Ireland U20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland U20s

Post by Russ »

Someone remind me why Ireland poops all over Georgia and Romania etc by not awarding caps?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Someone remind me why Ireland poops all over Georgia and Romania etc by not awarding caps?
Maybe you should tell the class why a game for Emerging Ireland should be "capped", when there are players who don't get a game for their provinces?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
Russ wrote:So Dow can play in our back row
Yeah Stockdale definitely not a number 8! Wasn't that impressed with either of our wingers, Arnold played well with ball in hand but then decided to start booting it which achieved little. Dow and Thompson in the forwards both had good games, Thompson especially. Their best players I thought were their 8 and their 7 who both made loads of ground. Was quite an entertaining game, it looked like we had them with mauls and pick and goes in the forwards, and pretty much everywhere else they were better.
Just how much worse than some of the crap we play in the back would Dow be, how long till we start blooding him?
Sure why play Dow in the Backrow when we can convert Stockdale, :duck: seriously , I see Taggart is away with emerging Ireland to play Georgia and Uruguay, so if he is good enough for that standard wtf did we miss in the dross brought from down under including Ross

I see Peter Nelson is also with Emerging Ireland??

Don't be schtupid, we're converting Sam Arnold to an 8. Jeez.
It's the hope that kills you.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
Yeah Stockdale definitely not a number 8! Wasn't that impressed with either of our wingers, Arnold played well with ball in hand but then decided to start booting it which achieved little. Dow and Thompson in the forwards both had good games, Thompson especially. Their best players I thought were their 8 and their 7 who both made loads of ground. Was quite an entertaining game, it looked like we had them with mauls and pick and goes in the forwards, and pretty much everywhere else they were better.
Just how much worse than some of the crap we play in the back would Dow be, how long till we start blooding him?
Sure why play Dow in the Backrow when we can convert Stockdale, :duck: seriously , I see Taggart is away with emerging Ireland to play Georgia and Uruguay, so if he is good enough for that standard wtf did we miss in the dross brought from down under including Ross

Don't be schtupid, we're converting Sam Arnold to an 8. Jeez.
Would he not make a better Prop
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:Someone remind me why Ireland poops all over Georgia and Romania etc by not awarding caps?
Maybe you should tell the class why a game for Emerging Ireland should be "capped", when there are players who don't get a game for their provinces?
The Irish team are:
1. Playing the other nations 1st 23
2. They are selected to play for Ireland, when no other Irish team is playing
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Arnold was the only back with the physicality to take on the NZ wide players.
There can be only one
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:

Taggart was born in Oct 94, Dow in Jan 95 so not really too much difference in them age wise, never seen Taggart play so can't comment on their physicality. Maybe this is why we have more players going out than coming in, some of the academy guys are going to get their chance?!
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Not sure Taggart is better than Pritchard or Mullholland who both played Irish clubs and have had excellent seasons in the AIL.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

I think Taggart needs to be tested at this point to find out what he can offer. If he is good enough or going to be good enough he should show it this summer. If he shows up well, he can and should be pushed up into the senior Ulster squad.
There can be only one
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Hapax Legomenon wrote:I think Taggart needs to be tested at this point to find out what he can offer. If he is good enough or going to be good enough he should show it this summer. If he shows up well, he can and should be pushed up into the senior Ulster squad.
There is a huge difference in U20 rugby and PRO12 rugby, look at the stats over the years for all not just Ulster U20 players and see how few have made it to the top.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

But Rooster the question is not are they good enough for pro12 rugby

It is, are they better than what we have now
And given I'm a better 7 than Cross the answer is yes
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'd agree there's a lot of players who don't make the eventual cut, but given the incredible lack of back row options surely Dow and Taggart are worth a shot. Surely.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

BuckRogers wrote:Not sure Taggart is better than Pritchard or Mullholland who both played Irish clubs and have had excellent seasons in the AIL.
I've seen Mulholland's name come up in a Ravens squad or two so he's on their radar it would seem, I don't think Pritchard has had any involvement recently(though I have found him in a squad from 2012) though I'm open to correction on that. I think the preseason friendlies should give us a reasonable idea of what their plans are for these players(though that said Atkinson was penned in for the match against Exeter until he mysteriously disappeared on the day for Taggart to step in).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:I'd agree there's a lot of players who don't make the eventual cut, but given the incredible lack of back row options surely Dow and Taggart are worth a shot. Surely.
A lot of time and money has been invested in them and they have both been here long enough to have shown some indication if they are likely to cut the mustard or not. If they are not good enough, cut them loose. I agree, if Taggart goes well in the emerging side, the next step is to move into the Ulster squad for preseason games and then into the main squad if he shows the necessary quality at each stage. Last thing we need is guys clogging up the academy who are never going to deliver on the considerable investment.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
The Irish team are:
1. Playing the other nations 1st 23
2. They are selected to play for Ireland, when no other Irish team is playing
Generally in competitions designed for our A or development team.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk