Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

gannonman
Steward

Cricket season

Post by gannonman »

Wondering if it is possible to start a cricket thread on this board. Not sure if we have enough members interested in cricket.

I know a lot of you think it is the most boring sport in the world but there is keen following in Northern Ireland and I for one love it! In local game last years struggler's CIYMS look set to be favourites to win the league this year as they have signed an astonishing 5 new players including former North Down all rounder Tamiur Khan and very popular former Ireland opening batsman Jeremy Bray as well as professional for Eglinton last year Ryan Butterworth and they have signed their own pro as well. Amazed at the money they have put into it. Waringstown will of course always be up their competing as well as North Down but Obus is not coming back to the Lawn as apparently he has an injury but is playing away in South Africa. New pro in from South Africa but no other new signings. The talent of both Hall's, Nelson and experience of McCallan and Bushe will make them a significant threat especially in the Cup. North Down have been surprisingly quiet on the move front but will be up there as usual again with a classy batting line up with Russell, Haire, Shields, Terrett etc. Instonians likewise with McCann, Shannon and a new pro on the way to. On the relegation front is looks extremely tight with two of Carrick, CSNI or Ballymena favourites to go down. All three sides have the ability to finish mid table. It will be a very exciting season in my opinion and I can't wait for it to start.

Ireland won their Twenty/20 qualifier with Scotland and look favourites to qualify. The game is rising here with the success of the National side and who knows in the distant future there could be a Test Match hosted in Belfast! :wink:
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cricket season

Post by Snipe Watson »

No
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I'd be up for that gannonman.

Not to well up on the local game tbh though I do keep an eye on Downpatrick.

More than happy to talk about Ireland, England and the wider international game. Much prefer Test cricket. It's the only sport where I support England though hopefully that will soon change - "England" is a bit bit of an historical misnomer really since any British Isles player has always been eligible to play for them and they have had captains from Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Cricket season

Post by Rooster »

brad pitt does this mean it will rain every Saturday from now to September ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Rooster. Yep it will. England have a big series starting next week Merv against Sri Lanka. Morgan dropped for it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

gannonman wrote:Rooster. Yep it will. England have a big series starting next week Merv against Sri Lanka. Morgan dropped for it.
Hard to justify keeping him in tbh.
Big focus on Swann and Panesar again although Vaas always managed to get the ball to swing a bit there.

England's #1 spot is under serious pressure now with a rampant SA winning the 2nd test in NZ.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Mods can we delete this thread please? What next a baseball/rounders thread. This site has gone to the dogs.

:wink:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote:Mods can we delete this thread please? What next a baseball/rounders thread. This site has gone to the dogs.

Hardly as bad as 700 odd posts about Man Ure.

What'd you do, during the summer back in the day, anyway?
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

big mervyn wrote:What'd you do, during the summer back in the day, anyway?
Don't know about Jackie but I watch re-runs of Lions tours from the past few years :thumright:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I didn't play cricket at school - sprinter/long jumper in the summer.

When I was at Uni a few of us were playing an informal game on the green at the Halls of Residence. We were approached by the Captain of the 1st XI who was short a couple of players due to summer exams. Upshot was, next morning I was down at Bradford University facing a couple of West Indian fast bowlers - luckily they were both crap and we were instead bowled out by a bespectacled white off-spinner :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

big mervyn wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Mods can we delete this thread please? What next a baseball/rounders thread. This site has gone to the dogs.

Hardly as bad as 700 odd posts about Man Ure.

What'd you do, during the summer back in the day, anyway?
Back in the day? Probably ran around with my mates and rode my bike. Nowadays it's spent in the garage.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

big mervyn wrote:
gannonman wrote:Rooster. Yep it will. England have a big series starting next week Merv against Sri Lanka. Morgan dropped for it.
Hard to justify keeping him in tbh.
Big focus on Swann and Panesar again although Vaas always managed to get the ball to swing a bit there.

England's #1 spot is under serious pressure now with a rampant SA winning the 2nd test in NZ.
Yes Swann and Panesar look like they have a partnership developing and it will be very interesting how they get on. They need Broad as he seems to be the main seamer to pick up wickets in non - bowler friendly conditions like Sri Lanka.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:
big mervyn wrote:What'd you do, during the summer back in the day, anyway?
Don't know about Jackie but I watch re-runs of Lions tours from the past few years :thumright:
Ridiculous waste of time ruck, Lions ................meh.

Watch something uplifting instead, like this
PrideUlster.jpg
PrideUlster.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 12879 times
Lions :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: watching good Ulstermen alongside scvm like Hartley? I'd rather watch a cricket match in the park than those chubes.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

does cricket not have it's own forum?
surely the masses of Saturday afternoon local cricket aficionados are plentiful enough to have their own version of the 'Yuff C', non?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Must admit i've never spent more than about 10 minutes at a time watching cricket at CIYMS but i can report than you get a great view of the cricket pitch from the outdoor bar balcony (only downside is that it's where the smokers tend to gather) where you can safely sit sipping a pint in a chair in the sun not having to worry about being hit by well struck cricket ball heading for a 6. So if CIYMS are doing well this year a few more pints may be consumed - and if the cricket is rubbish you can dander further on along the balcony and have a look down at the totty below playing tennis (6 courts)- best seen on hot sunny days, with a light brezze.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh