Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Henderson

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
nonplussed wrote:Think Murphy and Fitzgerald may have played themselves out of selection. Earls played well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But what backrower would replace Murphy at this stage with TOD already out? Murphy can play all three positions, but is not outstanding in any of them. Someone like Dominic Ryan might have been useful on the squad. Conan is not ready for the RWC. Still think Ireland are missing a trick by not playing Henderson at 6 in a warmup game for a bit of bulk and dog in the backrow.
I hope you are right about Fitz - but Joe seems to like him for some unknown reason.
NO Spiffer he certainly can't, somebody can hand him a 7 shirt but no matter how tight, he'll never fill it. He doesn't strike me as an 8 either I have to say, to lightweight. Heaslip is a relative lightweight for an 8, but he has an ability to cover ground that would make most 7s blush. And 6? Well, he's well down the rankings.

The truth is Murphy is a decent player, but he is no more a great player than Quiff, he just provides a versatile option, the New Quiff but not as annoying.

Let me educate the class. Anyone remember Ireland scoring tries for fun against Wales a few weeks back? Guess what the difference was? Go on, tell me. No?

OK here it is, Ireland had a 12 & 13 who can not only score tries themselves but they can both pass a ball. Then you play a Scotland team, worse by a distance than that Welsh selection & you stick D'Arcy at 12 whammo, you have a backline that doesn't move their legs never mind the ball. Stuck in treacle. Today? A guy at 13 who is clueless, there was never any prospect of Ireland moving the ball barring the telegraphed Sexton loop. Fitzgerald had no idea either where he was or the ball was for most of the game.

I question FibberJoe, I question why do you spurn two full warm up matches by making selections that simply mean you have no option to use your backline for anything but kick chasing & today both the kicking & chasing was distinctly average, despite Dave Kearney's best efforts.

I'm not bothered that Sexton was rusty, I am bothered that there has been not a hint of the backs playing rugby since Cardiff, Ireland might just conceivably top the group playing boring conservative kick & chase, SA won the thing in 2007 playing kick & chase against England playing bish & bosh. Ireland should have ambition to be better than quarterfinalists but I doubt that will happen if this is the approach.

Next week, I expect Engand to bludgeon & run rings round Ireland, a chastening experience awaits, you simply can't switch it on & off & Ireland today were lucky even to get within a TMO shout of winning, they deserved nothing from a dismal dismal display.
Agree, think Ireland will get their arris handed to them.
Cave/ earls worked well, as they''d played together before in the same positions at U20 level. Keet looked decent with Dc inside. That's the beauty of DC, sadly. This seems obvious back up to 12/13 starting with Henshaw and Payne. Cave has therefore played with Keet and Payne in dual positions that WORK . Seems obvious to take both, with Earls also a useful winger. Cave a better 12 than Madigan and 13 than Payne. But I fear Lukewarm will go. Really sad for Caveman #facedoesn't fit.

I've developed a sneaking regard for Keet tbf. Ballsy wee git, even if thick. If DC doesn't make it, hope he does. Darwin forbid its Luke. Shyte on a stick.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
nonplussed wrote:Think Murphy and Fitzgerald may have played themselves out of selection. Earls played well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But what backrower would replace Murphy at this stage with TOD already out? Murphy can play all three positions, but is not outstanding in any of them. Someone like Dominic Ryan might have been useful on the squad. Conan is not ready for the RWC. Still think Ireland are missing a trick by not playing Henderson at 6 in a warmup game for a bit of bulk and dog in the backrow.
I hope you are right about Fitz - but Joe seems to like him for some unknown reason.
NO Spiffer he certainly can't, somebody can hand him a 7 shirt but no matter how tight, he'll never fill it. He doesn't strike me as an 8 either I have to say, to lightweight. Heaslip is a relative lightweight for an 8, but he has an ability to cover ground that would make most 7s blush. And 6? Well, he's well down the rankings.

The truth is Murphy is a decent player, but he is no more a great player than Quiff, he just provides a versatile option, the New Quiff but not as annoying.

Let me educate the class. Anyone remember Ireland scoring tries for fun against Wales a few weeks back? Guess what the difference was? Go on, tell me. No?

OK here it is, Ireland had a 12 & 13 who can not only score tries themselves but they can both pass a ball. Then you play a Scotland team, worse by a distance than that Welsh selection & you stick D'Arcy at 12 whammo, you have a backline that doesn't move their legs never mind the ball. Stuck in treacle. Today? A guy at 13 who is clueless, there was never any prospect of Ireland moving the ball barring the telegraphed Sexton loop. Fitzgerald had no idea either where he was or the ball was for most of the game.

I question FibberJoe, I question why do you spurn two full warm up matches by making selections that simply mean you have no option to use your backline for anything but kick chasing & today both the kicking & chasing was distinctly average, despite Dave Kearney's best efforts.

I'm not bothered that Sexton was rusty, I am bothered that there has been not a hint of the backs playing rugby since Cardiff, Ireland might just conceivably top the group playing boring conservative kick & chase, SA won the thing in 2007 playing kick & chase against England playing bish & bosh. Ireland should have ambition to be better than quarterfinalists but I doubt that will happen if this is the approach.

Next week, I expect Engand to bludgeon & run rings round Ireland, a chastening experience awaits, you simply can't switch it on & off & Ireland today were lucky even to get within a TMO shout of winning, they deserved nothing from a dismal dismal display.
Agree, think Ireland will get their arris handed to them.
Cave/ earls worked well, as they''d played together before in the same positions at U20 level. Keet looked decent with Dc inside. That's the beauty of DC, sadly. This seems obvious back up to 12/13 starting with Henshaw and Payne. Cave has therefore played with Keet and Payne in dual positions that WORK . Seems obvious to take both, with Earls also a useful winger. Cave a better 12 than Madigan and 13 than Payne. But I fear Lukewarm will go. Really sad for Caveman #facedoesn't fit.

I've developed a sneaking regard for Keet tbf. Ballsy wee git, even if thick. If DC doesn't make it, hope he does. Darwin forbid its Luke. Shyte on a stick.
Exterminate all rational thought
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

scrum5 wrote:Apologies about Ryan being poor, I thought he came on for POM rather than the 68th minute for Fitzgerald, that would then explain why I had him as AWOL ...... :duh:
Indeed. It was SOB and he certainly was AWOL.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Thought Henderson was fantastic. Completely outplayed POC.

Fitzgerald useless. All fart and no brad pitt. Murphy is useless at 7. The guy will travel and is good cover for 6 and 8 but he's definitely not a 7.

Dave Kearney class.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Read that Sean Fitzpatrick and Stuart Barnes both suggested that Henderson should be starting in the back-row. Whilst Barnes may or may not know much about forward play I respect an AB legend's view that Hendo should be starting… of course Joe is the only one that matters.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Read that Sean Fitzpatrick and Stuart Barnes both suggested that Henderson should be starting in the back-row. Whilst Barnes may or may not know much about forward play I respect an AB legend's view that Hendo should be starting… of course Joe is the only one that matters.
The only question is at whose expense?
I think O'Mahoney is massively important especially in the first half. His work rate is extraordinary. It could equally be argued that Heaslip is peerless at 8 and O'Brien, at his best, is a phenomenal player who is absolutely necessary. Toner is the guy we can best do without if we are to get our 8 best forwards on the pitch. None of the others can go into the second row except Hendy so that's the decision made. It makes itself.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Hendo is worth 10 POMs
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Hendo is worth 10 POMs
Rubbish, the current rate is 2 POMs to the Hendo. It was last 10 POMs when he had just had a shoulder operation.

You've been helped. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rubbish, the current rate is 2 POMs to the Hendo. It was last 10 POMs when he had just had a shoulder operation.

You've been helped. Image
I'm making my own market and offering 10 POMs for a Hendo
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Is 10 POMs the same as 5 pom-poms?

Watch yersel young man! >threaten
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Your are simply wasting your POMs then, people will dine out on your generosity.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Nobody has yet given me a Hendo for my 10. Maybe he is worth more than 10
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:Nobody has yet given me a Hendo for my 10. Maybe he is worth more than 10

Say that to the face. :lol:

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:Nobody has yet given me a Hendo for my 10. Maybe he is worth more than 10

Say that to the face. Image

I would but he'd be too busy holding an old granny by the throat
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
I would but he'd be too busy holding an old granny by the throat
Well at least he wouldn't be bowing down and feeling all clumsy and foolish in front of some auld wan. :D