USA Presidential Primaries 2016 - its all here.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: USA Presidential Primaries 2016 - its all here.

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
Yip, but Iran can basically ignore the FCO on the basis that she is one of their citizens.
I also think that the foreign think the same. The thinking is probably 'she is one of theirs'. She is still fully a British citizen though so they can apply whatever means they have at their disposal
She is not fully a British citizen though, and the means they have at their disposal are virtually nil.
Who we can help
We can provide the support set out in this guide to people outside the UK who are:
> British nationals (whether or not they normally live in the UK)
> British nationals with another nationality (known as ‘dual nationals’ ), although this will
depend on the circumstances - normally we cannot help dual nationals when they are in the country of their other nationality

If you are a dual British national in the country of your other nationality (for example, a dual US-British national in the US), we would not normally offer you support or get involved in dealings between you and the authorities of that state. We may make an exception to this rule if, having looked at the circumstances of the case, we consider that you are particularly vulnerable. These circumstances might include cases involving a murder or manslaughter, children, forced marriages or an offence which carries the death penalty. However, the help we can provide will depend on the circumstances and the country of your other nationality agreeing to it.
SOURCE: FCO Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
I have heard that if Boris had not opened his mouth that she would be back in the UK by now, FCO had negotiated her release.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
Yip, but Iran can basically ignore the FCO on the basis that she is one of their citizens.
I also think that the foreign think the same. The thinking is probably 'she is one of theirs'. She is still fully a British citizen though so they can apply whatever means they have at their disposal
She is not fully a British citizen though, and the means they have at their disposal are virtually nil.
Who we can help
We can provide the support set out in this guide to people outside the UK who are:
> British nationals with another nationality (known as ‘dual nationals’ ), although this will
depend on the circumstances - normally we cannot help dual nationals when they are in the country of their other nationality

If you are a dual British national in the country of your other nationality (for example, a dual US-British national in the US), we would not normally offer you support or get involved in dealings between you and the authorities of that state. We may make an exception to this rule if, having looked at the circumstances of the case, we consider that you are particularly vulnerable. These circumstances might include cases involving a murder or manslaughter, children, forced marriages or an offence which carries the death penalty. However, the help we can provide will depend on the circumstances and the country of your other nationality agreeing to it.
I have heard that if Boris had not opened his mouth that she would be back in the UK by now, FCO had negotiated her release.

And the more the press/opposition put the pressure on BJ over his handling, the more valuable a bargaining chip she becomes.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
Who we can help

And the more the press/opposition put the pressure on BJ over his handling, the more valuable a bargaining chip she becomes.
In reality he has just fecked up their chances of getting her out as it looks like FCO was telling lies to get her out and not only has he fecked up her chances but also any others who get in trouble over there. The only alternative to getting her out now is a SAS non negotiable release but that won't happen as it is a government who is holding her and not some bunch of random hostage takers.
A lot of grovelling and perhaps someone in jail in the UK as a swap deal or just serve her time now and hope the Iranians release her early is the most likely.

As for the USA, the country is populated by and run by bigoted arseholes

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Trump sentenced to death by North Korea. Hope they see it through...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rohdesian Coup
All to get rid of Mugabes ho

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
Who we can help

And I have heard that when a minister answers a question in the House, he usually does so by giving the information supplied to him by civil servants within his department, and that is exactly what Boris did when he answered the question.

Doesn't seem to be any questions asked about where Boris's info came from. Much easier just to blame Boris.

Of course Boris as the minister is responsible, but who (in the FCO?) threw him under the bus? Or did he just jump?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
Who we can help

And I have heard that when a minister answers a question in the House, he usually does so by giving the information supplied to him by civil servants within his department, and that is exactly what Boris did when he answered the question.

Doesn't seem to be any questions asked about where Boris's info came from. Much easier just to blame Boris.

Of course Boris as the minister is responsible, but who (in the FCO?) threw him under the bus? Or did he just jump?
Strikes me that Boris may be more inclined to go "off script" than most.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Strikes me that Boris may be more inclined to go "off script" than most.
True, but there's "going off script" and there's "creating an entirely new script".

I presume he didn't just make it up, he heard it somewhere.

Was he briefed that was the case, or did he hear it and believed it to be more the case than what he'd been briefed?

Bottom line is that he is responsible, but I wonder who gave him duff info? (or was it accurate info that just wasn't meant to be stated openly?)
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Just to get this back on topic -

BORIS FOR US PRESIDENT! :cheers:

(Trump would probably claim he was born in Africa somewhere)
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Strikes me that Boris may be more inclined to go "off script" than most.
True, but there's "going off script" and there's "creating an entirely new script".

Was he briefed that was the case, or did he hear it and believed it to be more the case than what he'd been briefed?

Bottom line is that he is responsible, but I wonder who gave him duff info? (or was it accurate info that just wasn't meant to be stated openly?)
She was charged with training journalists
Boris didn't listen during his briefing or didn't understand that training journalists was a serious crime in Iran
He decided to say she was only training journalists
Landed her in the SH1T!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

It quite possibly was something like " she was doing a bit of teaching on the side but we have them convinced she was on holiday"

Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

It quite possibly was something like " she was doing a bit of teaching on the side but we have them convinced she was on holiday"

You think it was a 'we have them convinced'; rather than a 'they are willing to accept'?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Need to be careful what we say here guys - the Iranians might be reading this.
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

You think it was a 'we have them convinced'; rather than a 'they are willing to accept'?
Probably your version BR would be a better way of putting it.
No matter what Boris was told he should have had the sense not to repeat it to the press

Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Need to be careful what we say here guys - the Iranians might be reading this.
HWM has procured an Iraq fleg (Ulster colours :thumleft: ) for the next home game ;)
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall