What makes you happy

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What makes you happy

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:How much of the path is open again?

I'm too old school to consider any of those new fangled additives to my Rinkha poke. A 99 is as adventurous as I get there. But I'm sure they need to change with the times and the new stuff would be very good.
Hard to describe really BR since I'd never been before but roughly speaking, 3 bridges worth. The whole thing including getting down to it is about a mile so not a huge length, still, it takes about two & a half to three hours as the guide talks a fair bit & I talk a lot as did a lady from Dublin. We even managed to squeeze in a mention of Nelson McCausland when the guide was trying to pass off obvious lies that the rocks were 50/60 million years old when you and I know they are only 6000. :duh:

On the ice cream, each to their own & usually I'd agree on the pleasures of a simple 99, but I do love fudge occasionally, indeed I hanker for the old days and the rum & raisin fudge that the Ormo Bakery used to make, on this occasion both fudge & ice cream were exceptional.

I started work in 1973 in Larne, moving slightly closer to civilisation in 1975 in Carrick before departing for Darry in 1978 and have rarely found any good reason to visit East Antrim in the interim, but I'd do a wee jaunt up there again just for the ice cream. >EW

I'm sure there are exceptions but can't recall a town with more ugly weemin than Carrickfergus, I wasn't all that gay at the time so can't recall if the males were gremlins also, but that and passing my driving test are my abiding memories of Carrick along with the Central Bar and Dobbins Inn Hotel.
I was in the Central a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time in decades. It's a spoons now. But as a nice nod to past, in the gents they have perfectly recreated the smell of the nearby subway under the Marine Highway, before (and quite possibly after) it was barricaded up in the mid 70s.

Women don't seem to have improved much either.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:How much of the path is open again?

I'm too old school to consider any of those new fangled additives to my Rinkha poke. A 99 is as adventurous as I get there. But I'm sure they need to change with the times and the new stuff would be very good.
Hard to describe really BR since I'd never been before but roughly speaking, 3 bridges worth. The whole thing including getting down to it is about a mile so not a huge length, still, it takes about two & a half to three hours as the guide talks a fair bit & I talk a lot as did a lady from Dublin. We even managed to squeeze in a mention of Nelson McCausland when the guide was trying to pass off obvious lies that the rocks were 50/60 million years old when you and I know they are only 6000. :duh:

On the ice cream, each to their own & usually I'd agree on the pleasures of a simple 99, but I do love fudge occasionally, indeed I hanker for the old days and the rum & raisin fudge that the Ormo Bakery used to make, on this occasion both fudge & ice cream were exceptional.

I started work in 1973 in Larne, moving slightly closer to civilisation in 1975 in Carrick before departing for Darry in 1978 and have rarely found any good reason to visit East Antrim in the interim, but I'd do a wee jaunt up there again just for the ice cream. >EW

I'm sure there are exceptions but can't recall a town with more ugly weemin than Carrickfergus, I wasn't all that gay at the time so can't recall if the males were gremlins also, but that and passing my driving test are my abiding memories of Carrick along with the Central Bar and Dobbins Inn Hotel.
I was in the Central a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time in decades. It's a spoons now. But as a nice nod to past, in the gents they have perfectly recreated the smell of the nearby subway under the Marine Highway, before (and quite possibly after) it was barricaded up in the mid 70s.

Women don't seem to have improved much either.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds spot on.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Would that be The Rinkha's ice cream, or Maud's which is produced in the industrial estate up Sloefield way?

Ballystrudder's finest, has always made me happy and comes with many fond childhood memories. I keep a mini fridge in my car solely for the transportation of Rinkha's finest from East Antrim to East Belfast. Their £6.75 tub fits perfectly in said fridge and keeps me in credit with my the Angel I married.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Tender wrote:Would that be The Rinkha's ice cream, or Maud's which is produced in the industrial estate up Sloefield way?

Ballystrudder's finest, has always made me happy and comes with many fond childhood memories. I keep a mini fridge in my car solely for the transportation of Rinkha's finest from East Antrim to East Belfast. Their £6.75 tub fits perfectly in said fridge and keeps me in credit with my the Angel I married.
Rinkha and Maud's are totally different beasts. (Technically Rinkha is 'verticle', iirc). Maud's (and I mean back in the Glenoe days) was all about innovation in flavours, additions, etc. That's what I mean when I say i'm old school when it comes to choosing my Rinkha ice-cream.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

When I leave this pimple on the ar$ehole of Europe and settle elsewhere, the Rinkha's ice cream, Hannon's beef, good Guinness and Tayto cheese'n'onion will be top of the list of things I know I'll miss.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

When I was a lad I used to visit a great uncle in Donaghadee. There was a wee shap that sold fantastic homemade icecream. Any suggestions as to the name? Is it still there? This is about 45 years ago.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ok, so Baggy visits the Rinkha and posts on here and one day later the Rinkha is closed...
Baggy, what the feck did you do?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:When I was a lad I used to visit a great uncle in Donaghadee. There was a wee shap that sold fantastic homemade icecream. Any suggestions as to the name? Is it still there? This is about 45 years ago.
The Cabin ? Was there a couple years ago
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The Cabin was still there last week..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

http://rugbylad.com/watch-confetti-expl ... ey-launch/

poor Johnny is getting as soft as Diack...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:When I was a lad I used to visit a great uncle in Donaghadee. There was a wee shap that sold fantastic homemade icecream. Any suggestions as to the name? Is it still there? This is about 45 years ago.
The Cabin ? Was there a couple years ago
That looks like the place. The oul boy lived in one of the big terraced houses overlooking the commons. Used to walk along the shore into the town and get ice cream.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:http://rugbylad.com/watch-confetti-expl ... ey-launch/

poor Johnny is getting as soft as Diack...
Can see it now

He's gone and given some random wee fella a bollocking for no reason
Then another wee fella
Then his agent has told him to go and lie down so he's bollocked him

Now he has a concussed himmy

Really is a plague on the game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

:lol:

Feck sake I'd say his relatives in the wilds of Kerry must be thinking of disowning him at this stage.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Filters

Activity Log

Mervyn became friends with Jesus

He sent me a friend request. Rude not to accept.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Vexillologically - challenged Shinners. :D

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.