Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by BaggyTrousers »

It appears to me that Mrs Maybot is playing a very dangerous game here.

She knows the deal has zero chance of getting through the Commons, she does not believe in a 2nd public vote (and I'm not convinced the English would change their vote significantly) so I suspect she is taking up time. I'd guess that she has assurances of a sort from Tusk that although the deal will not change, the EU will make some assurances around their equal dislike of the backstop. Then having wasted sufficient time, Maybot will then present a genuine binary choice, my deal or no deal as there will be no time for a referendum or election, and all but the terminally stupid understand that it's not just a hot to the economy that no deal would bring, it would also damage the Brits as a prospective trade partner who do not meet their commitments.

Very tricky to imagine any other scenario that would see her hold onto her job for a while.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:It appears to me that Mrs Maybot is playing a very dangerous game here.

She knows the deal has zero chance of getting through the Commons, she does not believe in a 2nd public vote (and I'm not convinced the English would change their vote significantly) so I suspect she is taking up time. I'd guess that she has assurances of a sort from Tusk that although the deal will not change, the EU will make some assurances around their equal dislike of the backstop. Then having wasted sufficient time, Maybot will then present a genuine binary choice, my deal or no deal as there will be no time for a referendum or election, and all but the terminally stupid understand that it's not just a hot to the economy that no deal would bring, it would also damage the Brits as a prospective trade partner who do not meet their commitments.

Very tricky to imagine any other scenario that would see her hold onto her job for a while.
I thought she was strong and stable?

Even your Harry Potter doll makes more sense...Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

My sources in Westminster indicated on Friday that a delay was likely, on the basis that a finite backstop period would probably be sufficient to get majority support.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:My sources in Westminster indicated on Friday that a delay was likely, on the basis that a finite backstop period would probably be sufficient to get majority support.
Now you tell us. :shock:

Very much doubt that is a runner, it would be a betrayal of the Bogtrotters by the 26 on behalf of the 28th. I think that all she will get will be weasel words suggesting nobody ever wants to see the backstop implemented and that all parties will make best efforts to ensure it never happens. Same deal, different words outside of the legal document. I could admittedly be wrong.

Either way, she is a disgrace, a lame-duck PM without honour, an aged harridan clinging to the office but a dead PM walking. Some respect her "stickability" but if that's all you've got it's not worth the steam off yer pish.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
justinr73 wrote:My sources in Westminster indicated on Friday that a delay was likely, on the basis that a finite backstop period would probably be sufficient to get majority support.

Very much doubt that is a runner, it would be a betrayal of the Bogtrotters by the 26 on behalf of the 28th. I think that all she will get will be weasel words suggesting nobody ever wants to see the backstop implemented and that all parties will make best efforts to ensure it never happens. Same deal, different words outside of the legal document. I could admittedly be wrong.

Either way, she is a disgrace, a lame-duck PM without honour, an aged harridan clinging to the office but a dead PM walking. Some respect her "stickability" but if that's all you've got it's not worth the steam off yer pish.
I think this is true and I think that it hasn't been highlighted enough by those backing May's deal. There are plenty within the EU who don't like the backstop. It offers the UK the benefits of single market access without the need to accept the '4 freedoms' , which the EU always maintained were non negotiable. If the British are worried about being trapped in the backstop, there is equal concern on the other side that the UK might just come to the realisation that the backstop is a very comfortable place to be and be in no hurry to leave it.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

promenader 2 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

I think this is true and I think that it hasn't been highlighted enough by those backing May's deal. There are plenty within the EU who don't like the backstop. It offers the UK the benefits of single market access without the need to accept the '4 freedoms' , which the EU always maintained were non negotiable. If the British are worried about being trapped in the backstop, there is equal concern on the other side that the UK might just come to the realisation that the backstop is a very comfortable place to be and be in no hurry to leave it.
I'd agree with that prom that the backstop could indeed be a very comfortable place. Though May cannot really publicise it at present as a selling point to the thick British public who unfortunately cannot work this out for themselves.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps this explains what she is at, keep it going to 21st Jan and she wins

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... /HCWS1110/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Surly a finite backstop kinda defeats the purpose of having one?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Surly a finite backstop kinda defeats the purpose of having one?

You'd think that might have occurred to them Jackie, but clearly not. It is a nonsense but doubtless, they will try to weave a layer of magic around it. Thing is, I can't see Doddsie buying that bullshite.

This just cannot end well.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Surly a finite backstop kinda defeats the purpose of having one?

You'd think that might have occurred to them Jackie, but clearly not. It is a nonsense but doubtless, they will try to weave a layer of magic around it. Thing is, I can't see Doddsie buying that bullshite.

This just cannot end well.
You make a deal with the devil. This Tory-DUP arrangement was always going to end in tears, for the former.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:Perhaps this explains what she is at, keep it going to 21st Jan and she wins

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... /HCWS1110/
Ya think? I doubt parliament will allow that to happen, I certainly hope not, though of course, it is what I suggested yesterday as the only possible scenario she can be thinking off with this feckin' nonsense.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I've missed the past couple of pages so, just in case no-one has said it recently, NO-ONE IN WESTMINSTER OR ANYWHERE ELSE HAS EVEN THE REMOTEST IDEA WHERE THINGS ARE GOING. NO-ONE. NOWHERE, NO IDEA.

But I'll still be in Ravers, guldering, on Friday evening. See y'all there.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Put a few quid on her getting a no confidence motion tomorrow afternoon.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

She couldn't find her way out if the car in Germany, not much chance of getting out of the fix she's in. She's going to meet "The Indian" tomorrow, I'd expect him to be polite, he seems mannerly.

You remember that Boristwat over with the DUPers a couple or three weeks back? Wonder did Boris get an agreement to vote for a hard BRexit from the DUPers should he perform a coup?

I am growing increasingly concerned that your collective futures will be in danger from a right-wing power grab by the BRexiteers via a hard BRexit. PM Johnson? PM Gove? Jesus tonight. :shock:

I'm beginning to think those expecting the only logical outcome is a second referendum..........well it may be logical but it could be further away than many seem to think.

By the way, yesterday's man, IDS is being a hateful little-englander with as much as not the slightest interest for the denizens of this vile little statelet never mind this septic isle. Horrid murderer of the disabled that he is.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

BaggyTrousers wrote:She couldn't find her way out if the car in Germany, not much chance of getting out of the fix she's in. She's going to meet "The Indian" tomorrow, I'd expect him to be polite, he seems mannerly.

You remember that Boristwat over with the DUPers a couple or three weeks back? Wonder did Boris get an agreement to vote for a hard BRexit from the DUPers should he perform a coup?

I am growing increasingly concerned that your collective futures will be in danger from a right-wing power grab by the BRexiteers via a hard BRexit. PM Johnson? PM Gove? Jesus tonight. :shock: .
I shudder at the thought Baggy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten