The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Merv that is a yes and no

at the end of the four rounds it is the player with the lowest score who wins . He who plays the course and elements best .

Match play is of course a different game since your opponent can apply pressure and and a little gamesmanship by asking you to putt rather than concede a hole . Done at the right time it can induce the yips in the best of players .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Ron'n, I'm not the best player ever to play gowf, simply a very good player, I always found match play easy by comparison to stroke player, just one man to beat & both he and I knew he had little or no chance unless I played like an ape.

I never yipped a putt in my life but where you are correct is that a good match player will concede putts rather than allow a guy to become confident, some which may be well missable, then pick your moment when it matters, hopefully when the punter has a three footer with a tricky break from the left downhill, and you simply study the green whilst the guy awaits a concession, after all, you've given him longer. Then you see what he's made of. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So it looks like Rory is blaming his caddy then.

I used to always blame my clubs, although I didn't have a caddy (or a multi-million pound club sponsorship deal).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote:So it looks like Rory is blaming his caddy then.

I used to always blame my clubs, although I didn't have a caddy (or a multi-million pound club sponsorship deal).
Not much of a shock really. Rory and JP have been a good team, but JP never seemed to be forceful enough to steer Rory away from bad course management choices. I wondered when Jim MacKay parted company with Mickelson would there be an opportunity for Rory to go after him. Rory needs someone who will take a club out of his hand when necessary.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

What's have Belfast City Council got in common with the Masters.

The wee caddies they give you are brown.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

What a pleasure to listen to the venerable voice of golf Peter Alliss with the PGA back on the BBC.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:What a pleasure to listen to the venerable voice of golf Peter Alliss with the PGA back on the BBC.
Indeed it is Snipe, just a shame it took me so long to realise they had it...... on the bloody red button, SweetholymotheraJaysus. :roll: BBC, eh, get coverage of a major, put it on the fackin' red button.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:What a pleasure to listen to the venerable voice of golf Peter Alliss with the PGA back on the BBC.
Indeed it is Snipe, just a shame it took me so long to realise they had it...... on the bloody red button, SweetholymotheraJaysus. :roll: BBC, eh, get coverage of a major, put it on the fackin' red button.
Yes, it's beyond crazy.
Got the bats out myself today for the first time in a couple of years. Wasn't dreadful :lol: :lol:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

From 6pm on Friday, 7pm on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Matsuyama joint leader at -8. Rory 10 back. Day at -6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Rory McIlroy is all hype no substance. A big airy fart of a golfer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's bulked up too much...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Rory McIlroy is all hype no substance. A big airy fart of a golfer.

Exactly Jackie, and the fact that he has won more majors than all other golfers born in Norn Iron throughout recorded history should fool nobody. :thumleft: Well said.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Rory McIlroy is all hype no substance. A big airy fart of a golfer.

Exactly Jackie, and the fact that he has won more majors than all other golfers born in Norn Iron throughout recorded history should fool nobody. :thumleft: Well said.
Three? Hardly Tiger Woods.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Three? Hardly Tiger Woods.

Make that 4 Jackie, one more than the combined efforts of Fred Daly, Darren Clarke & Wee M'dooooooooooooooooowell put together, and one more than Padraig Harrington, making Rory the highest major winner from Ireland.

I don't think Rory is finished just yet either, Woods is a washout and was incredibly fortunate to be hot when he was as he had little or no serious competition, he was unquestionably excellent but it was a modest period for golf with a load of guys who might win one & disappear & guys like Monty who never really got the good fortune when it mattered and lost out to some chubes like steady eddie, Steve Elkington, a classic swing but never a major force who holed two giant putts to floor Monty. Currently, there is a shedload of potential winners out there with maybe a handful of really top players.

Never question me on golf Jackie, there is nothing about it I don't know. >EW :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rory has undoubted talent. However he also has one major flaw in his game and it looks like he is being frustrated by it which is making it harder to get out of this cycle of underperformance. Hard to believe he won't come good though and pick up more majors and other big tournament wins.

I think it unlikely we will get near Woods' total of majors though. Even ignoring the number of better players in opposition today I don't think he would get there and I don't think that is a bad thing. Woods was / is a robot. Rory presumably actually has some kind of personality and a life off the course which is not just about bedding everything that moves.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.