The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:Baggy, I think there is a danger of conflating two separate things, here: the law itself and the equal rights movement. Fundamentally, that anyone (your big gay son included) feels there is a tradeoff between these things indicates the very source of the problem. This is, perhaps, over-idealistic, of course but that (latent) homophobes are turned off one thing because of another shows, more than anything, that society hasn't developed as far as one might like to believe. I understand the practicalities you refer to but in no world is it a good thing that a law like that delivered in the Ashers case could be traded off against other forms of equal rights.
You are right Neil as was PWR. However as someone with the best interests of the LGBT community at heart, that is where my interest lies and I just don't think that this sort of stunt serves it well, much as I am a fan of the rule of law, but it's defence for me is not as pressing in this case.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:Rosa Parks was an 'activist'. Maybe she should've just sat quietly at the back of the bus rather than forcing an issue into the public domain?
Rosa Parks was being denied rights and should be commended for her actions

To call her an activist besmerches her good name

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Oh FFFS wise up.
What do you think I've done now?
Are you anti Rosa Parks?

promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Russ wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:Rosa Parks was an 'activist'. Maybe she should've just sat quietly at the back of the bus rather than forcing an issue into the public domain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks
She was a civil rights activist. Her action on the bus was a planned move. Like choosing a cake company.
Herman
Novice

Post by Herman »

Norn Iron really is a bigoted, backward place.

Every constituency in the south (bar one - and even there only by a small %) voted in favour of marriage equality.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:

Oh FFFS wise up.
What do you think I've done now?
Are you anti Rosa Parks?

Baggy's new nickname: Aunty Rosa.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I take umbridge to the bar steward of the activist term

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Right-wing spin: activist=terrorist.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Right-wing spin: activist=terrorist.
Any rioting/the attack on Byron/protest is attributed to an activist

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:

By who?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

By who?
Guardian mainly

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

By who?
Guardian mainly

It's like the term 'man'. You often read about a 'man' doing a rape or something. I think all man's are bankers.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

By who?
Guardian mainly

It's like the term 'man'. You often read about a 'man' doing a rape or something. I think all man's are bankers.
Top 1% resent top 0.5%

Guardians breaking news

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

JACKSON, Miss. – A federal appeals court said Thursday that Mississippi can enforce a law that allows merchants and government employees cite religious beliefs to deny services to same-sex couples, but opponents of the law immediately pledged to appeal.

A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a judge’s decision that had blocked the law.

Strange ruling from the 5th.
The 5th Circuit panel did not rule on whether the law is constitutional. It said plaintiffs failed to prove they would be harmed by the law, “but the federal courts must withhold judgment unless and until that plaintiff comes forward.”
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/23/mi ... court.html
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Just goes to show you can always rely on Mississippi to be the most backwards fuc'ks in the Union. Since they are now prevented from systematic abuse of "niggers" they now concentrate on who else they can discriminate against.

I'm quite sure that most LGBT people can defend themselves unless attacked by a brave mob 5:1 or some whackjob has been told by God to go to a nightclub with an automatic weapon and kills as many faggots as possible, but this latest gem of lunatic US Law specifically includes the ritual humiliation of children.

Specifically, a person born as a boy but who has lived as a girl will be compelled whether pre or post-op to use the school toilet appropriate to the gender on their birth certificate. So the sick ballix proposing this law envisages someone in a girls uniform using the male bathroom & vice versa. Now clearly he believes that will not result in bullying and/or mental health issues. I'd like to stick a pitchfork in the fuc'kers face, the sick moron.

Oh well, let's hope those motherfukkas in Ashers up sticks and head for Missifuc'kinsippi.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Having calmed down a little, I'll throw out a general question.

For the purposes of debate, I suggest we agree that the majority of bible thumpers are broadly speaking right wing conservatives, the background to this & similar laws & motions in state government and above make me ask this simple question.

Why oh why can people with these views not simply live their lives in accordance with their religious beliefs without always feeling the need to legislate based on said religious beliefs, and beyond reasonable doubt to inhibit the rights of others to conduct their lives as they feel appropriate within the law, and to legislate for and pass discriminatory laws?

I've always held that law changes should be made only where beneficial, not simply top be proscriptive.

I about someone asking, well what if a murderer wishes to be allowed to keep murdering? Or similar drivel.