A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Then I have to ask Brother Rooster if his disdain of vegans comes from the profit motive or if he has genuinely met some appalling vegans who genuinely were too vile to live in this otherwise perfect world.
Nothing to do with profit, just most I have met contaminate the gene pool.

A wee funny true story though, friend of her indoors has a husband who is a very strict vegan, she got totally fed up trying to cook for him so he does his own cooking, she went and bought a new leather suite last year and it took him a few weeks before he could bring himself round to sitting on it to watch the TV.
Funny that Rooster, at one stage I had 2 vegans & a veggie in the house, try taking that lot to Spain and trying to get a restaurant that would allow them in. Like your wife's friend, we bought new furniture and I insisted I was buying a huge leather recliner, the rest of them looked on enviously as I took delight in whizzing the electric switch up & down. :lol: Those days are happily gone and all are righteous carnivores. Now I have to tell them bluntly to get out of my chair. >EW

Mind you, I'm glad I didn't take your advice and cull the 2 nippers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Then I have to ask Brother Rooster if his disdain of vegans comes from the profit motive or if he has genuinely met some appalling vegans who genuinely were too vile to live in this otherwise perfect world.
Nothing to do with profit, just most I have met contaminate the gene pool.

A wee funny true story though, friend of her indoors has a husband who is a very strict vegan, she got totally fed up trying to cook for him so he does his own cooking, she went and bought a new leather suite last year and it took him a few weeks before he could bring himself round to sitting on it to watch the TV.
Funny that Rooster, at one stage I had 2 vegans & a veggie in the house, try taking that lot to Spain and trying to get a restaurant that would allow them in. Like your wife's friend, we bought new furniture and I insisted I was buying a huge leather recliner, the rest of them looked on enviously as I took delight in whizzing the electric switch up & down. Image Those days are happily gone and all are righteous carnivores. Now I have to tell them bluntly to get out of my chair. >EW

Mind you, I'm glad I didn't take your advice and cull the 2 nippers. Image Image Image
They heard my advice and quickly changed their eating habits :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Just in case any god fearing ulstermen didn't get the memo on the 12th here is a little reminder as to why you should not use RIP on social media.
And they wonder why they are lampooned in the media.

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/1 ... ial_media/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

jean valjean wrote:Just in case any god fearing ulstermen didn't get the memo on the 12th here is a little reminder as to why you should not use RIP on social media.

Actually it makes sense. It is not a phrase I would use for similar, but different reasons.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

A fair number of taxis in Rawalpindi have RIP as the letters on their number plate. Having seen the driving, it seems strangely appropriate.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

BR wrote:
jean valjean wrote:Just in case any god fearing ulstermen didn't get the memo on the 12th here is a little reminder as to why you should not use RIP on social media.

Actually it makes sense. It is not a phrase I would use for similar, but different reasons.
Out of curiosity BR why would you not use it? I've never thought of it as anything other than a way of conveying sympathy.

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

jean valjean wrote:
BR wrote:

Out of curiosity BR why would you not use it? I've never thought of it as anything other than a way of conveying sympathy.

Well, like the author, I do not believe that praying/wishing or reciting an incantation is going to do much for the poor deed punter. (We differ greatly on the reason for that futility).

Any wishes I have to express on someone's death would normally be:

1) directed personally at the friends/family of the deceased. I find social media is rarely the place for such sentiment, but where it is, I feel it more appropriate to take the time to express my condolences in a more verbose style (a fault of mine, as you already will know).

2) broadcasting my sorrow of the death to the general population. Personal choice, but especially given my views on the finality of death, RIP seems inappropriate and almost glib and for me a social media post of :( is more in keeping (that probably seems more glib to some people, but it seems right to me). I suppose that is not really any different than adding '+1' to a condolence thread, but where I don't know the people personally, all I probably want to say is - "I am saddened to hear this".

Each to their own. And I'm sure the last thing a grieving family are concerned about, is how some dodgy bloke on the internet expresses his feelings.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Comedy gold. I hope my tax dollars keep funding this ridiculous shower as they continue to provide great entertainment value for money. Actually I think our Government should organise day trips to go and view them at close quarters. I like the History Channel but the one thing missing in it is comedy.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:

Comedy gold. I hope my tax dollars keep funding this ridiculous shower as they continue to provide great entertainment value for money. Actually I think our Government should organise day trips to go and view them at close quarters. I like the History Channel but the one thing missing in it is comedy.
But Shan, you will, inshallah, accept that there is a certain inappropriateness in using a religious blessing (for want of a better term) where it is at odds with your own religious views.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Hey Rooster, I'll probably regret asking this question but I see that esteemed minister for international trade, Liam Fox, says he is open to importing chlorinated chickens, hormone-fed beef and GM food from the US as part of a future trade deal.

What is a chlorinated chicken? Is there a swimming pool for chickens?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:Hey Rooster, I'll probably regret asking this question but I see that esteemed minister for international trade, Liam Fox, says he is open to importing chlorinated chickens, hormone-fed beef and GM food from the US as part of a future trade deal.

What is a chlorinated chicken? Is there a swimming pool for chickens?
Chlorinated chicken is where they wash the chicken carcases in a chlorine/bleach solution after the gutting and processing is done before it is wrapped, it kills the campylobacter and most other bugs and leaves it cleaner.
The problem with US food factories is they are seriously out of date and their hygiene is atrocious and unless they use such technology they would take the country down with food poisoning.
Their production standards are way below present UK and EU standards which are in turn below the general supermarket standards
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote: But Shan, you will, inshallah, accept that there is a certain inappropriateness in using a religious blessing (for want of a better term) where it is at odds with your own religious views.
Not really. I would use rest in peace because it has become a tradition. I don't care if its origins are in Catholic teaching and finding that out, assuming it is true, won't stop me using it. My view is that folk would be better off not dreaming up things to get upset about.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hey Rooster, is KFC bad?

#askroosteraboutchicken
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BR wrote: But Shan, you will, inshallah, accept that there is a certain inappropriateness in using a religious blessing (for want of a better term) where it is at odds with your own religious views.
Not really. I would use rest in peace because it has become a tradition. I don't care if its origins are in Catholic teaching and finding that out, assuming it is true, won't stop me using it. My view is that folk would be better off not dreaming up things to get upset about.
On the nail Shan, but it just gives a perfect insight into the small minded motherfu'ckers up here who bang on about their culture.

Like BR I don't tend to use RIP, mainly because it's a ludicrous notion to me, you're dead, you will never have a bad night sleep again in your entire death, tossing and turning just isn't going to happen. Yer leg is not suddenly going to develop St. Vitus's Dance aka Sydenham's Chorea aka irritating kunt who kicks the back of your chair repeatedly syndrome.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Sure but there's a lot of d!ckheads who go around gowlacting and causing damage to graves and I like to wish the dead, or more accurately those close to the dead, the hope that the remains can be left alone as much as possible. Obviously the worms and other diners are not included in the d!ckhead ranks. :D