Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Lions Tour of NZ 2017

Post by Snipe Watson »

Schmidt will be gone.

Maybe a surprise coach, not one of the four home nations coaches.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

Was wondering if a non-international coach would get a shot. Gregor Townsend anyone?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

kUD wrote:Was wondering if a non-international coach would get a shot. Gregor Townsend anyone?

If he can get the Lions playing like Glasgow - Yes!
Then again what about Pat Lam - if he can get them playing like Connacht.......
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Spiffsson wrote:
kUD wrote:Was wondering if a non-international coach would get a shot. Gregor Townsend anyone?

If he can get the Lions playing like Glasgow - Yes!
Diving and play-acting, ya mean? :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Lions are a lot like Belgium
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Potential Irish Lions?

Front Row-Mcgrath and Best should but no real outstanding front rowers around so anyone can find form and expect to go.

Second row-Most competitive area so none.Unless Dillane bolts massively.

Back row - Hendy for his ability to play 2nd row, Heaslip at a push but Billy V and Falateau are ahead right now. POM if he gets form.Sob likewise.

Half Backs-Murray and Sexton nailed.PJ can do it if he keeps that form up but I can't see them selecting a 10 who isn't playing regularly for their country.13 tackles from a 10 as he did in SA last werk is the sort of D you will need in NZ

Centres- Great potential for Henshaw and Marshall to go as general centre play in the home nations has been poor. Roberts and Joseph in pole but noone really nailed on.

Wings- North and Nowell favourites but up for grabs for Andy T and one other.

Fullback- Brown Hogg Goode Williams Halfpenny(if fit) all will be in contention with only Hogg nailed on now. Paynes only chance of going is if he continues to be selected there.Rob K no chance.

Obviously a lot will depend on the coach who will go with lads he trusts and has worked with.
If one thing we must learn from recent years is that form should be the top criteria for selection.
Form xv
Hogg, North, Marshall, Farrell, Williams, Ford, Murray, Billy V, Haskell, Hendy, Awj, Otojay, Nel, Best, Makko V.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote:These summer tours are a chance for players to really lay claim to a place in the team for the first Test, but how many certainties would you say there are right now?

I can't see anyone looking beyond North or Alun Wyn Jones.

Beyond them, there seems to be plenty of healthy competition but I'd be surprised if Hogg and Billy V don't feature.
We like Will Greenwood don't we?

He has North at 11, Hogg and Billy in with Toby F at 6. Watson at 14 who I think is better than he's given credit for.

No AWJ and horrible Hartley as skipper.

Only Ireland players are Henshaw at 13 and CM.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:The Lions are a lot like Belgium
Worth seeing but not worth travelling to see?

For the sake of any new poster who hasn't heard this before - fu@k the Lions, I have no interest in them whatsoever and as they will be a heavily English squad, I hope NZ - a bunch of basterds themselves & low class fans - beat nine shades of bejaysus out of them.

Gatland will of course be coach again on the basis of winning a Lions series last time out albeit against an injury ravaged Oz who still would have won if Kurtley Beale hadn't slipped in his own shyte with a simply winning penalty

#feckthelions
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Potential Irish Lions?

Front Row-Mcgrath and Best should but no real outstanding front rowers around so anyone can find form and expect to go.

Back row - Hendy for his ability to play 2nd row, Heaslip at a push but Billy V and Falateau are ahead right now. POM if he gets form.Sob likewise.

Half Backs-Murray and Sexton nailed.PJ can do it if he keeps that form up but I can't see them selecting a 10 who isn't playing regularly for their country.13 tackles from a 10 as he did in SA last werk is the sort of D you will need in NZ

Centres- Great potential for Henshaw and Marshall to go as general centre play in the home nations has been poor. Roberts and Joseph in pole but noone really nailed on.

Fullback- Brown Hogg Goode Williams Halfpenny(if fit) all will be in contention with only Hogg nailed on now. Paynes only chance of going is if he continues to be selected there.Rob K no chance.

Obviously a lot will depend on the coach who will go with lads he trusts and has worked with.
If one thing we must learn from recent years is that form should be the top criteria for selection.
Form xv
Hogg, North, Marshall, Farrell, Williams, Ford, Murray, Billy V, Haskell, Hendy, Awj, Otojay, Nel, Best, Makko V

You been on the sauce Jizzer? No way will Wazza take Rory or Luke. The team will be as English dominated as the last was Welsh, and Wazza will pick a taffybastard who voted BRexit in all tight calls for squad inclusion. Finally he is a mug if he doesn't take Payne, unquestionably one of the best players in these islands.

Of course the Irish players will hope Schmidtferbrains gets the job but I can't see it happening, the committee don't depose a winning Lions coach if he still wants the gig & Wazza will want the gig. Ask Geeks.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I know mate it was just on current form.As I pointed out last time the not taking of Rory was a definite Rowntree call not Garland. He actually questioned it.
Personally not sure if Haskell will keep his form up.
Hope not
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

0 interest
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Then don't go in the thread and post then.
Its not rocket science.
onefisbetterthan2
Novice

Post by onefisbetterthan2 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Potential Irish Lions?

Form xv
Hogg, North, Marshall, Farrell, Williams, Ford, Murray, Billy V, Haskell, Hendy, Awj, Otojay, Nel, Best, Makko V

You been on the sauce Jizzer? No way will Wazza take Rory or Luke. The team will be as English dominated as the last was Welsh, and Wazza will pick a taffybastard who voted BRexit in all tight calls for squad inclusion. Finally he is a mug if he doesn't take Payne, unquestionably one of the best players in these islands.

Of course the Irish players will hope Schmidtferbrains gets the job but I can't see it happening, the committee don't depose a winning Lions coach if he still wants the gig & Wazza will want the gig. Ask Geeks.
I hate to say it, but Baggy Pants is right IMO

Coach will be Wazza (my preference would be Cotter & JS) - Cotter is a proper hard nut who knows how to win, JS is the best backs coach in these Islands

Wynn Jones will probably be captain - got to be better than Hartley. Don't think the Lions blazers will wear a kiwi accent as captain

Team - who knows, its 12 months away. Ulster will have 2 on the plane (Hendo & Payne), don't think Rory will go (Gatland certainly wont take him after the last tour). Anyone else will depend on the size of the party (everyone will have Olding down as the ;bolter'; if Bowe comes back in 2009 form, he might go as well)

For what it's worth, my team if the first test was tomorrow:

Hogg
North
Payne
Farrell
Watson
Biggar
Murray
McGrath
Hartley
Nel
AWJ
Otoje
Hendo
Warburton
Faletau

Will eat my own Brennan if more than half that team start the first test though!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Payne is not even the best 13 in Ulster let alone in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Payne is not even the best 13 in Ulster let alone in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
I don't get this Hogg is a sure thing either. 15 is the most competitive position. I wouldn't pick Hogg ahead of Payne or Brown.