Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by bazzaj »

I hand reared some mammaries when I was a little boy.
Well one blue bieber to be exact as the other 7 snuffed it after the mum had abandoned the nest in our garden bird box.
I can still hear a blue mammaries call above any other bird and I have learned that it basically translated means, "hurry up and feed me before we all die you fecker."
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Just read my post back.
WTF!!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bieber :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Very fond of the little nuthatch; lovely bird. Best sighting was of a stoat in full winter plumage, very visible as winter was late and no snow about.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

On the subject of bird watching, I used to see Kate Humble quite regularly when I was out shopping as she used to live in the same area of London I'm in.

She was fit, but how shall I put it... her skin has taken a bit of a battering from all of those outdoorsy programs she does...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:On the subject of bird watching, I used to see Kate Humble quite regularly when I was out shopping as she used to live in the same area of London I'm in.

She was fit, but how shall I put it... her skin has taken a bit of a battering from all of those outdoorsy programs she does...
I still would.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Me too.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Setanta wrote: Best sighting was of a stoat in full winter plumage, very visible as winter was late and no snow about.
Weasily spotted then? :duck:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

:lol: Trouble is Swiss don't recognise the difference between rabbits and hares, never mind weasels and stoats!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote::lol: Trouble is Swiss don't recognise the difference between rabbits and hares, never mind weasels and stoats!
They're stoopid then - apart from (as merv says) one being weasily spotted, the other's stoat-ally different.

(someone was going to do it ......)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I lived in Africa for a while, where I took up bird watching. On my first trip home, I remarked to my dad that there were a lot of magpies about. He said he didn't think there were more than usual. Took me a minute, then I realised that I was just seeing things I'd never noticed before. Getting out of this wee place opens our eyes to see things that we never saw before. If I could, I'd make living overseas for a couple of years compulsory for everybody in NI!

Never thought I'd get the chance to tell that story on a rugby forum.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

A Horseshoe Whipsnake crossed my path this morning down at the beach. First time I've ever seen a live snake in Spain :thumleft:
Not dangerous to humans.

Also found €5 so a good day so far.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Saw 2 buzzards shredding a young greyback crow yesterday and 2 other greybacks attempting to attack the buzzards, nature at work, messy etc but it's how things work.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:A Horseshoe Whipsnake crossed my path this morning down at the beach. First time I've ever seen a live snake in Spain :thumleft:
Not dangerous to humans.

Also found €5 so a good day so far.
Saw one outside the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona one day
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Greater Spotted Woodpecker in Morland's Meadow down at the towpath. An interesting spot - supposedly no woodpeckers in Ireland since the last ice age until about 2004/05.

About the size of a thrush and looks like this (not my photo). You'll hear him before you see him.

Big Neville Southall