The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Rory can't play golf in the wind. He hits the ball too hard and too high so unless he is hitting out of the screws every time he's doomed when the wind blows.
Yeah, he only played on calm days at Holywood to get his handicap down to +5.4, obviously, his 61 on the Dunluce as a kid was also in flat calm as were his two "West" titles at Rosses Point, where a wind is as rare as the truth from JB Gibbes. :lol:

All that said, as I play with a very high ball flight myself, there may be a smidgeon in what you say
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Rory can't play golf in the wind. He hits the ball too hard and too high so unless he is hitting out of the screws every time he's doomed when the wind blows.
Yeah, he only played on calm days at Holywood to get his handicap down to +5.4, obviously, his 61 on the Dunluce as a kid was also in flat calm as were his two "West" titles at Rosses Point, where a wind is as rare as the truth from JB Gibbes. :lol:

All that said, as I play with a very high ball flight myself, there may be a smidgeon in what you say
It's basic physics. He said as much himself in his post second round interview.
10 shots better today with lower wind speeds.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What's he like with a wet ball?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dustin Johnson made a right ballix of it today but still in a tie for the lead. US Open is fierce. Leaders at +3. Justin Rose still has a good chance being just 1 off the lead.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:What's he like with a wet ball?
The golfers conundrum, playing with wet or dry balls. A lot depends on the ambient temperature of course.

Sniper, what most golfers say apres round is as reliable as JB Gibbes, late of this parish. So no, not ibasic physics, basic excuses.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Dave wrote:What's he like with a wet ball?
The golfers conundrum, playing with wet or dry balls. A lot depends on the ambient temperature of course.

Sniper, what most golfers say apres round is as reliable as JB Gibbes, late of this parish. So no, not ibasic physics, basic excuses.
Ok so the impact of wind strength, trajectory, flight apex, spin rate and hang time is not about physics. You could have fooled me.
By the way, he was talking about his Thursday problems round after Friday's round. Said he couldn't make himself start the ball far enough out over the rough.
No excuses at all, so away and stop talking through your hoop. :thumleft:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So he has a major flaw in his game that he is not able to solution. That's not good for a guy who wants to be the best.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
So he has a major flaw in his game that he is not able to solution. That's not good for a guy who wants to be the best.
It's not exactly a major flaw. If he's on top of his game and hitting the ball perfectly, it becomes a minor issue. It's when he's not in full control of the side spin on his ball that the wind plays havoc.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Great stuff from Tommy so far today.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ballyliffen looking good

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Sky just put up a stat. Rory is 207 in strokes gained putting on the European tour. He's 3 or 4 in all other categories.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Nice to see Padraig going well. Hopefully he can keep it going for the rest of the week.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:Nice to see Padraig going well. Hopefully he can keep it going for the rest of the week.
With his short game and fast running conditions, he just might.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Any picks for the week?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Any picks for the week?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Not McIlroy. Absolute dung.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?