The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by BR »

222toHounslow wrote:If well known gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell is happy with the verdict, who am I to argue.
Of course, the gay community are more diverse in their views than their popular portrayal would have you believe. I even know some members who don't have long moustaches, nor wear leather caps!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
BR wrote: Aye, but sure they're the ones who'd be miserable if they had to actually think for themselves.
Not many really think about this stuff.
People who don't believe in a god are just accepting one of the common beliefs of this time and place.
We are living in what's been called the Age of Doubt which had its beginnings in the 19th century and you might say has gradually taken over our part of the world.
No more credit is due to followers of this belief than to followers of religions in other times/places.
Critical thought, in my view, has evolved through the rejection of 'belief' as an acceptable means of acquiring knowledge. The emergence of the scientific method has set this century and the last apart from previous times. In order to truly accept the the scientific method your starting point must be that we truly know nothing. Certainly in terms of the physical world.

Belief gives you a starting point based on assumption. This creates bias as every observation in the physical world is interpreted in such a way that will reinforce said belief. Disconfirming evidence is likely to be ignored.
So, in other words, you have to believe that you know nothing?
That doesn't require belief more of an acceptance.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
BR wrote: Aye, but sure they're the ones who'd be miserable if they had to actually think for themselves.
Not many really think about this stuff.
People who don't believe in a god are just accepting one of the common beliefs of this time and place.
We are living in what's been called the Age of Doubt which had its beginnings in the 19th century and you might say has gradually taken over our part of the world.
No more credit is due to followers of this belief than to followers of religions in other times/places.
Critical thought, in my view, has evolved through the rejection of 'belief' as an acceptable means of acquiring knowledge. The emergence of the scientific method has set this century and the last apart from previous times. In order to truly accept the the scientific method your starting point must be that we truly know nothing. Certainly in terms of the physical world.

Belief gives you a starting point based on assumption. This creates bias as every observation in the physical world is interpreted in such a way that will reinforce said belief. Disconfirming evidence is likely to be ignored.
So, in other words, you have to believe that you know nothing?
That doesn't require belief more of an acceptance.
Now that's being pedantic
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote: Now that's being pedantic
What did you want me to say?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

WeeWorld wrote:But my belief in what science says about everything is pretty much entirely based on accepting
what I've been told. I haven't verified any of it, so it's a belief.
Did they not teach science in your school WW?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

BR wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:If well known gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell is happy with the verdict, who am I to argue.
Of course, the gay community are more diverse in their views than their popular portrayal would have you believe. I even know some members who don't have long moustaches, nor wear leather caps!
Good for you, what the fûck has that got to do with me or my opinion?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

222toHounslow wrote:
BR wrote:
Good for you, what the fûck has that got to do with me or my opinion?
Not a thing, but I thought you were deferring your opinion to that of Mr Tatchell.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Well known Equality Commissioner, theologian and devout Christian, Michael Wardlow is unhappy with the verdict.
Have to say, I can see both sides of the legal argument here. Ashers are still kunts though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: >appl
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
Well known Equality Commissioner, theologian and devout Christian, Michael Wardlow is unhappy with the verdict.
Have to say, I can see both sides of the legal argument here. Ashers are still kunts though.
My feelings exactly Merv. My fear regarding the decision is and always has been that if this is the end of the matter that all manner of nasty wee ganches will behave like utter kunts to wops, wogs, niggers, jewboys, pakis ragheads, spics, fenians and sundry verminous people who don't look, sound or believe what they believe, and the courts will be full of spides whose sole defence will be that "he is against my religious beliefs so he is".

As for Peter Tatchell, he's a guy I have time for (anyone attempting a citizen's arrest on Robert Mugabe at the peak of his power deserves respect) but no time tonight, so I haven't read his thoughts yet, I'd guess that his approval would be similar to my sons' that this clown Mr Lee and his stunt simply deflect serious consideration of genuine discriminatory troubles that many LGBT people face.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Nail on the head there BT, I think this case has damaged all the previous good work that has gone on and brought people into the debate who previously had no thoughts on the matter, take sides.

The rights of a gay man do not override the rights of every other man.

I like Ashers muffins, that doesn’t mean anything political.

Anyway, that’s me finished with the thread. I’m away to find my leather cap with the chain.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

222toHounslow wrote:Nail on the head there BT, I think this case has damaged all the previous good work that has gone on and brought people into the debate who previously had no thoughts on the matter, take sides.

Anyway, that’s me finished with the thread. I’m away to find my leather cap with the chain.
Can I bring my whip ?

Anyway I had heard the same as your son had thought Baggy, quite a few thought that Lee had driven the gay debate back years by his case and some who actually know him said it was deliberate on his behalf to try and get this stunt off the ground.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:Nail on the head there BT, I think this case has damaged all the previous good work that has gone on and brought people into the debate who previously had no thoughts on the matter, take sides.

Can I bring my whip ?

Anyway I had heard the same as your son had thought Baggy, quite a few thought that Lee had driven the gay debate back years by his case and some who actually know him said it was deliberate on his behalf to try and get this stunt off the ground.

I don't doubt that Rooster, my dear friend Kofi told me that before he died and whilst I know he's powerful fond of a wind up, I have no reason not to believe that.

My own feeling that what Ashers did was wrong was largely based on the fact that they had accepted the order and payment and to then decline the order rather than at the point of sale, to me was a clear sign that if not legally discriminatory that it at least paid significant lip service to it.

On reflection, this is very clearly a case with clashing rights of the parties involved, with judges deciding on 3 different occasions whose rights have primacy. What I absolutely dislike about the whole thing is that a can of worms has been opened and numpties will perhaps inflict greater harm by actions which they may interpret as "legally justified", but that may be more seriously discriminatory in areas where it really matters. A cake? How gay. :duh:

As a separate thought, if the Supreme Court decided unanimously, what does that say about the competence of those who previously judged the matter? I suppose judges judge, they are as imperfect as the next man ..........barring two that I know of course who are right on everything. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

By the way, I still hope the bakers are consumed by flames. :thumleft:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:......barring two that I know of course who are right on everything. Image Image Image Image Image
Well looking back, I think I called this one right on page 2. (Although, I have to admit I short-circuited a couple of arguments raised by FETO)
www.stoutboys.co.uk