Welsh back line

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Welsh back line

Post by bazzaj »

Spiffsson wrote:
bazzaj wrote:NS is spot on with all of that.
As is Gatlands inability to identify that he needs plan b when plan a isn`t working as jiffy always bangs on about.
Tipuric and Hook not getting a look in is strange as both offer completely different things from Lydiate/Warbuton or Biggar/ Priestland.
Similarly Cipriani or Armitage don`t get a look for England, I think modern NH coaches prefer the do a job and carry out game plan options rather than any maverick or individualism.
Sad really as those are the players that the people love to watch.
I'd start Tipuric at 7 on any Welsh team, whether the overrated Warburton's fit or not. Hook is a different kettle of fish. When he first appeared on the scene he was an exciting young attacking FH who promised great things. If he had stayed at 10, things might have been different, and he might have realized his potential. As it is, he's been shunted from 10/12/15 and now just runs around the field with the same old plays and offers little. I think he has missed the boat. Anscome is probably the player to turn to now for something different, at least until Cement Head has the sense to include future great Rhys Patchell in the squad. ( That said, I think Bigger is a very sound, underrated FH who happens to be playing in a poorly coached team.) Lydiate is a one trick pony who does his one trick well (he did not invent low tackling BTW) but that's not enough to nail down a spot on an international team.
I think for me Sam Davies at the Ospreys has the makings of a very good 10 in the future even ahead of Patchell.
Biggar or Priestland line their outside backs up by not particularly threatening the line themselves, whilst the two younger lads do offer more of a attacking threat.
However Patchchell and Davies don`t have the game management of the other pair just yet which will come with time and experience.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Yes, Davies and Patchell are already good players with bags of natural talent and will only get better. Owen Williams of Leicester is developing OK too. Not as potentially brilliant as the other two, but sound and seems to have a big match temperament. I'm sure all three are totally piissed off after paying their dues to see a lad like Anscome walk right into the squad from NZ (though, fair doos, his ma is Welsh).
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote:Was debating with a mate if Wales had one of the best rugby back lines in World rugby or not.
Love to hear the view from the hill and won't influence by offering what my view is at this point.
Yes or no will suffice if you don't want to over indulge.
Thanks in advance.

I would say no. In attack they can be quite dangerous in the right circumstances because of their size and pace but defensively they are neither individually or collectively good enough.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Russ
Bigger can control a game in a similar manner to RoG he can get you into the opposition half with the big boot but like RoG he is predictable . Outside a good scrum half I would choose Jackson every time over Bigger but only if he has a good scrum half with a long consistent pass . Jackson has shown the ability to create things for the players round him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist