All Ireland Finals

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

All Ireland Finals

Post by Shan »

There probably wouldn't be a lot of interest here but a few might be interested in this.

Next Sunday we have the hurling which is between Clare v Cork. Very hard to call with both teams coming in with a lot of confidence having won their semi finals well. Of course I am supporting Clare so anybody that wishes to project any positive thoughts towards the banner county next weekend please feel free. We'll need all the help we can get.

We have the flag up in work which isn't too appealing to all the Limerick folk. Though I think on the day most of them would prefer Clare to win it than the langers. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Vy_ADJVmg

Then a couple of weeks later we have the football which is between Mayo and Dublin. After what was just a fantastic game yesterday in the semi where Dublin beat Kerry I hope the final can now live up to the expectations and it could so as both these teams really do want to play a great attacking style of football and have a lot of skill. I don't really mind who wins to be honest. Usually I'd go for the underdog when I don't have an emotional attachment but I really do like this Dublin team.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: All Ireland Finals

Post by Kofi Annan »

We have the flag up in work which isn't too appealing to all the Limerick folk
See you Irish and bloody flags, will be the ruin of a nation ,let me tell you.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well we haven't encountered any protest marches or riots about it yet. :D
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I dunno Shan this all-ireland has the same feel as the Portsmouth Cardiff FA cup final.
Great for the 2 sides in it but everyone else feeling the FA Cup's not what it used to be.
Like Ulster's HC they'll have to put an asterisk next to the winner.
Dammit just missed my hat-trick! Yee haa! >6shooter
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Actually Shan Clare were in the first ever match I was at (I was more fascinated by the woman in front of me with a clare paper hat on screaming her her head off than the game) and with my old man being from Cork the only games I ever got to go see were Cork ones. It was a hard life growing up with a Cork father when tipp were sh*te.

PS Actually it's come back to me that she was simultaneously screaming and eating from a tub of ice cream. That detail's been lurking in a corner of my brain unnoticed for a very very long time.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Well at least there will be a team from Ulster in an all Ireland final,wearing an all white strip with a red hand on the breast :red: ,good luck I say to them
That would be the minors,now not to be confused with the NUM,

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Tyrone-minors-thr ... 102d3bdb1d
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pythagoras wrote:I dunno Shan this all-ireland has the same feel as the Portsmouth Cardiff FA cup final.
Great for the 2 sides in it but everyone else feeling the FA Cup's not what it used to be.
Like Ulster's HC they'll have to put an asterisk next to the winner.
Dammit just missed my hat-trick! Yee haa! >6shooter
Yeah sure Cork have no heritage at all. I mean they've only won 30 All-Ireland's.

Get up the yard biy. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pythagoras wrote:Actually Shan Clare were in the first ever match I was at (I was more fascinated by the woman in front of me with a clare paper hat on screaming her her head off than the game) and with my old man being from Cork the only games I ever got to go see were Cork ones. It was a hard life growing up with a Cork father when tipp were sh*te.

PS Actually it's come back to me that she was simultaneously screaming and eating from a tub of ice cream. That detail's been lurking in a corner of my brain unnoticed for a very very long time.
Something similar to myself Py. My Da is from Limerick City so we always went to Limerick games and usually this seemed to be against Cork and that great minor final win against Kilkenny in 1984 in Thurles.

I joined Parteen GAA Club in the early 80's and saw my first Clare v Limerick game in our grounds at Lanahrone.

There's always a nice few lunatics at GAA games. Part of what makes it so great. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bootlaced wrote:Well at least there will be a team from Ulster in an all Ireland final,wearing an all white strip with a red hand on the breast :red: ,good luck I say to them
That would be the minors,now not to be confused with the NUM,

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Tyrone-minors-thr ... 102d3bdb1d
Also along with that Tyrone v Mayo Minor Football final you also have Clare v Antrim in the All-Ireland U21 Hurling Final on Sept 14th.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Shan
I like you but I could never support a team managed by that wee git (turned waterford into dirty feckers in '08 and look where that got them). Loughnane's Clare were dirty hoors too, Davy didn't get it from sucking grass.
As I've gotten older I've grown fonder of the land of my ancestors and very importantly JBM is a total gentleman, I say that from personal experience.
BTW Loughnane is half Cork, I knew a cousin of his, great guy though mad as a brush too!
Up the rebels!
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

wrong thread
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I have no time for that kn-b Davy Fitz. Can't stand him and never could.

Loughnane though was a great manager. Clare weren't dirty under him, they were just well able to compete with the physical teams which is something most of the smaller teams find difficult.

Davy was different though and just seems to be off his head but not in a good way. I remember the semi-final against Kilkenny in 2006 when that clown lost the head which cost us 1-2 and momentum. Think we had the beating of Kilkenny that day but him and his nonsense threw away any chance.

Loughnane is a bit mad but in a good way. I like Loughnane. He really loves the game and it is great to see him on the Sunday Game as he's never afraid to say what he thinks. Also has a good sense of humour. I also liked the fact he said he was decked out in the green and white in the Hill for Limerick's last All-Ireland win back in 1973. Always nice to support your neighbours and friends. Limerick should have won in 1980 as well, not to mention 1994 when they threw it away against Offaly. Twas sweet when Clare beat that Offaly team in the 1995 final.

Kilkenny are dirty but because of their skill refs and others are fooled into thinking they are not. I would say they are the dirtiest team of the 21st century. They are also the best team of that time.

However for undisguised filth you really have to go back a lot further. In the 80's you had some incredibly filthy players and teams. Galway were the worst as far as I remember and I am too nice to say who the other major one was of that time. :D
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Pity Anthony Daly isn't the manager.
You mentioned the 84 final, I was at it too.
It was Tipps 11th successive season without a championship victory IIRC.
I grew up on stories of great Tipp teams, the Hell's kitchen backline, 'hay saved and Cork bet'
"Kilkenny for the hurlers, Tipp for the men" but saw none of it.
Don't talk to me about pain boy!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pythagoras wrote:Pity Anthony Daly isn't the manager.
You mentioned the 84 final, I was at it too.
It was Tipps 11th successive season without a championship victory IIRC.
I grew up on stories of great Tipp teams, the Hell's kitchen backline, 'hay saved and Cork bet'
"Kilkenny for the hurlers, Tipp for the men" but saw none of it.
Don't talk to me about pain boy!
I hear ya. Tipp golden years were in the 60's. Phenomenal record then and before. 5 All Ireland's since 1970 is not the stuff of a home of hurling county. Kilkenny and Cork have moved ahead but it could change again.

Agree with you. Daly is a much more palatable individual.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Shan at the game?

Clare should have had this in the bag by now but two goals for Cork keeping them in the fight.

Flip another Cork penalty..just saved!