The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

The Big Gay Cake

Post by Kofi Annan »

A bakery owner who refused to make a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage because of his Christian beliefs has been threatened with legal action by anti-discrimination authorities unless he pays compensation.

Ashers Baking Company in Northern Ireland earlier this year declined to bake a cake with the image of Sesame Street puppets Bert and Ernie below the motto Support Gay Marriage.

In the wake of its refusal to provide the service, the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland, a state-funded watchdog body set up to ensure compliance with anti-discrimination laws, took on the case on behalf of the customer, a gay rights activist.

General manager of the family-run bakery, Daniel McArthur, said he had received a letter from the commission claiming his stance breached legislation.

He said the letter told the company that if it did not offer compensation within seven days it would face litigation.

McArthur said his family would not be forced to promote a cause that went against their views. “We feel that the Equality Commission are pursuing us because of our beliefs that marriage is between a man and a woman,” he said.

“It feels like a David and Goliath battle because on one hand we have the Equality Commission who are a public body, they’re funded by taxpayers’ money, they have massive resources at their disposal whereas we are a small family business and we have limited resources at our disposal.

“We don’t want to be forced to promote a cause which is against our biblical beliefs. We’ve had a lot of support from people who disagree with our stance on same-sex marriage. They think that we should have the freedom to decline an order that conflicts with our conscience.”

Gay marriage is a highly divisive issue in Northern Ireland. The bakery’s decision was backed by Christian advocacy groups but criticised by gay rights organisations. Northern Ireland politicians have intervened on both sides of the debate.

A spokesman for the Equality Commission confirmed a letter had been sent to the bakery calling for “modest damages” to be paid to avoid litigation.

“The commission has now received a response from the company’s solicitors stating that their view remains unchanged that their clients have not acted unlawfully, confirming they have no further proposals to make on their clients behalf and that they will accept service of a civil bill in regard to this matter.

“The commission will be issuing a civil bill in this case and a decision as to whether or not discrimination has occurred will be a matter for the court. The commission will not be making further comment on the facts or issues in the case before a court hearing.”
DISCUSS.....
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by Snipe Watson »

Why would we want to discuss this again since there is zero chance of consensus?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Wonder what they class as modest damages.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:Why would we want to discuss this again since there is zero chance of consensus?
snipe, your so cynical
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Why would we want to discuss this again since there is zero chance of consensus?
snipe, your so cynical
I know, stops me sleeping at night.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

damianmcr wrote:Wonder what they class as modest damages.
Half a bap with suger on tap?

Don't think this one will do the gay community any favours. Seems like the greyest part of the grey area to me.

Bert and Ernie shoulkd be on more cakes though. Top blokes :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Aha ... yet another story that fails to register a micro movement on the "Giveafeckometer"
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I view this as an over the top response to an over the top response. Why doesn't someone make them a bloody cake and move the feck on! I hate that stuff like this makes the news, and feckin curry my yoghurt, meanwhile the ravaging cuts proposed for the health service are attributed very few feckage.

I understand that there isn't much appetite to discuss anything to do with religion on this board. As Snipe says, we won't reach a consensus, not that that is a reason not to debate something. The problem is, having been on differing sides on the religion debate, that neither side can prove/disprove the premise, i.e. belief in a supernatural God, who is invisible and has no physical presence or at least displays none. That remains completely untestable.

Refusing to make someone a cake on basis that the message on it goes against their religious views is absurd, in my opinion. The biblical argument against same sex relationships is fairly weak, with many starting to believe it be an erroneous interpretation of the scripture. Many of course remain faithful to the teachings of Jesus, he was an outstanding Rabbi, he is reported to have made multiple references to not judging others. So even if you believe something to be wrong or sinful, judging them is not permitted, so Christians should in my view, allow people to live their own lives on their own terms and no one should be subjected to the emotional guilt ridden diatribe that is commonplace in this part of the World.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cake is unhealthy
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Cake is unhealthy
Not if you would eat just a slice Russ, not the whole damned cake in one session.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Not if you would eat just a slice Russ, not the whole damned cake in one session.
Standard
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Just cut it in half and it's half the calories. Because it's half the calories you can have twice as much.

Little Britain banter
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Dave wrote:I view this as an over the top response to an over the top response. Why doesn't someone make them a bloody cake and move the feck on! I hate that stuff like this makes the news, and feckin curry my yoghurt, meanwhile the ravaging cuts proposed for the health service are attributed very few feckage.
100% on the money there Dave :salut: , meanwhile we are seeing Minor Injury Units being 'temporarily' closed sending even more people to A&E departments which are already at breaking point, it's madness.

Although the cynic in me cant't shake the notion that this bakery was deliberately targeted, don't know why..
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I almost hope the EC take it to court. Then when they are told to feck aff it will set a legal precedent.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:I almost hope the EC take it to court. Then when they are told to feck aff it will set a legal precedent.
There already is a guest house case heading for the European court, only winners all round will be the legal teams.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best