As gay as the next man.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

As gay as the next man.

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Being as gay as the next man, it's time I open a thread for Gay Matters, I'd write it in pink but, call me shadeist, but it's not a good colour of pink. >EW

Anyway, doubtless many of you will have heard that former tennis star turned rabid right wing preacher Margaret Court has had some pretty ugly things to say about same sex marriage and going as far as describing transgender children as "the work of the devil".

Enter stage left, John McEnroe a man clearly as gay as the next man with this:
https://youtu.be/DdZcC07ZZx0

Got to love Mac. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: As gay as the next man.

Post by big mervyn »

Funny. Until recently I'd have had Margaret down as a tuppence licker. Big fan of the Saffer apartheid regime too ( a common theme with Maggies apparently).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

As Ms. Court, a tennis superstar who holds the record for the most singles titles in the sport, took the pulpit, she set aside her prepared message, saying she had “a word from the Spirit.” She led the audience in speaking in tongues — what she calls a language only God understands — for several minutes.

“It is like picking up the phone to God,” she told the congregants at the Pentecostal church. “The Devil doesn’t understand it, man doesn’t understand it, but God understands it.”
For context. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:
As Ms. Court, a tennis superstar who holds the record for the most singles titles in the sport, took the pulpit, she set aside her prepared message, saying she had “a word from the Spirit.” She led the audience in speaking in tongues — what she calls a language only God understands — for several minutes.

“It is like picking up the phone to God,” she told the congregants at the Pentecostal church. “The Devil doesn’t understand it, man doesn’t understand it, but God understands it.”
For context. :D
But is it any more bonkers than any of the other God stuff?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: But is it any more bonkers than any of the other God stuff?
Well I'd say that sane believers can at least understand what they are saying to their deity of choice.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mad as a box of frogs is the context that I see this odder than fuc'k mentalist, spouting bullshit. They say travel and experience of other cultures broaden the mind, clearly, this is a generality and not a forgone conclusion to experiences.

At times like this, I find my tolerance for religion and in particular the fundamentalist extremes, be they, Christian, Muslim, Jew or otherwise.

These moronic arseholes view their own brand of mentalism as sacrosanct, locally, of course, we have our DUPers founded on their belief that the Bible is the strict and accurate word of God - their invisible chum in the clouds - whereas anyone with a brain will realise that at the very best it is a rough approximation of what they believe.

Look back on English Literature to works written over various styles and meanings in the developing language, what you read today is an interpretation of what Geoffrey Chaucer wrote in the 14th Century, what Milton wrote in 17tb Century John Milton a dementalist to his core, even the Bard, Billy Spokeshave, they all used words that meant different things to today as well as words that are no longer in any usage.

Take that in and then ask yourself just how insane is it to take 2000-year-old writings of a myriad of writers in many different languages, that have gone through innumerable version of the English language never mind original languages, and have the stupidity to regard the modern English translation of the word of God, to allow it to inform you in making political policy never mind simple social views.

Is it any wonder a halfwitted septuagenarian like Margaret Court, of some Jihadi fuc'ks in London or Manchester, or the middle east or ................... well some hammer-wielding ballix in Paris .............any of them talk through their arseholes about a multitude of things.

Anyway, got to love Mac. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Being as gay as the next man, it's time I open a thread for Gay Matters, I'd write it in pink but, call me shadeist, but it's not a good colour of pink. >EW

Anyway, doubtless many of you will have heard that former tennis star turned rabid right wing preacher Margaret Court has had some pretty ugly things to say about same sex marriage and going as far as describing transgender children as "the work of the devil".

Video has been removed by user Baggy - any chance of a synopsis for those of us who arrived too late?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Being as gay as the next man, it's time I open a thread for Gay Matters, I'd write it in pink but, call me shadeist, but it's not a good colour of pink. >EW

Video has been removed by user Baggy - any chance of a synopsis for those of us who arrived too late?
Here is (most of) the text Paul.
Margaret Court just got served by John McEnroe.

McEnroe, 58, took his fellow tennis legend to task over her blatant homophobia in a cheeky, strongly worded video posted to YouTube over the weekend. Court, who has won a record 24 Grand Slam single titles, argued last week that her sport is “full of lesbians,” and referenced Adolf Hitler in discussing transgender children. The 74-year-old also declared that she’d no longer fly Qantas Airways in her native Australia because the airline’s CEO has been an outspoken supporter of marriage equality.

In his clip, McEnroe joked that Court’s homophobia stemmed from her 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” loss to Bobby Riggs, who was then beat by Billie Jean King, who is openly gay. “Now I think I know where that hatred comes from,” he quipped, as seen in the video above.

“Margaret Court is telling us, ‘Tennis is full of lesbians,” McEnroe added. “The way I see it, there are three options regarding this statement. Number one ― this is true, and who gives a f**k? Number two ― this is not true, and who should give a f**k? And number three ― this is half true, and should we really give a f**k?”

Shortly after Court made headlines with her homophobic remarks, King and tennis great Martina Navratilova (who is also gay) called for the Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne, Australia, to be renamed. But in his video, McEnroe offered up a different solution.

“Keep the name and when same-sex marriage becomes legal in Australia, I will personally call my good friend Elton John to host the biggest same-sex, mass wedding ceremony ever seen — in Margaret Court Arena,” he said. “Margaret, that’s just the kind of guy I am.”

McEnroe’s final point, however, really punctuated his inclusive argument.

“Do you know how hard it is, still, to come out in 2017? Just think about that,” he said.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Thanks. Very very good!!!
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Mac's one of those guys that you like a lot more in retirement .
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:Mac's one of those guys that you like a lot more in retirement .
You cannot be serious. :D

Anyway I didn't see the video either - Good stuff from McEnroe. Some people really should not be allowed out of their playpens.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Are all the tennis pitches not named after Margaret.
Big Neville Southall