Rugby Player Watch

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rugby Player Watch

Post by BaggyTrousers »

There you go Jizzbag. You start a decent thread and the goons turn it into shyte. Yes I did take you up wrongly, now I feel dirty for praising an English player. If only you had used the correct punctuation we could have avoided all this.

Bloody young people these days sneer at punctuation but it is essential, just imagine how your grandmother would fel:

Let's eat grandma.
Let's eat, grandma.

I rest my case.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dylan Hartley watch. Bit crap but very easy to wind up.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:There you go Jizzbag. You start a decent thread and the goons turn it into shyte. Yes I did take you up wrongly, now I feel dirty for praising an English player. If only you had used the correct punctuation we could have avoided all this.

Bloody young people these days sneer at punctuation but it is essential, just imagine how your grandmother would fel:

Let's eat grandma.
Let's eat, grandma.

I rest my case.
Ha Bagster I' knew it would be my fault just like the wife.
I'd like to get the opportunity to player watch Tipuric but doubt I'll get the chance this tour..

I'll probably just do Warbuton again just to compare my findings.
Can't see Gets dropping him though but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they go over player reviews on a Monday.
Or does he get a pass on that?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

PS Richard Hill is one of the few accepted English players you are allowed to publicly praise..
David Duckham.being the other.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta wrote:Ulster next season:.....

Those leaving (or no further contract) are:
Allan Clarke, Neil Doak, Ruan Pienaar, Roger Wilson, Franco V D Merwe, Dan Tuohy, Angus Lloyd, Sam Windsor, Ricky Lutton, Callum Black, Steven Mulholland, John Donnan, Conor Joyce, Mark Best, Lorcan Dow, Johnny Murphy.

Those arriving:
Jonno Gibbes, Dwayne Peel, Aaron Dundon, Schalck V D Merwe, Jean Deysel, John Cooney.

Academy:
R Butler, P Cooper, A Clarke (different person), A Curtis, M Dalton, J Dunleavy, A Hall, J Hume, G Jones, M Lowry, J McCusker, A McBurney, Z McCall, E O'Sullivan, T O'Toole, Marcus Rea, J Regan, J Stewart, N Timoney.

Underlined are coaches!
Smaller squad and potentially 4 extra matches, what can possibly go wrong !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:

Allan Clarke, Neil Doak, Ruan Pienaar, Roger Wilson, Franco V D Merwe, Dan Tuohy, Angus Lloyd, Sam Windsor, Ricky Lutton, Callum Black, Steven Mulholland, John Donnan, Conor Joyce, Mark Best, Lorcan Dow, Johnny Murphy.

Those arriving:
Jonno Gibbes, Dwayne Peel, Aaron Dundon, Schalck V D Merwe, Jean Deysel, John Cooney.

Academy:
R Butler, P Cooper, A Clarke (different person), A Curtis, M Dalton, J Dunleavy, A Hall, J Hume, G Jones, M Lowry, J McCusker, A McBurney, Z McCall, E O'Sullivan, T O'Toole, Marcus Rea, J Regan, J Stewart, N Timoney.

Underlined are coaches!
Is O'Hagan promoted to the first team?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Those arriving:

Academy:

Underlined are coaches!
Is O'Hagan promoted to the first team?
Depends on what Jonno says after he locks Les in the boot cupboard
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote:Hello and welcome to a new edition of player watch, this week featuring the much maligned British and Irish Lions captain Sam Warbuton.
I had to rewatch the second test again as I couldn't remember much about it so armed with my sky remote I decided to watch the game with a view to seeing exactly what this Welsh legend brings to the table.
Also learned how little time the ball spends in play.

Here are his stats.
7 tackles 1 missed.( where espn found another 3 from God knows).
0 turnovers
1 carry for 0 yards.
3 lineout wins 1 lost.

Considering he had no opposite number for most of the game not great stats.
However stats don't always tell the true story as Baggy will tell you.

The good stuff was his lineout work and driving play in general is very polished and first class.
He made 3 quality assisted gain line hits which completely halted the All Blacks from first phase.

However he goes missing during phase play.
In 8 Lions attacking phases and in 6 All Blacks ones he literally did nothing.
No rucks hit, tackles, carrys nothing because he was late to every situation.
His contribution was virtually nil for the last 15 or so minutes.

I should point out SOB was phenomenal and to the fore.
George and Itoje weren't too far behind.
Didn't have to actually look for them at any stage as with Warbuton.

Warbuton however spends most of the game looking busy doing nothing.
He is the beneficiary of the myth if you don't see him he must be doing something like Richard Hill used to do.
I really wanted to believe what others were telling me that he slows up oppositon ball.
That simply wasn't the case and at best he was a mild nuisance.

Literally he offers slightly more than Clive Ross does only one is a double Lions captain and the other very much isn't.
Best opening post on a thread on UAFC I have read in a long time. Good man Bazza. Pity it has been dragged off down to a discussion about Ulster. Still at least the insularity is consistent and a source of some comfort for that reason. :D

You basically nailed it completely. I didn't have the stats or the second viewing but your general thrust is in line with what I saw throughout the game. Of course none of this will matter when selection is made for the third test. SOB will probably be blamed next week when the inevitable demolition job is done by the NZ back row as he won't be able to do Warburton's job as well as his own.

The only nuisance factor about Warburton is that he is in NZ at all.

Any chance of a player watch in relation to Sinckler. Seems to be a bit of a thug with no appreciation for the traditions in this game. Now I am not President of the etiquette school but still there are certain minimum standards of conduct which should be adhered to. Even Owen Farrell knows that. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:PS Richard Hill is one of the few accepted English players you are allowed to publicly praise..
Never liked David Duckham .....

.... nothing personal and not even because he was English, but because he was actually such a good player and seemed (to me) to always excel against Ireland. He maybe even didn't play against Ireland that often, I don't know, but that's my memory of how it was, way back yonder.

Am I allowed to praise him but not like him?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bazzaj wrote:PS Richard Hill is one of the few accepted English players you are allowed to publicly praise..

.... nothing personal and not even because he was English, but because he was actually such a good player and seemed (to me) to always excel against Ireland. He maybe even didn't play against Ireland that often, I don't know, but that's my memory of how it was, way back yonder.

Played 7 times against Ireland and lost on 5 occasions. 1 try.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Played 7 times against Ireland and lost on 5 occasions. 1 try.
The Duckham Watch is a good one. Very sleek and classy movement that doesn't need oiled.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Shan wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Hello and welcome to a new edition of player watch, this week featuring the much maligned British and Irish Lions captain Sam Warbuton.
I had to rewatch the second test again as I couldn't remember much about it so armed with my sky remote I decided to watch the game with a view to seeing exactly what this Welsh legend brings to the table.
Also learned how little time the ball spends in play.

Here are his stats.
7 tackles 1 missed.( where espn found another 3 from God knows).
0 turnovers
1 carry for 0 yards.
3 lineout wins 1 lost.

Considering he had no opposite number for most of the game not great stats.
However stats don't always tell the true story as Baggy will tell you.

The good stuff was his lineout work and driving play in general is very polished and first class.
He made 3 quality assisted gain line hits which completely halted the All Blacks from first phase.

However he goes missing during phase play.
In 8 Lions attacking phases and in 6 All Blacks ones he literally did nothing.
No rucks hit, tackles, carrys nothing because he was late to every situation.
His contribution was virtually nil for the last 15 or so minutes.

I should point out SOB was phenomenal and to the fore.
George and Itoje weren't too far behind.
Didn't have to actually look for them at any stage as with Warbuton.

Warbuton however spends most of the game looking busy doing nothing.
He is the beneficiary of the myth if you don't see him he must be doing something like Richard Hill used to do.
I really wanted to believe what others were telling me that he slows up oppositon ball.
That simply wasn't the case and at best he was a mild nuisance.

Literally he offers slightly more than Clive Ross does only one is a double Lions captain and the other very much isn't.
Best opening post on a thread on UAFC I have read in a long time. Good man Bazza. Pity it has been dragged off down to a discussion about Ulster. Still at least the insularity is consistent and a source of some comfort for that reason. :D

You basically nailed it completely. I didn't have the stats or the second viewing but your general thrust is in line with what I saw throughout the game. Of course none of this will matter when selection is made for the third test. SOB will probably be blamed next week when the inevitable demolition job is done by the NZ back row as he won't be able to do Warburton's job as well as his own.

The only nuisance factor about Warburton is that he is in NZ at all.

Any chance of a player watch in relation to Sinckler. Seems to be a bit of a thug with no appreciation for the traditions in this game. Now I am not President of the etiquette school but still there are certain minimum standards of conduct which should be adhered to. Even Owen Farrell knows that. :D
Cheers for the kind words Shan.
Think Sinckler watch should be fairly easy as he doesn't play for long and the stuff he does is fairly obvious but happy to obligue.
Its a point that player watch can almost exclusively apply to forwards as backs work is all very obvious.
Be interesting to have done this to a few Ulster forwards in the past just to see exactly what they do.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Interesting analysis Baz. I really can't fathom Warburton's inclusion let alone choice as captain... Oh wait, he's Welsh.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Cheers shammers.
Not sure it's just a Welsh thing as Tipuric is Welsh and no-one I know or on here would have a problem with his inclusion.
I think Gatland almost feels a debt to those who have done the business for him in the past.
AWJ, Halfpenny. Warbuton, Lydiate to name but a few.

However the one Welsh player that deserves to be there is Davies.
He used to be a defensive liability as he was a shooter but I think he learned a lot off BOD in the last tour.

His defensive and attacking options have been exemplary so far after an outstanding tour to Australia in 2013.
Integral for the Scarlets pro12 win this season too with his attacking flair.

Says a lot that he has come back from his kicking error v England this season that cost the game.
He is no frills gets on with his job and probably now one of the first names on everyone's lions team sheet despite never really getting the credit he deserves..

I can't remember too many centres who travel to New Zealand and don't get out performed and aren't considered world class but you could say he's even out performed them up until now.
As with SOB another good performance in the last test could cement his reputation.

This really totally feels like I have delivered the kiss of death for him now though.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

bazzaj wrote:Cheers shammers.
Not sure it's just a Welsh thing as Tipuric is Welsh and no-one I know or on here would have a problem with his inclusion.
I think Gatland almost feels a debt to those who have done the business for him in the past.
AWJ, Halfpenny. Warbuton, Lydiate to name but a few.

However the one Welsh player that deserves to be there is Davies.
He used to be a defensive liability as he was a shooter but I think he learned a lot off BOD in the last tour.

His defensive and attacking options have been exemplary so far after an outstanding tour to Australia in 2013.
Integral for the Scarlets pro12 win this season too with his attacking flair.

Says a lot that he has come back from his kicking error v England this season that cost the game.
He is no frills gets on with his job and probably now one of the first names on everyone's lions team sheet despite never really getting the credit he deserves..

I can't remember too many centres who travel to New Zealand and don't get out performed and aren't considered world class but you could say he's even out performed them up until now.
As with SOB another good performance in the last test could cement his reputation.

This really totally feels like I have delivered the kiss of death for him now though.
Agree on Davis. Have always rated him and has a great turn of pace for a chunky lad. Our lukey should be a similar player for us, but seems to be missing something, perhaps decent coaching.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk