Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cricket season

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Nothing (transparently) against the NCU rules though, and if that's how they want to spend their money, there's plenty of players willing to take it.
That was my understanding too Grumps. Glad you agree that it is the one sponsor - who is mad about cricket - funding this and that there appears to be nothing contradictory to the NCU rules in what he is doing. Others would have you believe that the CIYMS club are rolling in cash and breaking competition rules to try to punch above their weight.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

There are several criticisms which have been laid against CI, Paul. some of these probably stem from jealosy at having a rich sugar daddy, others stem from the debate about whether professionals should even be in the NCU at all (yes, there is still that ongoing debate even after all these years), but mostly it is that some clubs put a lot of effort into developing youngsters, providing coaching etc and then get those players enticed away by richer or more successful clubs.

In CI's case, they tend to go for the more "established" player though looking for instant success - despite some big money having been spent in recent years that has elluded them though - much to the amusement of other clubs, and sometimes the players who have taken thier money and run (pardon the pun).

Another criticism is that buying in players is stifling development of young players at their own club.

It is up to each club to decide what way they want to run their club, but patently, CI are not winning themselves too many friends out there ...... except those who are willing to take Hughes' shilling.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I have to say that from my own observations at CI Cricket section the junior section has had a complete resurrection in the past few years - coincident with the injection of sponsor cash. Whether there is any link between this and the 1st XI gaining promotion to the Premier league or whether this is just a coincidence I have no idea but it would be hard to argue at this point that the bringing in of serious Pro players over the past few seasons has harmed the development of the youngsters. However the argument about whether bringing in these pros is good for the aspiring 1st XI players because they get to learn from the more experienced players or if it stifles them because they find their opportunities to play restricted is the same as goes on continually in Irish Rugby over the NIQs.
Paul.

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

The feeling i detect is that CI have done well to get lots of youngsters in, but those youngsters will have limited opportunity to play for the first XI while the policy of bringing in from outside remains. I know of one player they have recruited this season who has coached at his previous club for many years (and been paid for that coaching along with helping with groundsmanship) but he is being paid in excess of double what he got at his old club, but at CI will not be expected to coach or help with the ground, simply play (and occupy a place on the 1st XI that another club member might have won).

Interesting reading at HERE.

Early doors yet, but considering the dozens of clubs in the NCU, it is perhaps noteworthy that 30% of all transfers involve CI, with ALL big name players coming into the club, and none leaving ........ yet
I'm not arguing -
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

They could've been relegated last year and they are now many people's favourites to win the league this year. That does not happen overnight. Yes it's not against the rules but I still think it's unacceptable. Apparently 8 out of their first xi this year will be paid.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Early doors yet, but considering the dozens of clubs in the NCU, it is perhaps noteworthy that 30% of all transfers involve CI, with ALL big name players coming into the club, and none leaving ........ yet
.......and 25% of the transfers involved players coming to Lisburn. I recognaise what you're suggesting grumps. but as you say it is early doors and maybe this statistic also reflects that CI have completed all or most of their moves earlier thanother clubs.

To be honest I don't like to see a team pulling in a lot of experienced talent at the expense of the incumbent players but there has to be a balance. The experienced players should be guiding and developing the youngsters.

I'd be disappointed if what you say is true about players with coaching skills being brought in and paid with no expectation that they would also help coach and developeither the lower XIs or the youth section.
Paul.

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

gannonman wrote:Apparently 8 out of their first xi this year will be paid.
That's less than previously then - they ARE improving! :lol:
pwrmoore wrote:.......and 25% of the transfers involved players coming to Lisburn.
Point taken about Lisburn Paul, but massive difference in the calibre of players going there. Those are guys who are almost certainly going there for personal reasons, not ones that have been "recruited" and going for financial reasons. I wouldn't care to speculate but would imagine for starters that the two fine young brothers (50% of your cohort) are going there having conceded that they are unlikely to get regular 1st XI cricket at the village, not because Lisburn are throwing big bucks at them.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Anybody follow the IPL?

Used to think it was a bit of an abortion tbh, but I spent last spring in España with only a handful of English TV channels and got addicted to ITV4's afternoon coverage. Never mind the cricket - worth tuning in just to watch Shonali Nagrani. Check her out.

'mon the Mumbai Injuns!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Chaps
Point of order.

This is QF week and we must retain focus at all times............
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:Chaps
Point of order.

Don't want to peak too early Sniper. :lol:

Having to manage the excitement levels here. A bit of diversion in th'afternoons is probably a good thing.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Fair enough, just don't get all preoccupied............ it didn’t go well for Austria
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Chaps
Point of order.

Why?

Focus on what?

Match isn't until Sunday - what's the rush?

Oh, I see what you mean now - this is QF week, ergo, it's approaching Easter - we should be focused on The Passion - fair ennuf!
I'm not arguing -
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

big mervyn wrote:Anybody follow the IPL?

Used to think it was a bit of an abortion tbh, but I spent last spring in España with only a handful of English TV channels and got addicted to ITV4's afternoon coverage. Never mind the cricket - worth tuning in just to watch Shonali Nagrani. Check her out.

'mon the Mumbai Injuns!
That's just nine CIYMS's going at it Merv :lol:
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Just realised that the 1st Test agin the Windies at Lords coincides with the HC Final.

My flight back isn't until 20:45 on the Sunday. Wonder if I'd be fit for a day at the cricket?
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall