GAA in Fleg and anthum debate

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

GAA in Fleg and anthum debate

Post by Russ »

The GAA are trying to tap into the money again and are suggesting binning their fleg and anthum

Discuss
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: GAA in Fleg and anthum debate

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Russ wrote:The GAA are trying to tap into the money again and are suggesting binning their fleg and anthum

Discuss
Burning it?
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:
Russ wrote:The GAA are trying to tap into the money again and are suggesting binning their fleg and anthum

Discuss
Burning it?
I think their feeling is that there is more money in ditching pageantry than keeping tradition
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Good idea whatever the motives.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

To be serious though.

The GAA is the biggest and most powerful cultural organisation on the island. If they were serious about some kind of outreach to black proddies, they'd stop naming grounds after provos and remove the wee shrines every other clubhouse has to their local fallen volunteer.

It would be a big step if they did that. I'm tired of glorifying division.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Before every game, they should build a big bonfire out of pallets in the middle of the pitch and burn a huge tricolour wrapped around the effigy of the pope. Wouldn’t be too many DUP councils denying them money after that.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:Before every game, they should build a big bonfire out of pallets in the middle of the pitch and burn a huge tricolour wrapped around the effigy of the pope. Wouldn’t be too many DUP councils denying them money after that.
Oh I don't know... I'm sure the DUP would still find a reason.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:To be serious though.

The GAA is the biggest and most powerful cultural organisation on the island. If they were serious about some kind of outreach to black proddies, they'd stop naming grounds after provos and remove the wee shrines every other clubhouse has to their local fallen volunteer.

It would be a big step if they did that. I'm tired of glorifying division.
100%. Take a look in Dungiven for example... It seemed to pass everyone by that an organisation (the GAA) as entrenched in sectarianism as the Orange Order should be the main flag bearers (excuse the pun..) for Ireland RWC bid. Turn it on it's head and imagine the outcry if it was an organisation like the OO in the same position to support.

The thought of say England at Casement or (altho' remote) L/Derry is a sick joke.
Exterminate all rational thought
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
100%. Take a look in Dungiven for example... It seemed to pass everyone by that an organisation (the GAA) as entrenched in sectarianism as the Orange Order should be the main flag bearers (excuse the pun..) for Ireland RWC bid. Turn it on it's head and imagine the outcry if it was an organisation like the OO in the same position to support.

The thought of say England at Casement or (altho' remote) L/Derry is a sick joke.
It's a Nordie issue rather than a GAA one. There was no problem with England or anyone else in Croke Park. There would be no issue anywhere else in the 26 county state.

Same with the Orange Order - South of the border they don't seem to be any trouble, though granted they wouldn't have the numbers.

That is not to say that everything in the GAA Garden is rosy of course. There is undoubtedly room for improvement there.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:

It's a Nordie issue rather than a GAA one. There was no problem with England or anyone else in Croke Park. There would be no issue anywhere else in the 26 county state.

Same with the Orange Order - South of the border they don't seem to be any trouble, though granted they wouldn't have the numbers.

That is not to say that everything in the GAA Garden is rosy of course. There is undoubtedly room for improvement there.
The comments on the 42.ie are hilarious. Also check the IT FB feed

There's a lot of sectarianism all coming from people not normally portrayed as sectarian by the MSM
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote: The comments on the 42.ie are hilarious. Also check the IT FB feed

There's a lot of sectarianism all coming from people not normally portrayed as sectarian by the MSM
That might mean something if I believed you know what the word sectarianism means. Previous posts by you suggest very strongly that you don't. For example you once said Madigan was showing sectarianism by wearing 1916 boots. That was either you pretending to be almost unbelievably dumb or else you actually are just that dumb. Only you can know the answer.

Assume IT FB is facebook related - If so - Not interested.

There is no sectarianism on 42.ie comments that I can see. There's a small few which mention different Christian sects and make a connection between that and somebody's background in NI. Detailing a reality is not sectarianism. The reality itself may have elements of it, though does not have to.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:

That might mean something if I believed you know what the word sectarianism means. Previous posts by you suggest very strongly that you don't. For example you once said Madigan was showing sectarianism by wearing 1916 boots. That was either you pretending to be almost unbelievably dumb or else you actually are just that dumb. Only you can know the answer.

There is no sectarianism on 42.ie comments that I can see. There's a small few which mention different Christian sects and make a connection between that and somebody's background in NI. Detailing a reality is not sectarianism. The reality itself may have elements of it, though does not have to.
Utter guff
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote: Utter guff
Playing the jester again? Or are you not playing it? I always gave you the benefit of the doubt but I have never seen you make an actual argument, although I have not read every single post on this site of course.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote: Utter guff
Playing the jester again? Or are you not playing it? I always gave you the benefit of the doubt but I have never seen you make an actual argument, although I have not read every single post on this site of course.
I state a mixture of facts and fact based opinions

Wearing boots that showcase a terrorist act is divisive

The comments on the 42 and the IT about the GAA fleg and anthem showcased deep rooted sectarianism. Hopefully they have been moderated

Unfortunately it's attitudes like those which is why we have Brexit and Trump. People should be more mindful of their words and actions
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:

In fairness Shan, I declare myself to hate all religions equally, I hate this place so much I can barely wait for the next clatter of months to fly by until I can escape it's dreary hateful undertone on all subjects close to my heart.

Further I am a first generation Nordie, father a Mexican, mother from the Isle of Wight, but with all that, I thought Shinnerboots's shinnerboots was an utterly despicable attempt from a wee egotist, not at sectarianism of course, but just a most appalling attempt to be "all popular".

As inappropriate as it would have been for Willie John McBride or Davy Tweed appearing for the anthems in their Sash.
shinnerboots.jpg
shinnerboots.jpg (34.84 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Sad wee Jackeen tramp that he is. :roll:

The one notable thing is that when he wore them Mexico won 19-16, now that is just spookarooney in anyone's language.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.