What are you listening to?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

namron
Warrior Chief

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by namron »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Something like this Norm? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOa ... FBBD71EBE9

Been listening to him for the last half hour. :thumleft:
That's it BT awesome talent. Didn't make it globally but who cares it's their loss. Saw him live numerous times and some great gigs... some not so good when He was the worse for wear. There was one gig however at Queens Mandela hall about 15 years ago that was sublime. He forsook the acoustic and just went wild on the Gibson SG ...Wow
I now know you have exquisite taste in music :salut: and yes I do look like norm from cheers albeit slightly slimmer with less hair on the crown area. No grass grows on a busy thoroughfare as my oul lad used to say. He looked like Yul Brynners big brother.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

Thinking Of A Place by The War On Drugs, nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

namron wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Something like this Norm? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOa ... FBBD71EBE9

Been listening to him for the last half hour. :thumleft:
That's it BT awesome talent. Didn't make it globally but who cares it's their loss. Saw him live numerous times and some great gigs... some not so good when He was the worse for wear. There was one gig however at Queens Mandela hall about 15 years ago that was sublime. He forsook the acoustic and just went wild on the Gibson SG ...Wow
I now know you have exquisite taste in music :salut: and yes I do look like norm from cheers albeit slightly slimmer with less hair on the crown area. No grass grows on a busy thoroughfare as my oul lad used to say. He looked like Yul Brynners big brother.
A short back & shine is my preferred cut Norm. Seriously hooked on JM having not listened for a while, listened to Solid Air album yesterday in a quiet hour, fantastic.

Saw him at QUB a couple of times in the eighties, couldn't believe what he could do with a guitar, there was nobody remotely similar. Great big softie who reflected his joys and pain through his very personal lyrics. Just loved his music to the end playing in a wheelchair after an amputation.

Not the same thing of course, but I bought a sort of tribute album that came out a few years after he died, with about 30+ people playing JM songs, called "Johnie Boy Would Love This". Some very good ones amongst the generality of thinking "nice, but you're not John Martyn". >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cris Cornell RIP:

https://youtu.be/AwpvBTb_mm0

https://youtu.be/-kTtdS1JpZo

One of the best singers and frontmen of his or any generation
Exterminate all rational thought
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Spotted these guys, Post Modern Juke Box, on youtube. If you like jazz or swing covers of the latest stuff then this is worth a visit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
moyletra
Novice

Post by moyletra »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Spotted these guys, Post Modern Juke Box, on youtube. If you like jazz or swing covers of the latest stuff then this is worth a visit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk
Played Queens SU last year. An excellent gig.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Captain Beefheart.

Got wan o them Amazon Echos - great for revisiting stuff like that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Belfast guitar festival last night. Wonderful eclectic mix of acoustic and electric headlined by the awesome Pat McManus. He's gigging at the Woodstock festival in a couple of weeks and again in the Empire in September. Well worth checking him out - as good or better as ever.

Down to Blanchflower playing field this afternoon for 9 hours of hard rock and blues. Always a feast or a famine in this country
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sipping some rye whiskey in memory of Glen Campbell.

Never saw him live and don't know if he liked rye or not but it seems appropriate.

Not many of these fellas left now.

Willie is 84 - who else is there?

Saw Kenny Rogers before Chrimbo as he bid farewell.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Funny I should come along not long afterwards Justin, also having supped full & well. Sitting in Spain with the lovely Mrs T, we had a crackin' BBQ & a wee swally and thought "music night". Listening to a tribute album to the great John Martyn one of if not my greatest favourite.

I love John Smith's version of JM's "walk on the water" and then listened to Lisa Hannigan's version of "Couldn't love you more" which sounds obvious but means more to me & Mrs T than I am willing to go into here.

Started listening to some of Lisa Hannigan's songs and she is amazingly talented. Anyone who can write these lyrics has my undying respect:

When the time comes,
And rights have been read,
I think of you often
But for once I meant what I said.
Here I stay, I lay me down,
I'm dug from the rubble, and cut from the kill.
In a house by the Hill.

Maybe you need to listen to the song to understand them. Quality.

For something lighter from Lisa, the video is a bit of craic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYdPtcx-4mo

For lovers of a bloody great sing/songwriter, John Smith is in the Black Box on 18th September, I'm going.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Funny I should come along not long afterwards Justin, also having supped full & well. Sitting in Spain with the lovely Mrs T, we had a crackin' BBQ & a wee swally and thought "music night". Listening to a tribute album to the great John Martyn one of if not my greatest favourite.

I love John Smith's version of JM's "walk on the water" and then listened to Lisa Hannigan's version of "Couldn't love you more" which sounds obvious but means more to me & Mrs T than I am willing to go into here.

Started listening to some of Lisa Hannigan's songs and she is amazingly talented. Anyone who can write these lyrics has my undying respect:

When the time comes,
And rights have been read,
I think of you often
But for once I meant what I said.
In a house by the Hill.

Maybe you need to listen to the song to understand them. Quality.

For something lighter from Lisa, the video is a bit of craic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYdPtcx-4mo

For lovers of a bloody great sing/songwriter, John Smith is in the Black Box on 18th September, I'm going.
Lisa is playing the Heaney Centre in Bellaghy next month. Got tickets, can't wait.

Great wee venue, saw Glen Hansard there last year and Lisa O'Neill a few months ago.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sounds good Hairy, I know she has done a few qunes with Hansard, more with Damian Rice.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Sounds good Hairy, I know she has done a few qunes with Hansard, more with Damian Rice.
You are correct, Mr. Trousers.

Foy Vance in Custom House Square tomorrow - in the immortal words of Borat: "I VERY EXCITE"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Stranglers (minus Hugh Cornwell) and SLF at CHSQ last night. Both excellent.

Surprised at how many Engerlish people had come over to hear SLF play in Belfast.
Big Neville Southall
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

anyone ever listen to Tina Turner signing Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin? worth a listen although nothing comes close to Plant on his day..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU