A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:Why are we paying our MLAs? I don't know. There is a perception that we are vile moany unfriendly GAWA nutjobs but in reality we are usually the ones to be shat on.
Our MLAs stopped Brexit and moved billions of English money into the local economy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
When
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:Why are we paying our MLAs? I don't know. There is a perception that we are vile moany unfriendly GAWA nutjobs but in reality we are usually the ones to be shat on.
Our MLAs stopped Brexit and moved billions of English money into the local economy

When
Brexit was stopped this morning
The money has flowed for years through rhi and mays bribes

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

When
Brexit was stopped this morning
The money has flowed for years through rhi and mays bribes

+1
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Russ wrote:

I stopped reading when you said "the north"
Please be respectful to Northern Ireland

Respect has to be earned Russ - I don't think we as a people or our politicians have done much to earn anyone's respect.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pwrmoore wrote:
Russ wrote:

Respect has to be earned Russ - I don't think we as a people or our politicians have done much to earn anyone's respect.
It's like calling a male to female transgender person the wrong pronoun

Not acceptable any more

RIP August Ames

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

If only D4 could agree the wording on Kiss's resignation we could all move forward...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:I always hesitate to say anything on here about political stuff...................

In favour of that happening is the massive change in the ROI in my lifetime. Apart from the economic development, the collapse of organized religion and indeed the growth of anti-clericalism has been quite remarkable. The latter may surprise some of you. Down here, people have no interest whatsoever in dominating NI. We yawn if you mention the local affairs of the north on TV or radio. Of course, older folk here remember and didn't like the way the minority community was treated after 1921 but that's now ancient history.
D4, it's a public forum, people make ill-advised and uninformed comments all the bloody time, feel free to express yourself. >EW

I'm glad to hear that "anti-clericalism" is rampant, I hope the collaredbastards are feeling the pinch, though I do wonder is the feeling greater in Dublin that amongst the yokels.

As for how the minority was treated, my Da was born in 1917 of West-Brit stock and went to Mountjoy, the school, not the jail. He was a bright spark but of course, many jobs that needed an Irish qualification as did University entrance.

He did the entrance exam for Trinity, as he told it, you met with some tutors and they each gave you a score out of 10. His final one was with the Irish tutor and he was clearly feckin' hopeless. The man said to him, "What do you need" "Five" says Da, "Five it is then George" says yer man.

Didn't matter, you had to pay to go and though my grandfather ran a good business, it was in the wake of the Great Depression and he was having to operate on a barter system to keep himself and his community in Arklow going. People who couldn't pay brought what they had and might exchange a clatter of freshly dug spuds for a loaf of bread. That sort of thing. So with the lack of money, he came north and joined the NICS where his lack of Irish was not a problem.

But I can tell you that my family never talked about being treated any differently from others just because they weren't into crossing themselves & dipping the knee to a mythical being. I spent entire summers in Arklow, had many friends and was never called a Nordiebastard ever............... well until I went as an adult to rugby matches. :roll:

I think the long and short of it, is that for the huge majority of non-fanatics, north & south we are used to the status quo, recognise that we are pottering along ok and a UI would take a huge leap of faith financially - even Germany struggled with reunification in that respect.

All that of course would be as nothing compared to the "cultural issues". My own feeling is that it will be long after Gerry Adams, Kelly and all the other "combatants" are dead before there is any chance of the stupider elements of the Proddie Nation giving it the slightest consideration. Those who continue as dissidents are merely setting any chance of UI back by the decade.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Oh yeah, forgot to correct you D4. 1921 is not ancient history, 1690 is a current issue :lol: :lol: :lol: , 1921 has a long way to go before it "matures".
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Russ wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:I always hesitate to say anything on here about political stuff.
Like the vast majority of people in the south, I have no interest in any kind of a take over of the north and am perfectly happy with all the peace and progress of the last twenty years. (As an aside,I admit to puzzlement with your somewhat self absorbed local politicians, why do you pay them to do nothing?).

The Brexit shambles and the sheer stupidity of the Tories in trying to depart an EU where modern British trade and political interests are located, is changing the picture. If the UK wants to destroy its own position and lose all influence by what it is presently doing, then so be it and there is nothing we can do to help them. But it doesn't mean that NI people, or the Scottish for that matter, have to go down with the Titanic.

I could envisage a situation where NI might say it is better off leaving the English to their own devices and hooking up in some loose arrangement with us. I could live with that.

In favour of that happening is the massive change in the ROI in my lifetime. Apart from the economic development, the collapse of organized religion and indeed the growth of anti-clericalism has been quite remarkable. The latter may surprise some of you. Down here, people have no interest whatsoever in dominating NI. We yawn if you mention the local affairs of the north on TV or radio. Of course, older folk here remember and didn't like the way the minority community was treated after 1921 but that's now ancient history.

So I think we are a lot closer than we used to be. If there ever were to be some form of unity within the EU, it would have to include the continuation of Stormont and the system of government you have been used to having. It would have to be some kind of federalism.
I think it would mean your using the Euro.
I think it could also mean retaining UK citizenship if the UK still existed.

Brexit is bringing a lot to the surface. Maybe not what the Tory Europhobes envisaged.

Yeah, at least give the North a capital letter D4. :D
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Apologies to Russ and Promenader.
I think I also referred to the "south" as well as to the "north". I meant no offence. It's just easier to write the north or NI. As it's also easier to write the south.

But isn't this one of the problems? We don't realize how easy it is give offence.

On the question of anticlericalism, having resented them so much in their days of pomp and power, I feel a bit sorry for the elderly remaining clerics, most of whom tried their best in their own way.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Some reading for my flight to London tomorrow morning - https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/b ... report.pdf
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:Apologies to Russ and Promenader.
I think I also referred to the "south" as well as to the "north". I meant no offence. It's just easier to write the north or NI. As it's also easier to write the south.

But isn't this one of the problems? We don't realize how easy it is give offence.

On the question of anticlericalism, having resented them so much in their days of pomp and power, I feel a bit sorry for the elderly remaining clerics, most of whom tried their best in their own way.
DGAF what you call yourself

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote: Right - sorted then!
What will have for a flag and anthem?
Fleg - White background with an image of the island in green.

Anthem - Seven drunken nights.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:You called Stan a brit
Is Stan British? I don't know him.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:
BR wrote: Right - sorted then!
What will have for a flag and anthem?
Fleg - White background with an image of the island in green.

Anthem - Seven drunken nights.
White flag? No surrender!
Green? A wee bit one sided?
Night's or knights?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk