Steve Walsh retires...

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Colin0395
Novice

Steve Walsh retires...

Post by Colin0395 »

... with immediate effect.
The referee who was to officiate England's Six Nations decider against France this weekend has announced his immediate retirement.

New Zealander Steve Walsh says he has made the decision so he can pursue business interests outside of rugby.

"I would not want my new focus to impact the integrity of the competitions in which I am involved," said the 43-year-old.

No announcement has been made about Walsh's replacement at Twickenham.

England host France on Saturday as the Six Nations comes to a thrilling conclusion.

Stuart Lancaster's side, who lead the table on points difference, are locked on six points with Ireland and Wales.

But if Ireland and Wales lose, against Scotland and Italy respectively, then France can lift the trophy with a comprehensive win against England.

Walsh, who has officiated at four Rugby World Cup tournaments, was set to take charge of his 61st Test match.

"I have lived my dream, and I am truly grateful for every experience that I have had in rugby. It's been an incredible journey," Walsh added in a statement issued by the Australian Rugby Union.

"I would be doing all of the key stakeholders in the game - from officials to the players to the fans - an injustice if I was unable to 100% channel my energies and devote my full attention towards refereeing Super Rugby and Test Matches."
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31987835
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Steve Walsh retires...

Post by Spiffsson »

Many punters seem to like him. I am not one of them. Can't stand his smarmy, matey, I'm-yer-pal lads, style.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The day before a match, he resigns? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Something particularly smelly in the state of Denmark, methinks.

One think is certain, England will claim this is unfair. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope the get Dudley Doright.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

It is bizarre that he's announced his retirement the day before an international match.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

He who controls himself controls his business
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

A popular man with the laydeez...

A few years ago I was watching an international in Philomena's in London and Walsh was the ref. There was a table of women in having a drink after doing some shopping but they were paying no attention to the rugby.

A close up of our mate Steve came on the screen, one of the women spotted him, and they were drooling over him for the rest of the game, undoubtedly enthralled by his firm, but fair, mastery of the laws of the game.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Once saw him and Barnes coming out of the bookies waving big wedges of tenners at each other and laughing.

Clancey was behind and disgustedly threw away a beaten docket. I picked it up and found that it had been put on a Pro12 match of ours he'd been reffing.
It had Glasgow to win by less than a score, and then I remembered the 7 penalties he'd given against us in the last 10 mins, and a penalty try against us from a 5m scrum ON GLASGOW'S LINE!
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Barnes will be delighted. He has got sole claim to the top level of the full-of-himself ranking.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'd like to think that this was known by the IRB and the 2 teams involved long before the announcement today. Certainly we had questioned it already this week.

I assume whatever business he is now involved with creates a conflict of interest.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I heard he is doing a Paddy Power ad. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Very strange timing! He ruled himself out of the Wales Ireland game which Whitestick Barnes did last week. All we need now is David Cameron to announce his complete confidence in him. I always disliked his style.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

for dog and ulcer wrote:Very strange timing! He ruled himself out of the Wales Ireland game which Whitestick Barnes did last week. All we need now is David Cameron to announce his complete confidence in him. I always disliked his style.
Cameron is not a Gatland to support Walsh
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Russ wrote:
for dog and ulcer wrote:Very strange timing! He ruled himself out of the Wales Ireland game which Whitestick Barnes did last week. All we need now is David Cameron to announce his complete confidence in him. I always disliked his style.
Cameron is not a Gatland to support Walsh
Substitute any party leader of your choosing or football club owner. :D
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I suspect the England match would have been very different if Walsh had remained ref.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Oh deary me..
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”