What are you drinking?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Currently drinking water

It's a great drink if taken (frozen) in the right spirit. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Currently drinking water

It's a great drink if taken (frozen) in the right spirit. :thumleft:
Philistine!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Neill_M wrote:
colind wrote:Belfast Beer & Cider Festival on from today until Sunday in Ulster Hall. (CAMRA organised)

Great to see so many new, local craft breweries featuring. :stout: :stout: >burp
Limited supply of each, once it’s gone etc. Went to it a few years ago on the Saturday, half of the products not available etc
You snooze, you lose Neill. I've been a couple of times.

We had the Ulster Hall looking a pretty picture on 21 October. Ulster and Lancashire flags draped over the balcony...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My Missus and I went to a friends house to make a late assistance to their child's birthday celebration. My friend is a Roman PSNI man and has converted his garage into a bar, stout tap and all.

However, no stout was poured that night, he lined up about 15 -20 bottles of beer from all over the world, starting in Belgium with a couple of different "Trappist" offerings and ended with a return to this island with a couple of bottled Guinness brewed offerings, the Indies & Dublin brews.

I have never tasted the "Pale Ale" a concoction I've always thought best left to the Lionels.

My conclusion: The Belgian stuff was OK, much of the rest mixed but at the end of the day & the going down of the sun, draught stout, even the shyte at Spanners trumps all these gassy lager etc etc bottled ballix.

A good nights craic just the same.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Friend has made his own beer for this weekend
Sadly ive been invited to a thanks giving and will likely miss his pale ale

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote:
Neill_M wrote:
colind wrote:Belfast Beer & Cider Festival on from today until Sunday in Ulster Hall. (CAMRA organised)

Great to see so many new, local craft breweries featuring. :stout: :stout: >burp
Limited supply of each, once it’s gone etc. Went to it a few years ago on the Saturday, half of the products not available etc
You snooze, you lose Neill. I've been a couple of times.

We had the Ulster Hall looking a pretty picture on 21 October. Ulster and Lancashire flags draped over the balcony...
Aye, the barman said in true Ulster style, everyone targeted the strong stuff first and went from there :lol:

One year, there was an ale which I wanted to try - Orkney Skull Splitter 8.5%. It was sold out of course. Managed to get hold of a couple of bottles after the event - had a kick to it for sure!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

As a rule of thumb, I don't like beer >5.5%
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gentlemen prefer stout :stout:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Was in Madrid the other week for a short break. Hotel and various bars were serving Mahou lager, very nice too. The missus and myself got to talking about how every European city we visit offers genuinely nice beer, stuff with a bit of life and taste to it. Beats the crap out of the Heineken / Carlsberg dross we get served over here.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:As a rule of thumb, I don't like beer >5.5%
As a rule of thumb, I don't like beer <5.0%. Exception for stout, obviously. >drinks

I do like the Trappist brews meself. Strong stuff. No wonder they have difficulty stringing a few words together.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Nothing to beat Westmalle Dubbel.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

promenader 2 wrote:Was in Madrid the other week for a short break. Hotel and various bars were serving Mahou lager, very nice too. The missus and myself got to talking about how every European city we visit offers genuinely nice beer, stuff with a bit of life and taste to it. Beats the crap out of the Heineken / Carlsberg dross we get served over here.

You can readily find Mahou here now, bottled and draft. Its brewed by St Miguel, but imported and sold in the UK by Carlsberg so theres no getting away from them
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Gentlemen prefer stout :stout:
Not that high octane stuff though.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

promenader 2 wrote:Was in Madrid the other week for a short break. Hotel and various bars were serving Mahou lager, very nice too. The missus and myself got to talking about how every European city we visit offers genuinely nice beer, stuff with a bit of life and taste to it. Beats the crap out of the Heineken / Carlsberg dross we get served over here.
UK and Ireland lagers all brewed from the same malts grown and graded to the same specifications plus use basically the same yeasts and hops so the only real difference is the water used and most of that is limestone borewelll stuff so pretty similar.
The European lagers have a more diverse malt varieties and also different soils grown on leading to more variation in flavours along with vastly different water supplies.
If you want different flavours in the UK you have to look to the ales as they have a bigger variation in ingredients, in particular the hops and yeasts.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Home last week and found Dundalgan Irish Country Cream in the fridge. Ended up taking it with me as my Dad doesnt like it. Much prefers Baileys but I have to say I prefer the Lidl stuff.