Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by big mervyn »

A lot of kingfisher sighting down on the Lagan towpath this last few weeks. I've recorded at least 6 separate sightings along the old canal above Mickey Taylor's lock - probably the same one or a pair, as they are territorial. Usually perched on a bullrush and close enough to give you a good view if you're quiet :thumleft:

There's also a couple of Grey Lag geese still wintering down towards the weir and I've seen a buzzard regularly hovering over the meadow.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Kingfishers are beautiful birds. I've only seen two in my time. Once along the Minnowburn and once down here along the Bann. Buzzards are a common as muck in the sticks and big feckers to boot. I was cycling along the Newry canal tow path and one was perched on a fence post. It just watched me as I cycled past. Needless to say I watched it too just in case it decided I was a threat and fancied a go. Plenty of Herrons along the Bann as well. Merv you'd probably get more interest on this thread if you signed yourself as Kate Humble.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Trying to find the hidden message

Is Jared swimming again?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'm fatally attracted to Kate Humble MUM, I hear that she has something in common with Sammy Wilson....... and though I'm as gay as the next man, I'd far rather chance upon Kate's ringpiece than Sammy's flabby backside.

Thon cretin Campbell thought himself funny with his curried yoghurt but the funniest thing ever said in the Semmelie was Fartin M'Guinness with, "ach Sammy, great to see you with your clothes on". Amen to that.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

I'm not a dedicated twitcher, but I do love watching birds during a little "me" time.
We get some fantastic birds visit the garden, mostly the usual common types.
We have a Sparrow Hawk who's a regular, seems quite partial to the collared doves.
Last year, we had a visit, to the Mere at the bottom of our road, a Fish Eagle!
It didn't hang around for long, but you couldn't move for twitchers for days.
My favourites are Sparrows, busy little things
It must show that all the care and work done in the countryside is paying off when birds like buzzards, Hawks, herons etc appear to be thriving.
Having said that, I live in an area where you can't drive 50 yards without road kill, so plenty of food around for whatever is in to that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cardoc
Novice

Post by cardoc »

There's a rough looking bird can be seen on lampposts in the Lisburn area >crazy1
She is known locally as the common IKE
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Also not a dedicated twitcher but take more than a passing interest the birds in the garden and beyond.

Love seeing gold finches in the garden and have also had a couple of sparrow hawks (again) feasting on collared doves.

Occasionally get a heron in the garden (next door has a pond) and part of our garden is a bit marshy with plenty of frogs.

Probably my most "rare" visitors were the group of Bohemian Waxwings that came into the garden a couple of winters ago and stripped every berry off every bush before quickly moving on. Unfortunately was only able to get poor quality pics through the kitchen window without disturbing them.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

big mervyn wrote:A lot of kingfisher sighting down on the Lagan towpath this last few weeks. I've recorded at least 6 separate sightings along the old canal above Mickey Taylor's lock - probably the same one or a pair, as they are territorial. Usually perched on a bullrush and close enough to give you a good view if you're quiet :thumleft:

There's also a couple of Grey Lag geese still wintering down towards the weir and I've seen a buzzard regularly hovering over the meadow.
It's a small world - whilst walking with the family on the towpath this day last week saw what was probably the same Kingfisher at roughly the same spot - my first sighting in almost 30 years and a first for everyone else - made our day.

On the top of Cave Hill the day before (Monday 28th March) saw a single swallow - I have ever seen a swallow before late April and was amazed - I know - one swallow doesn't make a Summer, but then neither does a whole flock in this country :duck:
Finished
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rovi Snave wrote:
big mervyn wrote:A lot of kingfisher sighting down on the Lagan towpath this last few weeks. I've recorded at least 6 separate sightings along the old canal above Mickey Taylor's lock - probably the same one or a pair, as they are territorial. Usually perched on a bullrush and close enough to give you a good view if you're quiet :thumleft:

It's a small world - whilst walking with the family on the towpath this day last week saw what was probably the same Kingfisher at roughly the same spot - my first sighting in almost 30 years and a first for everyone else - made our day.

On the top of Cave Hill the day before (Monday 28th March) saw a single swallow - I have ever seen a swallow before late April and was amazed - I know - one swallow doesn't make a Summer, but then neither does a whole flock in this country :duck:
I believe, but could also be wrong, that the collective noun you seek is a flight,or a gulp of swallows. :whistle:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rovi Snave wrote:

I believe, but could also be wrong, that the collective noun you seek is a flight,or a gulp of swallows. :whistle:
You are quite correct Grumps - I particularly like "Gulp" :lol:
Finished
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

This link will take you to the results of the RSPB 2016 survey.
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The most common things twitching here are the curtains of a furtive couple across the road and a bit down from me. They are part of some self-invented religious cult, and having been a "common slut" and a pervy looking policeman who sells snooping devices in his spare time, they found God, made their children throw their Pokemon cards in the bin & denounced Harry Potter as the work of Satan. Odder than blue fu@k.

However, like Sammy the Nudist, getting back to Big Merv's nature watch, rather than birds, though I too get the odd heron visiting & more sparrows than you could shake a stick at, my more interesting visitors are some tiny bats who have appeared for over a decade in late spring and on warm days are always buzzing the western edifice of Trouser Towers where the heat of the fading sun gathers insects and they go to & fro polishing off flies, midges and anything else that flies.

Adorable wee craters and by coincidence we also get bats in late evenings at our wee Spanish hovel, Mrs T is quite taken by them. We also get huge numbers of swifts and plenty of swallows, the lake in front of our hovel has a couple of varieties of duck & as Merv probably knows well, there are hundreds if not thousands of Flamingoes to be seen on the coastal salt pans.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Did Paster O'Connell not find a rare bird at the bottom of his garden…

I used to have humming birds as a regular visitor to the garden.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I like tîts
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I hand reared some mammaries when I was a little boy.
Well one blue bieber to be exact as the other 7 snuffed it after the mum had abandoned the nest in our garden bird box.
I can still hear a blue mammaries call above any other bird and I have learned that it basically translated means, "hurry up and feed me before we all die you fecker."