Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland v.Scotland

Post by Russ »

Wee Madigan is Jesus
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

didn't know about the 72h rule. Nah, you'd need 3 scrum halves I think in that case. Rugby is so attritional, the squads could probably do with being a bit bigger.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

againstthehead wrote:didn't know about the 72h rule. Nah, you'd need 3 scrum halves I think in that case. Rugby is so attritional, the squads could probably do with being a bit bigger.
Oh no the game is too tough give them more players

Boo hoo hoo

Whiney much?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Wee Madigan is jesus --- is that the reason he is crucified ,by Baggy ,

every time he plays for Ireland

i love black humour---- at times---- ( Frankie Boyle , Russell Brand and Jonathon Ross the Humour Kings of Brittain --- tasteless Brats )---

But black humour can serve purpose provided you admit that it tasteless
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Does a coach get a team to play to his ideas and views on how he wants a team to play, how he wants to " go forward" or does he see what he has as players and builds a plan around that without any other options other than a one dimensional game.

I await the responses.
Only a fool would attempt to implement a game plan that his players are incapable of delivering. So his starting point is always the players' skill set after which he builds his patterns to optimise the returns.

That would be my approach anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The other question is whether or not a good coach is capable of taking an individual, or a set of players, and teaching them new skills so that he can get them to play an evolving, improving brand of rugby?
I suspect there aren't many coaches around who are capable of that but Joe may be one of them. Meantime, he has produced the goods with what he has at present.
I think it's fair to say that, if he had been the coach a decade ago, Ireland would have won more slams and championships than we managed with Eddie and Deccie.
Bo***cks to Brexit
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

An old saying states "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear "

Given that Joe has the players for about 3 weeks for the AIs and about 6 weeks during the 6 nations and possibly 8 weeks before the World Cup and that the squad is constantly changing mostly through injury but sometimes due to retirement or failure to achieve the standard required or meet the needs as perceived by the coach .

It is unlikely that time is spent teaching new skills but time would be utilised trying to improve existing skills and identify how the individual skills of each player can be used to obtain a unified team effort .

Rugby is a team game and my major reservation about the players like Fitz, Earls, Zebo and to a degree Madigan is that while individually they much to offer they appear to self centred, they may contribute to the team but fail to contribute to the" team effort".
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Quote for today:

you can't make an erudite post from a barely connected tirade of ballix

True fact that. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

I can see the argument for two scrum-halves in the squad, purely because Ireland only have two that are remotely good enough to play international rugby that are in the frame. But as has been pointed out, the risks to that approach are huge. As it is, Boss never was an international standard player, even at his prime but as time has passed, the life and energy he sucks out of the game have become more and more obvious. I like Marmion and hopefully he'll improve in time but the number of his passes that begin dying in the air is cause for alarm - this, too, has the effect of sucking the life out of the game, whilst also providing a potential calamity for the first receiver... One could almost be tempted to hope that Schmidt might remember Stringer or O'Leary. Somehow, I can't imagine either being worse than the utter dross Boss served up on Saturday. A third scrum-half has to go but, personally, I hope we don't have to see him play too much.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Duncan Williams is available. That would solve all our scrum half issues. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:Duncan Williams is available. That would solve all our scrum half issues. :D
Duncan Williams selection for Ireland solves all Munsters issues but none of Irelands
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
Shan wrote:Duncan Williams is available. That would solve all our scrum half issues. :D
Duncan Williams selection for Ireland solves all Munsters issues but none of Irelands
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

From Spain,
what's all this doom and gloom?
Joe has us second in the world rankings and 2 6N championships and we are "ordinary"?

He was never going to show his hand in warm up matches but he has still won them playing 2nd and 3rds players.

So what are we moaning about?

PS Source down here who is well placed tells me "Church" Healy is not well and has loss of feeling on his left side. Race against time for him.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dublin4 wrote: what's all this doom and gloom?
The Ulster Way. :D
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Dublin4 wrote:From Spain,
Joe has us second in the world rankings and 2 6N championships and we are "ordinary"?

He was never going to show his hand in warm up matches but he has still won them playing 2nd and 3rds players.

PS Source down here who is well placed tells me "Church" Healy is not well and has loss of feeling on his left side. Race against time for him.
Now that is something to be doom and gloom about... Think we'll struggle against the top sides without him. World class when fit.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

againstthehead wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:From Spain,

Now that is something to be doom and gloom about... Think we'll struggle against the top sides without him. World class when fit.
On a personal level, loss of feeling on one side sounds very worrying, never mind the RWC.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall