A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by BaggyTrousers »

It came to me in a dream, the utter hypocrisy of the DUP stance. Their insistence that NI must be treated exactly the same as the rest of the UK.

Does this mean that we can expect abortion on demand and same sex marriage within the next few weeks and that legislation around the RHI initiative will be changed to reflect the same terms as in the UK thus depriving much of their support base of the ability to garner riches by their contributions to global warming?

I welcome this new openness of the DUP to societal cultural and legal homogeneity in these islands. Maybe we’ll all live happily ever after. :roll:

Heat your sash with Arlene’s ash, warm yer hole with Arlene’s coal.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I love the recent appearance of a second whistleblower... she told the enquiry something like that this was the worse scandal since the the last one... stormont just moves from one feck up to the next.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:
Rooster wrote:A very hard sell Shan since what SF want is a United Ireland under SF rule and I don't think many down your way want that anyway never mind a majority up here

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Many down here don't want a UI even without SF rule. Add in SF rule to the mix and many would pine for a return to English rule. :D
It's in the SF constitution unless they have removed it in the past couple of years.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

DUP/UDA voters know they're an embarrassment

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:
Rooster wrote:They used to say Paisley and Robinson were the best 2 recruitment agents the provos had, now Arlene and her merry band are the best chance SF have of getting their wish for a United Ireland, biggest problem they now have is convincing both N and S electorate
A hard sell.
A very hard sell Shan since what SF want is a United Ireland under SF rule and I don't think many down your way want that anyway never mind a majority up here

SF's vote in the north would fall through the floor in the event of a UI. Many northern nationalists vote for them in the same way, I suspect, that many unionists vote for the DUP - ie they think the SDLP (or UU) are fcuked and they want someone to stand up to themuns. The political context of UI would be totally different.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shan wrote:Many down here don't want a UI even without SF rule. Add in SF rule to the mix and many would pine for a return to English rule. :D
There's the answer to the whole problem - United Ireland as part of the UK outside the EU, and no border anywhere, hard or soft. :thumleft:

Shoor the Teeshirt could remain as that, as head of the devolved government dan saff.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

promenader 2 wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:
Rooster wrote:They used to say Paisley and Robinson were the best 2 recruitment agents the provos had, now Arlene and her merry band are the best chance SF have of getting their wish for a United Ireland, biggest problem they now have is convincing both N and S electorate
A hard sell.
A very hard sell Shan since what SF want is a United Ireland under SF rule and I don't think many down your way want that anyway never mind a majority up here

SF's vote in the north would fall through the floor in the event of a UI. Many northern nationalists vote for them in the same way, I suspect, that many unionists vote for the DUP - ie they think the SDLP (or UU) are fcuked and they want someone to stand up to themuns. The political context of UI would be totally different.
I think it is time that a political party in the South proposed a United Ireland in modern terms. That debate should start.

Exactly how united would it be? Totally unified, as united as it used to be, or just vaguely united like the United Kingdom?

What would our brothers in the south be prepared to forego? I would suggest many have not even considered anything other than the current territory with its current constitution, laws and social practices extended by 6 counties and nothing else changes.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:
A hard sell.

I think it is time that a political party in the South proposed a United Ireland in modern terms. That debate should start.

Exactly how united would it be? Totally unified, as united as it used to be, or just vaguely united like the United Kingdom?

What would our brothers in the south be prepared to forego? I would suggest many have not even considered anything other than the current territory with its current constitution, laws and social practices extended by 6 counties and nothing else changes.
Given the fractured state of Irish palatics, it's not beyond the bounds that Ulster Unionists could be part of a right wing coalition government in a united Ireland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

BR wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:
A hard sell.

Here's how the debate would go:

Irish nationalism: 'Why don't we have a debate about what a future united Ireland might look like?'
Ulster unionism: >ES >jawdrop :shock: :banghead:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I thought the south gave up their claims to the north?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:I thought the south gave up their claims to the north?

Not SF though
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

It will happen as sure as death and taxes. I used to think not in my lifetime but not so sure any more.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

You will upset the GAWAs with all this norf and souf bollix
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:

Winds me right up that all dublin meedya seems unable to give the place its proper title

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:

Winds me right up that all dublin meedya seems unable to give the place its proper title

They're too polite to call it a vile statelet.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall