Team of the Tournament

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team of the Tournament

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:Interesting so many have picked read. I thought he's been very average. Pocock by a mile.

It should be very very obvious that you would return Pocock to 7 on a dumbass team selection such as this. :red:

They'd go well with Peter O'Mahony at 6.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
againstthehead wrote:Interesting so many have picked read. I thought he's been very average. Pocock by a mile.

It should be very very obvious that you would return Pocock to 7 on a dumbass team selection such as this. :red:

It's funny how much better Pocock is than Hooper
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

It's funny how much better Pocock is than Hooper
Quite remarkable that Hooper was selected ahead of him, then again, he was on the way back from injury. He's a monster of a player. Then again, for many years I've considered Read the foremost player on the planet. I'll have both please.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Lukie is bound to be a great 7
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:Lukie is bound to be a great 7
Don't give run ideas or he'll be calling for Marshall to play 7
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I was hoping to establish a back 3 by now but we have lept to back row.
I will go with my back 3 and Russ' s centre combination of Nonu and Giteau.

Halfbacks then I will suggest Biggar who has been a revelation and Du Preez just ahead of Gareth Davies and Laidlaw both of whom were excellent.

Just halfbacks!
See how it works.
Jupiter's c0ck!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Interesting , you are not deemed world class unless you play tier 1 rugby :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:I was hoping to establish a back 3 by now but we have lept to back row.

Halfbacks then I will suggest Biggar who has been a revelation and Du Preez just ahead of Gareth Davies and Laidlaw both of whom were excellent.

Just halfbacks!
See how it works.
Jupiter's c0ck!
Biggar? The boy can wiggle and kick but little else

Sanchez was a revelation

Toyed with Aaron Smith but wee Greg has been exceptional
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Interesting , you are not deemed world class unless you play tier 1 rugby :roll:

At 10 I'd have Sammy Umbongo from the Belgian Congo, he stole our milk once, put having been a missionary to Africa I try to be forgiving of the natives, they too are Gods childer.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Probably go pocock and Hooper. Possibly sob as he smoked the frenchies. Shame he missed the pumas game. Warburton played decent too. Read due a big game though as is Aaron Smith who was in incredible form earlier in the year. I'd expect the team to change a bit after this weekend....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Russ wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I was hoping to establish a back 3 by now but we have lept to back row.

Just halfbacks!
See how it works.
Jupiter's c0ck!
Biggar? The boy can wiggle and kick but little else

Sanchez was a revelation

Toyed with Aaron Smith but wee Greg has been exceptional
Theres that other thing in rugby Russ which is tackling and Biggar put his body on the line
He also organised his defence brilliantly with a makeshift back line and continually performed under pressure.
He couldn't really get his back line moving because he didn't have one but always kept his team going forward with his tactical nouse.
Bear in mind he had a 90% goal kicking ratio despite not being a first choice kicker coming into the tournament and most of those were pressure kicks which the stats don't show.
Also he didn't throw any intercept passes for scores which gives him the nod over Sanchez for me.

For similar reasons Gareth Davies would have to be considered at 9 coming in as a second choice and scoring 4 crucial tries.
Laidlaw was also superb for Scotland with his kicking and leadership.

However its Du Preez for me, who was brought on to start every game after that Japan defeat and was soley responsible for their change in fortunes.
Brought in organisation, control and tactical know how they had lacked and took the decision making pressure off Pollard.
Total master class that took them to a whisker of the final as well as scoring the decisive try v Wales in the quarters.
Not bad considering hes almost 34 and semi retired in Japan.

Aaron Smith hasn't scored since the opening game which is surprising given the arm chair ride he has had.
Not always a requirement but considering what the others have done that I have mentioned it puts him down the list.
Having just said that makes him a cert to score in the final.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Russ wrote:Keet ....
Oh yeah that Keet Sonnybillwilliams dude
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Deraless wrote:
Russ wrote:Keet ....
Oh yeah that Keet Sonnybillwilliams dude
In all seriousness he is listed by espn as the top performing 13 of the world cup
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Lies, damned lies and statistics
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Biggar at 10 then and give Russ Laidlaw at 9 as our halfbacks

Backrow- Pocock nailed as 8

7- I would go Warburton who out played both Burger and Hooper at the break down and conducted himself with his usual dignity off field refusing to lament the Welsh injuries at any point.

6 -People who suggest POM or Burger can't have watched Japan play.
Head and shoulders best 6 in the tournament was Leitch their skipper.
Even merits it alone for his decision to call a group hug then kick to the corner for the last play against South Africa, which would simultaneously lead to Englands elimination as Robshaw copied him.
He should also captain this team.

Further.note Japan would have qualified if they hadn't been totally stiched up by a four day turnaround v Scotland.
That should never be allowed to happen.
Last edited by bazzaj on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.