Image
Image
Image

Topics Calendar

December 2018

S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Who is online

In total there are 14 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

Most users ever online was 454 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Registered users: AhrefsBot, Bing [Bot], Dave, Google [Bot], SemrushBot


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 657958
Total topics 19120
Total members 2928
Our newest member joe soap

Birthdays

Congratulations to: Setanta (68)

Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • 1 vote
  

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Snipe Watson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm

big mervyn wrote:Greater Spotted Woodpecker in Morland's Meadow down at the towpath. An interesting spot - supposedly no woodpeckers in Ireland since the last ice age until about 2004/05.

About the size of a thrush and looks like this (not my photo). You'll hear him before you see him.

Image

:thumleft: :thumleft:
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22827
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby BaggyTrousers » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 pm

big mervyn wrote:A Horseshoe Whipsnake crossed my path this morning down at the beach. First time I've ever seen a live snake in Spain :thumleft:
Not dangerous to humans.

Also found €5 so a good day so far.


From memory, there are 13 different types of serpent in Spain Merv, 5 poisonous but none very serious, unless you are very young, very old or in shambolic health, then they can be fatal but usually just bloody painful and in need of medical attention. There are however on average 3-6 deaths from snake bite a year in Spain, mainly upt'nawth and in the Pyrenees.

Interestingly we also have black widow spiders, though again, despite the fearsome reputation, seldom fatal.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 30155
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Rooster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 39849
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby justinr73 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Was at Chinnor v Bishop's Stortford on Saturday. We lost by 2 in a thriller but are still 7 points up with 3 to play to get into National League 1.

Only time I took my eye off the game (I sent the fiancée to the bar throughout) was when a few red kites stopped by to watch the match for a while. They were absolutely stunning.
User avatar
justinr73
Warrior Chief
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Snipe Watson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 pm

Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:

They'll not be missed. Vermin.
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22827
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby jean valjean » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:

They'll not be missed. Vermin.

The Greys are too large to get out on the end of branches like the reds can, and spend more time on the ground. Thus they are easier pickings for the martins. Mother nature at her best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
User avatar
jean valjean
Warrior
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Rooster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:46 pm

jean valjean wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:

They'll not be missed. Vermin.

The Greys are too large to get out on the end of branches like the reds can, and spend more time on the ground. Thus they are easier pickings for the martins. Mother nature at her best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They are also pretty easy to splatter with the .223 :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 39849
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Gerald the Mole » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:02 am

Wasps, the non white Anglo Saxon ones.
User avatar
Gerald the Mole
Warrior
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby BR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

Gerald the Mole wrote:Wasps, the non white Anglo Saxon ones.

Have been seeing occasional wasps all winter. Unbelievably mild, really.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
User avatar
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17290
Images: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am
Location: On a roll.

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Samstew » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:


I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Samstew
Squire
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:41 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Rooster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Samstew wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:


I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 39849
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby big mervyn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:19 pm

My own anecdotal evidence would point to a significant decline in greys in S Belfast over the past few years. Not seen any reds mind.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 10658
Images: 8
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby Snipe Watson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 pm

big mervyn wrote:My own anecdotal evidence would point to a significant decline in greys in S Belfast over the past few years. Not seen any reds mind.

The reds may need some help to re-establish themselves.
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22827
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby BaggyTrousers » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Rooster wrote:
jean valjean wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:

They'll not be missed. Vermin.

The Greys are too large to get out on the end of branches like the reds can, and spend more time on the ground. Thus they are easier pickings for the martins. Mother nature at her best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They are also pretty easy to splatter with the .223 :D



:lol: :lol: :lol: Ah Rooster did I ever tell you you're my favourite animal lover. I'd hate to be a badger around your place. :lol:
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 30155
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Postby BaggyTrousers » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Rooster wrote:
Samstew wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:


I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.


Can't swear to this but I saw Tony Robinson on his coast to coast trip upt'nawth of England chatting to a warden who is looking after a resurgent population of red squirrels. If I recall correctly he said the pine martins, also resurgent, were slaughtering grey squirrels but they had a close link to red squirrels in their DNA and didn't prey on them.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 30155
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to The Back Room 'Lock In'

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot and 3 guests

Recent Forum Topics

!-- Piwik -->