A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Shan »

It's all very sad banning things which you don't like.

It is a tad strange that people believe anybody has a right to respect for no reason in particular. Everybody has the right to freedom which includes freedom to practice their religion or to proclaim their beliefs or lack thereof if they wish. Everybody else has the right to question or ridicule such beliefs or lack of same. Everybody has the right to be offended but nobody should have the right to be able to use that offense to limit another's freedom.

It's pretty simple stuff really for those who wish to live in a free society. Thing is there's plenty of people who don't.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

On a serious note >EW ,why do we have three weeks with no rugby and then the sixnations and the league running in parallel? Surely a bit of common and rearrangement would allow the six nations not to clash with the league?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Setanta wrote:On a serious note >EW ,why do we have three weeks with no rugby and then the sixnations and the league running in parallel? Surely a bit of common and rearrangement would allow the six nations not to clash with the league?
Ruan needs a rest. PRL says it's cheating

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:It's all very sad banning things which you don't like.

It is a tad strange that people believe anybody has a right to respect for no reason in particular. Everybody has the right to freedom which includes freedom to practice their religion or to proclaim their beliefs or lack thereof if they wish. Everybody else has the right to question or ridicule such beliefs or lack of same. Everybody has the right to be offended but nobody should have the right to be able to use that offense to limit another's freedom.

It's pretty simple stuff really for those who wish to live in a free society. Thing is there's plenty of people who don't.
I agree entirely except for the word ridicule. Ridicule is entirely unhelpful, provocative and a sign of intolerance in itself. Free expression is vitally important, but not if it leads to further conflict.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
I agree entirely except for the word ridicule. Ridicule is entirely unhelpful, provocative and a sign of intolerance in itself. Free expression is vitally important, but not if it leads to further conflict.
Yeah Snipe I think the word ridicule is not appropriate really. It is too negative and seems to suggest finger pointing and laughing rather than reasoned argument, comment or debate. In my opinion that type of endeavour serves no possible positive purpose for society in general and only serves to sate the appetite of the intolerant as you've suggested. Reasoned debate however can help us all as education and knowledge gathering and sharing is, IMO, one of the most valuable things in our lives.

The only time I would stand behind ridiculing of individuals is where there own actions demand its use. This would be for persons in positions of power who scandalously use their own personal beliefs to impact on another's freedom. They are ripe for far worse than ridicule in my book. In any civilised society they should be removed from office under public pressure. That they are not is a negative mark against all of us in the free world.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Yeah Snipe I think the word ridicule is not appropriate really. It is too negative and seems to suggest finger pointing and laughing rather than reasoned argument, comment or debate. In my opinion that type of endeavour serves no possible positive purpose for society in general and only serves to sate the appetite of the intolerant as you've suggested. Reasoned debate however can help us all as education and knowledge gathering and sharing is, IMO, one of the most valuable things in our lives.

The only time I would stand behind ridiculing of individuals is where there own actions demand its use. This would be for persons in positions of power who scandalously use their own personal beliefs to impact on another's freedom. They are ripe for far worse than ridicule in my book. In any civilised society they should be removed from office under public pressure. That they are not is a negative mark against all of us in the free world.
Reasoned argument is.......reasonable. :thumleft:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Seriously, the week after Round 6 and the weeks after the HEC/Rabo finals, this place just gets really argumentative
No it doesn't.

Re the "banned" play, without knowing more about it, I won't comment too much except to say that as I understand it, it has not been banned. The council have simply said that it cannot be performed on council premises. If the touring company could find another venue (e.g. a church hall), there is nothing to stop them performing it. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

>Off_Topic_Man
Setanta wrote:On a serious note >EW ,why do we have three weeks with no rugby and then the sixnations and the league running in parallel? Surely a bit of common and rearrangement would allow the six nations not to clash with the league?

>Off_Topic_Man BUt to answer you , it would simply create more games for the players who IRFU
centrally protect from excessive exposure to rugby.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe me ould china, I have no wish to wage a religious war with you but you rather skilfully are dodging the issue.

Before making probably my final post on the Newtownabbey lunacy, let me say this thread is about politics not religion & I did not introduce this issue, but hear we go.

I think its fair to say few or none of us would bat an eyelid if someone put on a play about a mocking of a flat earth, or wizards, pixies, fairies or suchlike. Religion is not any different. You and the DUP & many many citizens may not like a theatrical production which doesn't fit your thought processes on religion but really, have you or they the moral right to ban it? Would it have lead to riots in the streets of that backward borough? I very much doubt that any sane person could answer yes to either.

The End

Now Benefit Street, there really is an insidious piece of work.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jockster wrote: You wha?? What about yon moral police up in newtownabbey......they banned a play which they have never seen because it may upset the DUP faithfull-----total gatlands!!!!!!
Crazy, if you don't like something just don't go, as long as the production is not in any way illegal then should be up to the individual.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Plainly an abuse of their powers.

The Newtonabbey resident and regular theatre goer I spoke to said the council are an embarrassment.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I used to be a Newtownabbey resident, thank god I moved to Carrickfergus....
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

One lot's as bad as the other; still don't understand how the taking down of the flag was moving on and improving community relations. :lol:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Certain types of people are intolerant.
When these people are part of a minority they ask for tolerance and fair play.
When they're part of a majority they persecute.
You see it in religion, atheism, politics, business, everything humans do.