Good Samaritans

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Good Samaritans

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My long held view of Norn Ironish peepil hit an upward curve today.

As I plodded away on a cross trainer da'an the bleedin' gym this lunchtime I saw a lady struggling to enter, eventually helped by a trainer and looked sheepishly towards me just a few yards away.

Wind forward 15 minutes and I've washed and dried the crown jewels and am in the car heading home. I was vaguely aware of the lady I'd seen at the gym for she was wearing a distinctive jacket and she was across the junction where I waited for the lights to change.

When the light changed I noticed her on the ground and being helped by another lady. I pulled in but two other men had just beaten me to it. As I was about to announce that I was a first aider and save her life, another bloke again beat me to the punch saying "I'm a first aider" and as he was about to step in, the other guy launched into the fray trumping all others with "I am a police officer" and in fairness to him he knew exactly what he was doing.

The poor girl then fitted twice and as the policeman was putting her in the recovery position a lorry drew up and the driver jumped out saying "I've a first aid pack in the lorry, do you need it?" Then the ambulance that had been called arrived and the paramedic took over.

In all six or seven good citizens pitched up ready to help, it was quite uplifting when you hear so many stories of people walking round souls in trouble. I didn't get to, or need to save her life, no hero status & TV interviews for me. The off-duty policeman, who would probably be near the end of his service, was absolutely superb. :salut: Respect sir. ( I hate feckers who are sniffy to the peelers)
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Good Samaritans

Post by Dave »

I have epilepsy. I have at times needed the help from strangers (there is none as strange as the norn ironish). I have always been well looked after. Often you don't get to thank your Samaritans because you haven't a bloody clue what year it is post-seizure.

Keep up the good work Samaritaning, Baggy!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:I have epilepsy. I have at times needed the help from strangers (there is none as strange as the norn ironish). I have always been well looked after. Often you don't get to thank your Samaritans because you haven't a bloody clue what year it is post-seizure.

I've twice been diagnosed with epilepsy Dave, once when I was 4 and again when about 40. At 4 all that happened was brief speech loss, max 3/4 minutes and it may have happened 4/5 times in the same number of years. At 40 I'd had a brain haemorrhage and the clown seriously diagnosed me by reading the file on me when I last was checked out, age 9 and declared epilepsy with no real checks done, my GP was outraged.

When I'd been 4 it was the first time I'd experienced my particularly weird form of migraine. Worse things in life. >EW Anyway, I would like to think someone would not leave me lying in a heap so I won't leave someone.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Dave wrote:I have epilepsy. I have at times needed the help from strangers (there is none as strange as the norn ironish). I have always been well looked after. Often you don't get to thank your Samaritans because you haven't a bloody clue what year it is post-seizure.

I've twice been diagnosed with epilepsy Dave, once when I was 4 and again when about 40. At 4 all that happened was brief speech loss, max 3/4 minutes and it may have happened 4/5 times in the same number of years. At 40 I'd had a brain haemorrhage and the clown seriously diagnosed me by reading the file on me when I last was checked out, age 9 and declared epilepsy with no real checks done, my GP was outraged.

When I'd been 4 it was the first time I'd experienced my particularly weird form of migraine. Worse things in life. >EW Anyway, I would like to think someone would not leave me lying in a heap so I won't leave someone.
I've had it for about ten years. It's well controlled mostly, with meds, but every now and again I have a full blown tonic-clonic seizure. The last one was fairly recent so it kills the driving for a while. I was relieved when I received the diagnosis as I'd feared it could be something far worse. Stress and a lack of sleep are usual a trigger.

FOLK
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

To be fair I think I the Norn Irish are quicker than most to lend a hand.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall