted.

Let's agree to stop this from happening now and forever. Ultimately, it is crucial and also quite so extremely necessary. I feel the matter is now settled and I'll write to women to let them know my decision.
I'm offended >threaten
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best