Ireland u20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland u20s

Post by Snipe Watson »

If only there were someone who could teach young master Stewart how to box kick....
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:If only there were someone who could teach young master Stewart how to box kick....
p?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:If only there were someone who could teach young master Stewart how to box kick....
p?
Kieran Campbell
Dwayne Peel
Nigel Brady
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
p?
Peel?

Well it should be. It was the same issue when Stewart was charged down playing for Ulster. He had no pillars. You always see Ruan barking at forwards to stand where he wants before he attempts a box kick. You have to wonder what the hell Peel is at or does Stewart not listen?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
p?
Peel?

Well it should be. It was the same issue when Stewart was charged down playing for Ulster. He had no pillars. You always see Ruan barking at forwards to stand where he wants before he attempts a box kick. You have to wonder what the hell Peel is at or does Stewart not listen?
You do have to wonder is Stewart really up to it at U20 level never mind PRO14 level, does not seem to have that terrier instinct where he should order forwards around and take control of the breakdown rather than just dig out the ball and hope for the best in getting rid of it.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

I agree with Dave and UlsterNo9's assessments of the performances. I thought in general the Irish performance was frustrating - really slow start, very disjointed-looking, but despite that for the first 50-55 minutes we actually totally dominated territory and possession, but kept losing momentum through handling errors or turnovers at crucial times. Really with a fair wind we could have been 10-15 points further ahead, and would have had a good chance of holding out, as it was when the front row subs came on our scrum went to pot and I think our heads dropped..

Was impressed by Dunleavy, good work rate and willing carrier in traffic, Agnew started off with a brilliant poach (along with the 2) but didn't really get over the ball much after that, although he played pretty well. We haven't produced a 7 like him for a long time - my only query would be if he is big enough? He's solid but looks very small out there, what height would he be 5'10"? 5'11"? And I thought Hall looked solid when he came on.

Hume looked pretty good, he was used to hit up but also to distribute, and threw a few nice looking passes from 12. I think I fancy him more at 13 (although O'Brien is a smashing player so I understand why they want him there now)

Stewart didn't have a great day.. 7 point head start to saffas was exactly what we didn't need, and some of his decision-making was a bit questionable I thought
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
p?
Peel?

You do have to wonder is Stewart really up to it at U20 level never mind PRO14 level, does not seem to have that terrier instinct where he should order forwards around and take control of the breakdown rather than just dig out the ball and hope for the best in getting rid of it.
The one thing that occurs to me about U-20 scrum-halfs, does anyone remember when Marmion was U20 level? I remember he looked crap, really slow and laborious, decision-making suspect, nobody could figure out why they kept starting him - I remember being surprised when Connacht snapped him up, but within a couple of years he was a cracking player. (And actually going back another few years, Paul O'Donohoe looked brilliant for the U20s, but then went nowhere at Leinster and then Connacht and packed it in..) So I guess we may hope that Stewart is a case of the former rather than the latter..

(just me or does he look like a miniature Roger Wilson??)
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This is a very poor u20 side. Losing 24-8 to Georgia.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Georgia win their first ever pool match.
JET Stream
Novice

Post by JET Stream »

Dave wrote:Georgia win their first ever pool match.
Well deserved. Ireland poor. Apart from the number 8 Doris who had another superb game. EIR sport commentary team would make you stop watching rugby

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

JET Stream wrote:
Well deserved. Ireland poor. Apart from the number 8 Doris who had another superb game. EIR sport commentary team would make you stop watching rugby

Agreed. Doris will go right to the top. He looks to be a top class no. 8. He has pace, power, great hands and loves an offload.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
JET Stream wrote:

Agreed. Doris will go right to the top. He looks to be a top class no. 8. He has pace, power, great hands and loves an offload.
Hope we are at least talking to him.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:
JET Stream wrote:

Hope we are at least talking to him.

Hope so too
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ireland’s next game is v Scotland on Tuesday at 3pm. They are in the 9th-12th bracket. The other game in it is Georgia v Japan.

12th place is relegated and drops into the World Trophy next year.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Didn’t see the first half

Irish scrum — weak but Georgia tight head bored well and successfully.

How Ireland lost is a bit of a mystery to be honest because bar the set scrum Georgia didn’t really feature as a team but did have a couple of big lads who could carry and defend.

Re Stuart and box kicks it’s not just a lack of guards on the fringe of the ruck that is the trouble .

The ball is to far in front of the foot which means he kicks flat and low rather than up on song Murray has one of the best box kicks at the moment high and relatively short and contestable .

Not a vintage year for U20 -
Front rows average at best and the same could be said of the half backs .

But they were in a tough group and not good enough to win but not disgraced in any their games .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist