A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
Neil F wrote:The biggest reason for a "Yes" vote in the Scottish referendum is the way the "No" campaign are carrying on!
The biggest reason is that they are letting uneducated people vote who have only recently watched Braveheart

The only logical decision is a no vote.

Plain and simple

sent from my crozier
Whilst you may be right Russ, what sticks in my craw is how "Call me Dave" is such a democrat, offers a free & fair vote then sets about trying to scare the financial bejasus clean out of the tattie-hoaking haggis-munchers.

This is not my idea of democracy, it you are a democrat you state a cogent argument, you do not resort to bullying & scaremongering. Whilst I had no firm feelings yin way or t'other, I'd love to see the Scots wave their baws at Dave & say, "byeeeeee ya backtilfront"

Then wee feckin' Gideon*** frae no.11 chuntering on about the pun stirling. Oh no Jock you cannae ha' a pun', it's uuur British pun'. Completely ignoring the fact that both having a shared currency is not only practical but desirable given the amount of cross-border traffic & trade. The is not one reason he has given that is insurmountable - simple politicking.

A flood on all their houses. Scots wha hae. >bud
jock.jpg

*** Wee Gideon, what a wee keek the mon is, I'd celebrate his death with as much gusto as I celebrated the demise of paedophile monkey-fecking "I'm forever blowing Bubbles" b'stard Micky Jackson5, he of the weird bake.
Democracies are built on truth

The Spanish will be the real thorn in Scotland's side. They won't let them in the EU. So who will buy their oil and pay their farmers.

sent from my crozier
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm not sure the UK can stop any future independent Scotland from using the Pound. However they do not have to allow them any influence in BoE monetary policy, (other than that which would be acheived by market forces). Did Dublin have any say in British monetary policy?

I'd see them going dual-currency (like Newry, but with culture)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:I'm not sure the UK can stop any future independent Scotland from using the Pound. However they do not have to allow them any influence in BoE monetary policy, (other than that which would be acheived by market forces). Did Dublin have any say in British monetary policy?

Feck Sadie je guldered :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote:I'm not sure the UK can stop any future independent Scotland from using the Pound. However they do not have to allow them any influence in BoE monetary policy, (other than that which would be acheived by market forces). Did Dublin have any say in British monetary policy?

No it didn't and it has no say in ECB Monetary Policy either.

Anybody able to advise what are the advantages for Scotland of breaking away from England. I can't think of any. And I mean actual advantages rather than just some anti-English balllix with or without reference to historical matters.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:Anybody able to advise what are the advantages for Scotland of breaking away from England. I can't think of any. And I mean actual advantages rather than just some anti-English balllix with or without reference to historical matters.
It would greatly improve the smuggling industry - in fact there would probably be mass migration from Newry.

"Welcome to Coldstream - the Newry of the East"
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

In practical terms i.e. economy, employment etc., I can only see advantages for Scotland.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Setanta wrote:In practical terms i.e. economy, employment etc., I can only see advantages for Scotland.
Such as? Each one of those Scotland is heavily reliant on the UK and Europe.

Bye bye UK. Bye bye Europe. Bye bye jobs and economic wealth.

sent from my crozier
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote:
Shan wrote:Anybody able to advise what are the advantages for Scotland of breaking away from England. I can't think of any. And I mean actual advantages rather than just some anti-English balllix with or without reference to historical matters.
It would greatly improve the smuggling industry - in fact there would probably be mass migration from Newry.

"Welcome to Coldstream - the Newry of the East"
Well that may be advantageous to NI but unless the Scottish Parliament can somehow manage to regulate and tax the smuggling industry I am struggling to see the advantage. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Setanta wrote:In practical terms i.e. economy, employment etc., I can only see advantages for Scotland.

Any details on how these would be advantaged in an independent Scotland.

Not that I am fishing for ideas to use here mind you. :D
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:I'd see them going dual-currency (like Newry, but with culture)
Lots of culture in Newry ..... admittedly its confined to the labs at Daisyhill and Norbrook ......
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BR wrote:I'd see them going dual-currency (like Newry, but with culture)
Lots of culture in Newry ..... admittedly its confined to the labs at Daisyhill and Norbrook ......
haha - very good grumps...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Did you get that map, Rooster, from the Tory propaganda group. They're very good; did some great work for the PRL, I hear.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Setanta wrote:Did you get that map, Rooster, from the Tory propaganda group. They're very good; did some great work for the PRL, I hear.
Alright Alex. Calm down

sent from my crozier
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Shan, I suppose the first retort is a question about how one expects Scotland would be worse off? In a way, I've always found this a kind of specious line of thought by the Better Together campaign. Why should Scotland need to be better off for its people to exercise their right to self-determination? In this context, there is as much requirement for cogent arguments about why independence would be bad for Scotland as why it would be good. This is the serious part to my earlier comment about the Better Together comment above - I'm yet to see anything other than fearmongering and bullying from Unionists on this matter. They are trying to define the debate, not on why union would be good but on why independence would be bad. This is a kind of negative politics the whole world could do without; Scots, at least, have a chance to vote against that kind of negative politics. To their credit, the Independence campaign has done a much better job with positive politics (although, of course, in the sense of seeking a change to the status quo, their debate would be expected to be framed in these terms - I'm not naïve enough to think this is just about "good politics").

For the record, I've yet to see anything that suggests Scotland would be significantly worse off as an independent nation (I say that with the admission that I'm no macroeconomist but it's hard to get a doctorate in microeconomics without picking up a few things about the macroeconomy on the way through). There are some outstanding issues regarding the currency that would be used, the speed of accession to the EU (as there's no real doubt that Scotland wouldn't be allowed accession - just questions about how quickly the accession would happen) but, at the risk of being flippant, these are more details than the central argument the No Campaign are trying to make them. Something that hasn't been touched on is that it's not really in the UK's interest to create trade barriers with Scotland given the amount of cross-border exports from the UK to Scotland, regardless of the currency used. Said with all due respect, this will not be the coal-cattle wars...

The reality is that, in an independent Scotland, not a whole lot is going to change, economically. Scotland is not going to turn into Norway - certainly not overnight. That said, that's maybe a good thing - I don't want to think how the Weegies would react to a sextupling in price of a bottle of Bucky... The flip side is that it isn't going to turn into Somalia, either. The benefits, mostly, will not be economic (certainly in the short-term) but more (ideologically) political. These are very private things but Scotland has a tendency to be more socially liberal and economically left than England. I'm not going to introduce a discussion about how "real" or "good" these things are but the Scottish approach to the environment, tertiary education, etc. is very different than the policies followed in Westminster for the last 20 years. Whether Scots "gain" from this is another question but actually less relevant, I think, to something so subjective as political beliefs.

Again, how much would really change is debatable; I doubt very much but again, how important is that, really? In reality, it really is a question about desire for self-determination. I think it's, again, the negative politics of the Better Together campaign to paint those who desire such self-determination as a bunch of Sassanach-hating Highlanders. The reality is rather different. There are, of course, enough Sassanach-hating Highlanders but on the other side, there are also a bunch of raving Union Jack waving jingoists who think British is still Best... In between, there are thoughtful people, on both sides of the argument. At the moment, though, it seems that only the Yes campaign is dealing with the argument on those terms - to put it another way, if Scotland really is as crap as the Better Together campaign suggests, Westminster would be glad to see the back of a resource-depleting backwater...

To suggest this is a vote about petty national politics, or will be decided by people on that sort of level is rather insulting to a large number of people. Sadly, jingoism (on both sides) and a reduction of the argument to Bannockburn is much easier than considering the plethora of issues that a number of Scots and non-Scots resident in Scotland (who are also entitled to vote) may actually have with the status quo. It's sort of like saying the American Civil War was about slavery and slavery, only. Or that the Troubles were the inevitable consequence of the Plantation of Ulster...