A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by shamalicious »

Hear hear Baggy, on both counts. I've already expressed my feeling about the Newtownabbey play on another thread. DUP are G*tlands.

On the Benefits Street issue, I've been watching this series and can't help but think it's just like all the other programmes that have demonised benefit claimants. Why isn't there a "bankers' street" or "tax evasion" street, when stats suggest money "lost" from the economy is far more likely to be through tax evasion than benefit fraud.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Jackie Brown wrote:I used to be a Newtownabbey resident, thank god I moved to Carrickfergus....
To see that as success shows a clear lack of ambition :duck:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

shamalicious wrote:Hear hear Baggy, on both counts. I've already expressed my feeling about the Newtownabbey play on another thread. DUP are G*tlands.
Fair dues. The UUP mayor was also behind this. Not all the neandertal feck are in the DUP.

This Newtownabbey thing is good. It has demonstrated that the overwhelming majority of people here find the whole thing risable and embarrassing. The Belly Telly actually ran LAUGHING STOCK! as their banner headline.

The production does seem a bit juvenile, and is probably better suited to a kiddies matinee, but hopefully it will return to a bigger venue here in the near future.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

shamalicious wrote:On the Benefits Street issue, I've been watching this series and can't help but think it's just like all the other programmes that have demonised benefit claimants. Why isn't there a "bankers' street" or "tax evasion" street, when stats suggest money "lost" from the economy is far more likely to be through tax evasion than benefit fraud.
I haven't seen benefits street except some trailers but apparently it exposes benefit cheats?
If the programme was called Bankers Street would you be similarly concerned about how it demonised bankers?
Do you have to expose all cheats at the same time or none?
Like everyone else I'm mad as hell with what the 'big people' have done to this country but that's no reason to give less sophisticated scumbags a free pass.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I'm pretty sure movies like "The Wolf of Wall Street" are the "benefits street" for the rich
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:Hear hear Baggy, on both counts. I've already expressed my feeling about the Newtownabbey play on another thread. DUP are G*tlands.

On the Benefits Street issue, I've been watching this series and can't help but think it's just like all the other programmes that have demonised benefit claimants. Why isn't there a "bankers' street" or "tax evasion" street, when stats suggest money "lost" from the economy is far more likely to be through tax evasion than benefit fraud.
Call me a cynic Shammy but I believe that when things are bad it suits "society" & more so the politicians for us all to have someone to look down on. Let's have a scapegoat & preferably one with no worthwhile access to the media or recourse against whatever slant a TV goon may wish to portray.

For bankers it is not possible for the government to control their avarice, so we get the usual absolute bullshit about paying top dollar for these "talented" high-fliers whose main ability seems to be ruining a previously sound business by becoming licensed gamblers & being rewarded whether the gambling is successful or disastrous. After all there isn't too much difference between an annual colossal bonus & a golden handshake & massive pension.

Tax evaders? The accountancy profession & successive governments have a lot to answer for, creative avoidance reviewed in retrospect. :duh: :duh: :duh:

Lets not get started on multinationals - the google, microsoft, starbucks & endless others who sell themselves around the world for favourable tax incentives & whilst providing quality jobs in some cases, simply cheat with assistance from the aforementioned accountancy profession to avoid/evade any semblance of realistic taxation. Pirates in suits.

If one profession could usefully be nationalised and run as a government department, accountancy is it. Of course no government could do this in isolation & there is no appetite for any such thing amongst the wealthy who by hook or by crook run the economy of every country and basically steal from us ordinary Joes & Josephines.

Gatlands.
angry-mob.gif
angry-mob.gif (1.98 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Roll on the Revolution. >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I used to be a Newtownabbey resident, thank god I moved to Carrickfergus....
Was going to mention frying pans & fires but that'll get 'er done Kofi.

I've never knowingly gazed upon Jackie's countenance but have you ever notice that you never see anything but ugly people in Carrick >crazy1

I worked their for a couple of years in the 70s. Had to wear dark glasses most of the time to protect my eyesight. Most need a beg over their fizzer. :paperbag:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
I've never knowingly gazed upon Jackie's countenance but have you ever notice that you never see anything but ugly people in Carrick >crazy1
That's Ards you clampit!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
That's Ards you clampit!
Ards may be a fecking bradpitthole but it's not Comber

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
That's Ards you clampit!
Ards may be a fecking bradpitthole but it's not Comber

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:
shamalicious wrote:On the Benefits Street issue, I've been watching this series and can't help but think it's just like all the other programmes that have demonised benefit claimants. Why isn't there a "bankers' street" or "tax evasion" street, when stats suggest money "lost" from the economy is far more likely to be through tax evasion than benefit fraud.
I haven't seen benefits street except some trailers but apparently it exposes benefit cheats?
If the programme was called Bankers Street would you be similarly concerned about how it demonised bankers?
Do you have to expose all cheats at the same time or none?
Like everyone else I'm mad as hell with what the 'big people' have done to this country but that's no reason to give less sophisticated scumbags a free pass.
Piarse, why don't you learn to read and don't be a feckin' arsefoon. You show a complete lack of comprehension about what is being discussed, the fact that it is the easy target that not only government but now the TV companies see as a target.

Even that little you may have will be taking away by some grasping b'stard even if it is only your last vestige of self-respect.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Snipe me ould china, I have no wish to wage a religious war with you but you rather skilfully are dodging the issue.

Before making probably my final post on the Newtownabbey lunacy, let me say this thread is about politics not religion & I did not introduce this issue, but hear we go.

I think its fair to say few or none of us would bat an eyelid if someone put on a play about a mocking of a flat earth, or wizards, pixies, fairies or suchlike. Religion is not any different. You and the DUP & many many citizens may not like a theatrical production which doesn't fit your thought processes on religion but really, have you or they the moral right to ban it?
This what I mean, you missed my point entirely. I am completely indifferent towards the play and have no desire to see it banned. I didn't say, suggest or in any way intimate that it should be banned. To be entirely accurate my only comment on the council action was to call it an overreaction.
To make it abundantly clear, I do not agree with the banning of the play from council premises or anywhere else.
monkee
Novice

Post by monkee »

On another subject:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... amous-fans

Now, we should all just count ourselves lucky that, at least, this sin't a debate in our wee country.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Even that little you may have will be taking away by some grasping b'stard even if it is only your last vestige of self-respect.
If you have never worked and instead have lived on benefits all your life you aren't the one whose 'little' is being taken.
It's the sods who weekly have up to 50% of their income taken from them who are being filleted.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
That's Ards you clampit!
Don't talk bullshit Jackie, I've never worked in Ards - Carrick home of the feckin' monstrously ugly.